Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Listerine Mouthwash

This guide contains uses for Listerine mouthwash. This oral health product can be used in a variety of ways for personal health and around the house.

My RV has got little, biting black bugs. They are not fleas or ticks, but they bite like them. I asked a pet shop owner what he would do. He suggested that I try the original, yellow Listerine. He uses it at his pet shop to kill mites, fleas and ticks. I did, and it works!

I put some in a spray bottle to spray around the RV, on the dog, and on us. Yellow Listerine does not stain fabric nor is it harmful to humans and pets. One has to keep using it for a while because the eggs left hatch into nymphs. They bite too, but the yellow Listerine does kill them all.

Source: Petter Patter Pets

Have had this problem to for three years now and everyone keeps saying they are midges as we live in far north Queensland. No they are not. Have got some off my body and they are now floating in mentholated spirits and was going to march them to the Doctor and ask for a referral to the tropical health dept which I was advised to do by CSIRO. However, going to get Listerine right now and do your recommendation. I have four automatic pyrethrin sprays going off every 7 minutes but they keep coming back. Listerine sounds much better. Will let you know the outcome, but this has given me hope as I am slowly going INSANE. I am thankful though as they do not effect my son. Very Much thanks, Caroline

January 13, 2012 Flag

I keep a small spray bottle of Listerine (the gold-colored) in the bathroom. After I have finished rinsing my toothbrush, I give it a few sprays with the Listerine to kill any germs remaining on the toothbrush.

By Judy from MT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do something like this, I pour Listerine on the toothbrush, so that it sinks into the hard-to-spritz places.

October 28, 2016 Flag

I love the amber colored mouthwash, whether name brand or not. It is useful for so many things. When my hand sanitizer small bottles are almost empty, I shake them up with the antiseptic mouthwash in them. This formula cleans hands as well as the hand sanitizer if not better.

It you wash and fill the hand sanitizer bottle with just Listerine, you can squirt some on your toothbrush and clean it before you brush your teeth. It does quite a job by itself, for brushing teeth.

It is really nice to have a bottle around in the kitchen as well to squirt a little in the dishwater or on a utensil to clean with, and then rinse. There are all sorts of ways to use this kind of mouthwash and I always have it on hand.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found out the other day, when I was trying to get blood out of a white fabric, that if I sprayed it with the Listerine, the mint kind, the stain came right out, like it dissolved the stain.

To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine - a powerful antiseptic.

To get rid of flies or mosquitoes go to Walmart and buy the brown Equate bottle of mouthwash. Put in a sprayer and spray around the house, both on the ground and as high as you can get. Works well the next day, no flies or mosquitoes.

Get more cleaning and germ killing power with your steamer cleaner if you add a little mouthwash to the measure of water your steamer uses! I have done this countless times and always love the clean feeling this gives me!

December 5, 2007 Flag

Can someone please tell me that if you use Listerine on your toe fungus - can you reuse the same Listerine again. I soaked in it but it is so expensive to buy, I do not want to keep buying it.

Leila from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Once you use it, it becomes contaminated and shouldn't be used again. Saturate a cotton ball with it and apply thoroughly. Let air dry. Does Listerine really work for this?

Best Answer

My husband uses listerine for his toe nailfungus and is working great. He has a bottle of listerine that he uses ONLY for this purpose. He put a little in a dish and uses a cotton ball to apply. and discards all after each use. (he does save the dish for the next use) He does this morning and evening and is having good results. Hope it works for you.

July 16, 2010 Flag

Has anyone every tried the homemade remedy for repelling mosquitoes using Listerine? If so, does it really work? I tried it and it didn't seem to work. How is it made?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have tried it and have found that it does work, The key thing to remembe is you want to use the green colored listerene not the goldish looking kind, the ingredent that does the trick is the eucalyptis and th menthol. Other brands work as good likes scope or even generic. Spray as needed on clothing or skin and even outdoor items you will be around, like window sills, chairs, etc. Also works wonderfully on mosquito bites, just add some to a cottonball and dabble on the bite, immediately stops itchig and starts healing quicker too.

Best Answer

I have been using listerine for mosquito for awhile now and I am amazed at how good it works. I would use it at family gatherings, spray my back yard before people would arrive and no one would complain about being bit at all, it really works. I didn't believe it would work at first but now I am a believer.

September 10, 2010 Flag

What are some uses for mouthwash?

By Elaine from Irmo, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use it as a deodorant when I travel. Also, it can be used as an antiseptic for a small wound, emphasis on small because it does sting. It also helps when applied to feet to combat foot odor.

Best Answer

If you're using the Original Listerine (amber in color), put some in a spray bottle. Spray yourself when going outside, especially on your skin. Mosquitos will leave you alone! Again this has to be the original Listerine, not the "flavored" ones.

August 11, 2008 Flag

I am using the baby oil, Listerine, and water as my dog itches all the time. I want to know how often do I use it? Thank you.

Kay

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A better solution to the itching would be to find out what's causing it. Your dog may have food allergies (wheat, corn & soy are common), and no amount of bathing him will stop the itch. You can also try giving your dog cod liver oil. Great overall skin conditioner. Hope this helps.

I agree, sounds like a skin or food allergy.

July 7, 2009 Flag

I heard something about using Listerine to help get rid of fleas. Yesterday I got the Listerine and now I can't find the article. Can someone help?

By sassier299 from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this at Dollar Stretcher:

http://www.stre  /03/03jun09b.cfm

And found this good article, too:

http://www.howt  et-rid-of-fleas/

August 10, 2010 Flag

A GREEN way to keep mosquitoes away is Listerine Mouthwash. Dilute the mouthwash half and half with water and spray it around the perimeter of the area you are sitting in and the pesky bugs will keep away. Re-spray about every 45 minutes. Start from the outside of your area and work inwards. This only takes a minute or so and is much cheaper than those bug sprays and preventives.

By sweetie6116 from HOT Southern GA

Answers:

Mouthwash As Mosquito Repellent

Love your tip! Thank you! (07/17/2010)

By gladys10

Mouthwash As Mosquito Repellent

We used to use original Listerine when I was little. This sounds like a much better use for the stuff, lol! (07/17/2010)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 13, 2010 Flag

winner.jpgI bought a small pump spray and filled it with Listerine. It has so many uses!

• I use it as a mouth spray to freshen breath. Extremely thrifty instead of buying all the branded mouth sprays. Saves me a fortune.

• Spray under your arms as an alternative to deodorant - if some of you are sensitive to the chemicals in roll-on and spray deodorants.

• Spray on kitchen work surfaces to kill all bacteria.

• Spray a little under your car seat. As the engine warms up it releases a mint fragrance to get rid of stale odours.

• Spray a little on a tissue and dab onto a developing spot.

• Use as an anti-bacterial spray for your hands when out and about. In case you sneeze of course, and for general cleanliness (For example- after pushing the supermarket trolley- you have no idea how much bacteria lives on the pushing handle!)

• Spray in between your toes and leave for a while then dry thoroughly. For the treatment of athlete's foot or overheated feet. If you are on your feet all day do this in your lunch break and it will revive tired feet too.

• Massage a few sprays into your scalp to treat and prevent dandruff.

• Spray a little onto a tissue and apply to any insect or bug bite, it lessens the swelling and relieves the itching.
So you see, one product does an awful lot. Now that's what I call being thrifty!

Source: Myself and various other sources (Books and the Internet mostly.)

By MONIQUE63 from Somerset, UK

Answers:

Use Listerine in a Spray Bottle for Many Uses

If you find Listerine too strong for mouthwash, simply dilute it, gradually reducing the water ove time until you can tolerate full strength. (05/26/2009)

By Frazzled Leslie

I use diluted mouthwash to soak my retainers in, works great! Thanks for all the tips! (05/27/2009)

By NoRulesArt

I see some of the uses of Listerine. Can it be any flavor to receive the benefits? Can you sanitize your toothbrush in Listerine and if so, how?

Anyone else with tips for Listerine? Thanks. Linda (05/27/2009)

By quickcooker

Excellent! I had no idea it had these uses. I do know one use it does not have and I'm glad you didn't list it.http://pestcemetery.com/home-remedies-work/ (05/29/2009)

By Dutch 1962

Wow, never knew that it had so many uses for it. Thanks for sharing. (06/07/2009)

By Butterflytouch

Anyone else with tips for Listerine? Thanks. Linda

Any flavour is OK, I use the mild minty one but any will do, they all have the same anti-bacterial effect.
For your toothbrush just soak the head in a capful -prop it up by a wall or a large object to save on pouring lots into a cup. Better still use an empty denture tablet tube. It stands up by itself and you only need enough Listerine to cover the head saving you money!

Monique :) (06/11/2009)

By Monique63

For Linda et al

This is how to prop up the toothbrush if you don't have an empty denture tablets tube :) (06/11/2009)

By Monique63

RE: Use Listerine in a Spray Bottle for Many Uses

*applause* (06/25/2009)

By .Schönheit4Leben.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 16, 2010 Flag

Put some Listerine in a small spray bottle and spray everywhere to keep mosquitoes away!

By arillas5633 from surrey UK

Answers:

Keep Mosquitoes Away With Listerine

In Florida we used to dab Listerine on fire ant bites to relieve the itch and burn. (07/03/2009)

By Mary T

Keep Mosquitoes Away With Listerine

Make sure the "Listerine" you use has thymol in it. That is the effective ingredient. (07/09/2009)

By jclaridge

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 2, 2009 Flag

Use Listerine as a mosquito repellent. My mother told me that she uses the original Listerine as a mosquito repellent for my daughters when she has them camping with them. She just put some in a small spray bottle and squirts them down before they go out to play and so far, they haven't had any bites.

I went to Wal Mart and got the generic brand of Listerine for about $3.00 and got 3 small squirt bottle at the dollar store... one for the house, one for the car and one for my travel bag. I filled all three bottles and still have over half a bottle of Listerine left over. Such an inexpensive way to keep the bugs away from yourself and the family!

By Curvaliscious from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Keep Mosquitoes Away with Listerine

Well I think that if it keeps them away instead of biting me I'll try it whats to lose. I went to Jamaica last summer and bought OFF and it didn't work. It seems like it made them come to me. 1.89 wont hurt! They have been biting me like crazy. I'm willing to try anything but OFF. (07/22/2008)

By by blondy

Keep Mosquitoes Away with Listerine

my grandmother used to put Listerine on my mosquito bites to make them go away. You can urban-myth me all you want, but they honestly disappeared quicker than when untreated.

Anyway - never thought of using it to repel them.

I got the OFF Skintastic stuff and I swear it just attracts them. I was the only one wearing it the other night and I had twice as many bites as my other friends. I've heard that Windex will keep them away too, although, not sure who wants to be spraying Windex on themselves. Ha ha ha! (07/28/2008)

Keep Mosquitoes Away with Listerine

Hi I was just wondering if you use this method full strength or do you add water? We are planning a family get together and I want for everyone to enjoy themselves and not have to worry about getting carried away by these pesty little bugs.

Thanks for all your help. Also do you have to use name brand or can you use the off brand stuff which works better? (08/02/2008)

By Tammy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The best and least toxic way to rid your outdoor area of nasty mosquitoes is with Listerine (the original Amber colored kind.)

Health & Beauty AdviceNovember 1, 2016
Mouthwash
Saving Money on Mouthwash
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Uses for Juicer Pulp
Uses for Juicer Pulp
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 12:08:44 AM on 10.0.0.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.