Uses for Old Sheets

Clean out your linen closet and put those old, worn, or stained sheets to a new use. This is a guide about uses for old sheets.

July 6, 2009 Flag

Just wanted to share an idea with you. I was at our local thrift shop to buy a sheet to re-cover the pads in our dogs cages and I bought a beautiful sheet for a $1.50 and find it's too nice to use in dog beds. Don't know what I will use it for now but got to thinking about all the decorating possibilities sheets have. I know some people are on very tight budgets. This might be an idea that could help.

By Joan

Top Comment

I have a friend that buys old sheets then tears them into strips & using the largest crochet hook you can buy, crochets them into throw rugs. I've used them for curtains, made summer dresses for myself & my granddaughter & I use several dark green sheets as tablecloths at my Saturday Market Booth. They work great because the launder so well & rarely fade. When they get to beat up to use for anything else they make wonderful drip cloths & absorbent rags for cleaning windows & mirrors.

Top Comment

I have sheet curtains in my house. Also pillow cases. I have made throw pillow covers out of them. I made a shower curtain out of one. You can even make a cover for your comforter out of sheets. You are only as limited as your imagination. If it can be made out of fabric, you can make it out of sheets.

Top Comment

Mine is also a rug craft; I split them into strips (especially flannel sheets) and make braided rugs.

Top Comment

Yes, just think of sheets as very wide fabric. I've done many of the suggestions here, and made a summer kimono out of one once that was lovely. I think the idea of retro dresses is lovely, you might even be able to squeeze out a mother/daughter sundress set.

July 6, 2009 Flag

Sheets are great, both new and used.

1. When purchasing new sheets, buy sheets individually and buy an extra sheet and make your own pillow cases, cheaper and you can get extras.

2. Old yardsale/flea market sheets make nice quilt backing.
Especially useful if you happen to find old quilts that were never assembled and you want an aged look to complement the front and back of the quilt.

3. Make coordinating window curtains from sheets. Great for master bedroom and adjoing master bath. Inexpensive decorator look!

4. Kitchen curtains. Coordinating cushions and table cloths.

Use your imagination. - Ms. Syd Barr - Dunkirk, MD

Answers:

Uses for Old Sheets

These are great ideas. Old flannel sheets can be used to make children's nightwear. You just cut the worn part out of the centre and use the good bits left. If the strips are too narrow for PJs, make pillow cases. Or even dusters!

There is no need to toss old sheets that are too thin in the middle, lol. (If only I could get thin in the middle!)
(06/15/2004)

By Anne

Making Dish Towels From Old Sheets

I make dish towels out of my old sheets. My children may use these to wipe their hands or whatever--they do it whether or not I give permission. These get stained but I don't mind. I keep my good ones for me to use.

(01/30/2005)

By Jill

Uses for Old Sheets

I've made shower curtains from antique sheets found at yard sales. The are easier to wash and more appealing to me than plastic. (01/30/2005)

By Genevieve

Old Sheets and Blankets

Donate old sheets and blankets to the humane society.
(03/04/2005)

By joni514

I have a small square tablecloth edged with a sewed on cotton lace border. It's one of my favorites because I remember sleeping on that small flowered bed sheet when I was a kid. Mom didn't throw out anything that had life left in it and she was quite the genius at coming up with second use ideas for everything. My nightgowns were once upon a time bed sheets, cotton for summer and flannel for winter. I haven't thought of these in years and it's fun to remember that the nightgowns Mom made always had a pocket in which to tuck a tissue.

those are good ideas, but you can also use sheets to make beautiful shower curtains as well as window curtains if you have one.

Pajamas bottoms are so easy to make from sheets. Just use a tee shirt for a top.

July 6, 2009 Flag

We are looking for all the practical uses for old sheets that are no longer in good enough shape to use.

Better Living Green Living ReusingMay 31, 2016
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
Bed Sheet Tent
Uses for Bed Sheets
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
🎉
🎄