Uses for Drinking Straws

Colorful Drinking Straws
Straws are handy not just for spill free drinking but for other jobs around the house. This is a guide about uses for drinking straws.

I know yogurt can be really messy. Just give kids a straw to drink the yogurt out of their container, no mess. So much easier.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Cut drinking straws into short lengths and insert through slits in pie crust to prevent juice from running over in the oven and permit steam to escape.

By Gary from NJ

When you go to use a straw for your drink, just run it under the tap to clean any dust that maybe inside. I use straws to drink my green tea as I use honey and cinnamon and the cinnamon sinks to the bottom.

I didn't think about rinsing my straws until I saw a picture online with a spider in it! I rinse them ALWAYS now! :D

To try to save yourself from getting cold sores, when eating in a restaurant with reusable glasses, always ask for a straw for each of your drinking glasses.

By Terri from NV

I buy unopened bags of straws to use as coffee and hot cocoa stir sticks. I pick them up at yard sales, party outlet stores or thrift stores cheap! I cut them in half, or thirds, if I get the extra long ones. They are cheaper than the regular stir sticks, thicker around for people with arthritis for easier holding, and totally easier to wash for reuse. I have saved tons of money on doing this as I have several coffee and cocoa drinkers in the house.

Note: If you have matching coffee cups, no one loses his or her cup if you use different colored straws or different length ones. And, I have yet to melt one in a hot liquid. They hold up nicely.

By Brenda from Tupelo, MS

To make the drinkable yogurts easier for my young children to drink, I poke a stir straw in through the removable top to prevent spilling! I also keep these stirring straws on hand in case we lose one of the straws from our juice boxes!

By Kristin