Wild Bird Photos

All kinds of feathered friends can make excellent photography subjects in interesting situations, if you can catch it. This guide contains wild bird photos.

October 8, 2013 Flag

With its unmistakable brilliant red color, the Northern Cardinal is one of the most popular and well-known song birds in North America.

The Northern Cardinal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about Cardinal information and photos. The Northern Cardinal or Redbird is a popular visitor at birdfeeders in the eastern United States. Their range also extends into southeastern Canada, and south into Mexico and Belize.

Cardinal in a tree.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

December 22, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
I went to the park in the early morning for a much needed walk. All of a sudden this big beautiful bird appeared and landed in front of me. It was awesome; it was so close. I stood there smiling and just admiring it. It looked right at me and didn't even get bothered at all by having its picture taken. Good morning to you too lovely birdie. ;)

Photo Location
Reid Park in Tucson, AZ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 11 Comments

December 16, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
Yesterday morning, my husband shouted, "You want to see something pretty? Come and look!" He was in the kitchen, looking out the window.

I looked, but didn't see anything unusual. Sitting in the pecan tree was a Red-shouldered Hawk. His back was to me and he blended in so well with the tree that I did not see him until he was pointed out to me.

Looking through the binoculars, I thought his back was his front because his head was turned all the way round.

Searching for a good meal, he hung around for about an hour giving me time to take pictures.

The average length of the Red-shouldered Hawk is 19 inches with a wing span of 40 inches and weight 1.5 pounds. They take a variety of prey including, small mammals, snakes, and frogs. "An Audubon Handbook Eastern Birds"

Location: North Carolina

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

July 24, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
Catbirds like tomatoes. They devour all I give them. Isn't that sweet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

November 15, 2010 Flag

I was already taking pictures of this lovely female cardinal when the downy woodpecker came in. He nipped her tail a little, hence the indignant attitude!

Cardinal and Woodpecker

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 30, 2011 Flag

It was an icy January morning in 2011, and I was snapping photos of the birds in our back yard here in north central Louisiana. I do this often from our back deck, it is like therapy for me! I was so happy to capture this fella's pose that day.

Cardinal in Frozen Tree

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 19, 2011 Flag

After a recent heavy snow, food was scarce and our feeder was the only game in town. The mornings are filled with blue jays, up to nine at a time sharing the feeder!

Blue Jay

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 21, 2016 Flag

This hawk visited our back yard several times. What a treat! I was lucky to have gotten such a great photo.

hawk on fence

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 10, 2010 Flag

Red cardinals are so pretty to look at in the snow in the winter. They decorate many calendars and Christmas cards, which is understandable. I hang my feeder close to the kitchen window, which gives me a meal time view of them.

Red Cardinals in the Snow

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 21, 2015 Flag

I managed to catch these two turtle doves in a tree in our backyard. They were enjoying the sun and didn't even notice me. They looked so peaceful and calm, as if nothing could ever disturb them.

Serenity Personified (Turtle Doves)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 28, 2015 Flag

I found him injured in my balcony and nursed him. Now he stays with us on most days. He flies out at times but generally returns to us.

green bird with red on head and throat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 12, 2016 Flag

I saw this bird sitting on my flower trellis and it was like he knew I was taking his photo and he posed for me.

sparrow

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2015 Flag

I noticed a baby bird that had just left the nest and was learning to fly. So cute!

small speckled baby bird

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 4, 2011 Flag

I happened to look out my kitchen window yesterday, and saw this beautiful cardinal sitting there posing for me!

Cardinal perched on tree branch.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 4, 2011 Flag

This was taken off my pool deck in my backyard. My husband was able to capture the wonderful moment of the baby cardinals in their nest waiting for their mom to come back with some food.

Baby Cardinals

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2011 Flag

These snowy egrets and Canadian geese seemed to be having a conference, as they were in the same place an hour later when I drove back by. The geese were letting themselves be heard while swimming back and forth in front of the Egrets.

egrets and geese meet

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 21, 2013 Flag

This cardinal sits in the forsythia bush every day as though he's posing for me. Sometimes he brings the Mrs., but she is very shy and stays in the background.

Cardinal in the snow

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 18, 2016 Flag

This little darling sits atop what appears to be a light and greets each person who walks through the doors of the emergency room. All the nurses loved it! I hope they let this little one stay here, since she has been here the whole time I have been staying here in the hospital with my mom.

bird nesting on light about hospital entrance

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2005 Flag

My husband climbed up in one of our backyard trees to hang some windchimes for me and discovered these precious baby doves. Aren't all of God's babies beautiful!

Baby birds.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 28, 2005 Flag

We built our own bird feeder pole from a piece of treated wood and iron planter hangers. As you can see from the picture, our feeders attract interesting birds. This Pileated Woodpecker has visited us twice. By dkhorse

Woodpecker at feeder.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 13, 2016 Flag

I think this is a dove, but I'm not for sure. I thought it was so pretty in the tree.

gray and black bird

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 15, 2013 Flag

The tranquility of the snow falling as a beautiful pair of cardinals rest on the bird feeder, was a picture I couldn't resist taking. :)

Pair of cardinals on bird feeder in the snow.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2012 Flag

Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal stopped off at my feeder here for a rare appearance together. They are usually separate eating while one watches. This time they were brave enough to be together

Cardinals

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 19, 2013 Flag

This beautiful snowy day brought some special visitors, a couple of cardinals sharing a meal and an adventure! There is also another bird that looks like it might be a woodpecker, and several other varieties of beautiful creatures, all having a nice winter meal!

Cardinals

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 21, 2010 Flag

This was a hawk I saw when I was on Big Sur in CA. I often spent my days off driving around there, it was so beautiful. It is so wonderful to see birds of prey in the wild. I live on the east coast, and you do not see them often.

hawk on dead tree branch

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 6, 2012 Flag

A close friend made this bird house. It is frequented by this darling little Blue Jay.

Blue Jay (Roan Mountain, TN)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 9, 2011 Flag

This guy is also a frequent visitor. He helps keep the the squirrel population under control, and also goes after the crows. Crows eat the eggs of other birds.

A red tailed hawk at the top of an evergreen tree.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2011 Flag

I saw my first cardinal this year, when we put out our grandson's new birdhouse. A beautiful sight to behold! Maybe the red birdhouse may bring more cardinals to our yard. My grandson sure hopes so.

photo of Foggy Day

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Photos WildlifeSeptember 25, 2014
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Prunus avium in bloom.
Wild Cherry Tree Information and Photos
Cardinal in a tree.
Cardinal Information and Photos
A nest containing bird eggs.
Moving Bird Eggs
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 9:17:22 AM on 10.0.1.54 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.