Bird Convention (Snowy Egrets and Canadian Geese)

These snowy egrets and Canadian geese seemed to be having a conference, as they were in the same place an hour later when I drove back by. The geese were letting themselves be heard while swimming back and forth in front of the egrets.

We have a few geese that stay year round, but most only stop over for a rest for a couple of weeks. Each day we have a pair that come up to our dock and stay a while. When the water is low, the egrets strut their stuff along the waters edge eating most of the summer.

By Ann Winberg

Hi I live in Ontario Canada, and I have seen one of those Egrets, while fishing near the Cavendish Plant, on Lake Erie. It is such a beautiful bird! Thanks for the lovely pic.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I had an experience with swans not wanting to share a big pond with Canada geese. Both resident swans were very actively driving the geese away. And it was no contest regardless of the number of geese -- they all departed for elsewhere.

BTW: Perfectionists are upset when exposed to mention of 'CANADIAN' geese. They are CANADA geese, according to said experts.

I agree. We have thousands of them that over-winter here in NE Ohio. If I was a Canadian I'd not want to claim them either. They are really dirty awful pests. Wherever they live people don't want to walk, believe me.

Reply Like this photo? Yes