Garden Bird Photos

Category Garden
The beauty of our feathered friends in the garden is rewarding to capture in a snapshot.This page contains garden bird photos.

You can easily attract this pretty song bird to your feeder by offering large nuts such as peanuts and sunflower seeds. Suet is also a favorite meal. This page contains nuthatch photos.

Nuthatch on the ground with green background.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Sparrows are a common garden visitor. Capturing these small birds at their daily activities is a fun pastime. This page contains sparrow photos.

A perching sparrow.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to hear what people in other parts of the country are seeing at their bird feeders. Since the winter finches are making a southerly push this fall, there may be some interesting birds showing up at your feeders. Some of the birds to look out for will be pine siskins, red and white-winged crossbills, Bohemian waxwings, common and hoary redpolls, red-breasted nuthatches, maybe some others.

Larry from Saint Joseph, MO

Answers

The photo I posted above is a Winter Wren. This is a regular visitor to Missouri during the colder months of the year. This was one which we banded at Missouri Western State University Campus, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Here's what we get in the southeastern corner of Virginia: cardinals, titmice,nuthatches, siskins, black-capped and Carolina chickadees, Virginia creepers, house and Carolina wrens, purple and house finches, painted buntings, redwings,juncos, peewees, viereos, towhees, cowbirds, red-breasted grosbeaks, bluejays, almost every kind of sparrow.

And of course, the "nuisance" birds like grackles. Also the "passing throughs" like warblers. Mockingbirds love my feeders,too -- they don't eat anything, they just like to chase the other birds away!

I live in cold Nova Scotia Canada. We get blue jays lookin for peanuts in a shell. They take all they can get and hide them and come back later and seem to know exactly where they are hidden. Sometimes the crows find them first! I wish we had the variety that you have in a warm climate. Happy bird watching from Canada

This afternoon we had a little Red-breasted Nuthatch show up at our backyard feeders.

It is a little unusual for us to get these. Our regular visitors unclude, Downy, Hairy and Red-headed Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Black-capped Chickcadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, American Goldfinch, Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, Dark-eyed Juncos, Common Grackles, House Sparrows and European Starlings.

Maybe this winter we will get an Evening Grosbeak. I have not ever seen one of these in Missouri!

In southern Australia we are in spring. The birds that are visiting our feeder are Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, sparrows, pink galahs, wattle birds, scarlet brow finches, crimson rosellas, native thrush, blue fairy wrens and bush wrens. We feed out a wild parrot bird mix and there seems to be something for all of them. We spent many happy hours watching their antics.

We had a bear bend our bird feeder in half last week to get to the feed. We live in Central Pennsylvania. I think that is the biggest "bird" we have ever attracted...

TDunleavy, a Black Bear would be awesome!

But I think I would rather get an Evening Grosbeak or Bohemian Waxwing. Are you getting either one of these at your feeders?

I love the birds that turn up at my feeder everyday. They are red birds, blue jays, mourning doves, cow birds, wood peckers titmice and nuthatches and some that I really don't know what they are, I just know that I love watching them.

I live in Va.Down the road a little ways from Roanoke Va.
Thanks for asking this question, as it was interesting to see what all types of birds everyone else has as well.
Teresa from Va.

Housefinches, goldfinches american, lesser goldfinch, black-capped chickees, bushtits, scrub jay, house sparrows, oregon junco, from Springfield, Or

Here is one of the photos I took of the little Red-breasted Nuthatch on the peanut feeder in our backyard. This was November 22 (Thanksgiving Day).

We are averaging 10 - 12 species of birds daily coming to our feeders. A couple of our favorites are the Red-breasted Nuthatch and the Carolina Wren. Others coming are Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, American Goldfinches, House Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos (some people call these, "Snow Birds"), Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, White-breasted Nuthatches, etc.

For some reason we are not getting the Black-capped Chickadees. This species is usually one of the most commonly found bird coming to feeders. I am not sure why we are not getting them in our yard. Is anyone else noticing the absence of these birds at their feeders?

I haven't seen any black capped chickadees either or much of anything else this year. I think it's all the stray cats roaming around the neighborhood, they eat the bird seed and, I fear, they're eating the birds, too. Well, I guess the poor cats are just trying to survive. Now that the leaves have fallen off the trees I found something surprizing and amusing: a bird nest with a big ziplock plastic bag woven into it! Half of the bag is sticking up almost as if it were a roof to shelter the nest. What kind of bird would do this and why? My mother said she saw bluejays going in and out of this tree all summer but the nest looks kind of small for a bird that size(on the other hand, mourning doves are rather large but have a small nest). Any theories, anybody?

Today at our feeder we had:
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Black-capped Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Still no Pine Siskins, Purple Finch or any of the other "hope for" birds.

I live in Massachusetts just noth west of Worcester. I beleive I saw a red bellied woodpecker at my feeder this morning. Just wondering if this is unusual for this bird to be this far north?

Red-belllied Woodpeckers are routinely found in the eastern half of the US. Only in the extreme northern parts of the northern tier of states would they be found only occasionally. I would say that they would be found in your area pretty regularly. Once it has found your feeder I would also suspect that it will be returning as long as you have seed/peanuts in your feeders.

** Your photo is of a Red-bellied Woodpecker.

We are experiencing a winter blizzard here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. The weather man gave a forecast of 1 to 3 inches of snow, wind at up to 35 miles per hour and low temperatures to 20 degrees F.

Presently there is about 10 inches of snow on the ground (and it is still snowing), the wind is blowing quite heavily and it is 23 degrees F.

The birds are "attacking the feeders". They almost seem to be in a "feeding frenzy". We are getting House Sparrows, House Finches, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-belllied Woodpeckers, Dark-eyed Juncos (affectionately, called "Snow Birds"), White-breasted Nuthatches, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens, Northern Cardinals and American Goldfinches. There has been a constant mix of these birds (about 50), all trying to fill their gizzards before nightfall.

I wonder what outside will look like in the morning!

Well, it is a sunny morning here in Saint Joseph, Missouri, and it seems all the regulars are back at our feeders. It is only 18 degrees F. but the birds are feeding in a much more leisurely manner this morning. In addition to the birds showing up yesterday, we have added a couple of Black-capped Chickadees this morning.

Here is a Blue Jay getting a little bit of breakfast from the peanut feeder.

So far this morning we have had fourteen (14) species visit.

This Christmas morning there was a pretty good showing of various birds at our backyard bird feeders.

American Goldfinches
Dark-eyed Juncos
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Brown Creeper (in trees near the feeders)
Downy Woodpeckers
Carolina Wren
House Finches
European Starlings (in trees near the feeders)
Pine Siskin (1) on niger seed sock with the goldfinches
Black-capped Chickadees
Red-breasted Nuthatches (2)
House Sparrows
Northern Flicker
Northern Cardinals
Blue Jay
White-breasted Nuthatch
and
a fly over Red-tailed Hawk

Today, the day after Christmas, we had seven PINE SISKINS show up at our backyard feeding station. They were congregating with the American Goldfinches on the niger seed, sock feeder.

Two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES continue to be daily visitors to our peanut feeder.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I was standing at my patio door trying to get a picture of a Baltimore Oriole that I could hear in my backyard when this little guy landed on the back of one of my patio chairs. This is a Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

By Mary Moo from Wilmington, IL

Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Comment Like this photo? 12

Photo Description
A while ago I put up baskets and wooden cheese boxes to help nest lost baby birds. Since then, the boxes and baskets have become homes to many a bird. I decided to hang some extra rods and broomsticks up so the older ones can hang out, too. This one is outside my bedroom window. I've become really good friends with this bird in particular, as well as a beautiful blue jay. They've gotten so used to me, they don't fly away when I'm stomping around in my room. I love this interaction!

Photo Location
Bay Area, CA

You can see the boxes here: Helping Out Lost Little Birds

Comment Like this photo? 7

Photo Description
I'll have to step back into the last century to get a quip that will adequately describe this little fella. I'm sure most of you have never heard it, maybe Litter Gitter and cybergrannie. As Little Jimmy Dickens said thousands of times, 'I'm little, but I'm loud'.

This loudmouth is in my back yard all spring, summer, and fall, every year. He sings the same few notes, very loudly, hundreds of times a day, every day from sun up til sun down. I hear another wren returning each and every call. (Well, that's what I use to think till I found out there is actually only one House Wren. Somehow, it's all done with mirrors).

His wardrobe is a bit drab; but here, as he caught the beginning rays of dusk, the acute angle set his feathers ablaze. I believe the proper name for this color combination is 'Bittersweet'

And so is my side of our relationship. He is an adorable creature, for sure. And he is very sweet, but such a loudmouth. We all know somebody just like that, don't we? It's OK. I'll take the bitter with the sweet.

Comment Like this photo? 7

We have several hummingbird feeders around the yard and Path Garden. This is at the front door where we can see this little guy standing "guard " over his own personal buffet.

At the other end of the house is another feeder and the hummers try to keep each other from getting to either one. Once in awhile two will play the game. They try to out fox the one standing guard by buzzing him and he'll chase that one while the other gets a drink.

It is fun to watch and makes me wonder how some people have a whole group at one feeder and we have to have a feeder for each little bird?

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

hummingbird on Wire Near Feeder

Comment Like this photo? 6

Photo Description
I snapped this photo of a pileated woodpecker pecking at a fresh tree stump in my neighbor's yard.

Photo Location
Saltville, VA

Comment Like this photo? 7

Shades of W.C. Fields, 'It's my little Chickadee'! I have seen pictures of chickadees eating from people's hands. To be able to have one of these beautiful creatures eating from my hand would keep me on cloud nine for weeks.

Chickadee at Feeder - bird on wood feeder

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I caught a pair of gray catbirds gathering nest building materials. Both gather materials, while the female builds the nest. The male can be distinguished here by the reddish patch at the rump.

Gray Catbirds Gather Nest Materials - catbird with nesting materials in its beak

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

I took this digital photo this afternoon in the garden here near the patio. The bird was sitting on the fence, and had been in the tomato garden earlier when I was out there.

Large Towhee Sitting on Fence Post

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I have had to stop feeding all the birds for now as the cow birds were taking over and coming in droves and hogging the feeders. They don't care for thistle nor do the other birds, but I love watching the gold finches and they are at the feeder most all day.

Gold Finches

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

These two local blue jay's visit my picnic table bird feeder daily. I took an old picnic table and turned it into a feast table for the birds. I only lay a few handfuls a day for the local birds to eat.

blue jays on picnic table

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Usually, I have trouble photographing in full sun. I don't have filters, and without them, everything takes on a washed out effect.

Birds In The Sun - male house finch

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

A new bird in the neighborhood: Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

bird at feeder

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

In the innocence of my youth, I bought food for squirrels to encourage their presence. Little did I know, I was aiding and abetting future mass destruction. This little bathing catbird is just as thoughtless and uncaring. He managed to find a hole in the netting I placed over my blueberry bushes.

Bathing Catbird - bird in bird bath

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I looked out the window and saw a flock of birds had landed in a small tree. I had no idea they would blend in with the leaves but I liked the effect.

many birds in a tree

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes