Making Newspaper Fire Logs

When making paper logs for fuel from newspapers, don't bother purchasing a commercial machine. In my experience they don't work very well. (I gave mine away!) All I do now, is:

• Tear and soak the newspaper in the usual way. Squeeze it into a largish ball.

• Wrap it in an old tea towel or half a discarded T-shirt. Twist the end of the towel until it is the shape of a Christmas pudding.

• Leave the end tightly twisted and place it on a paving slab. Place another heavy paving slab on the top and leave for about an hour (longer is better).

• Unwrap it and leave the log to dry.

• (Of course, you can make multiples in one go and are only limited by the number of tea towels and heavy weights you possess.

Cheers. Hope this works for you, too.

By Chibaton from West Midlands, England

May be a good idea but since I have never made these "logs" I have no idea what the "usual way" means (put in a pan and soak with water?)

Also, I have no idea what the shape of a "Christmas pudding" looks like. I would like to try this but will have to dig further for instructions. Thanks for the idea.

Newspapers rolled into logs for burning.
Making Newspaper Logs
Better Living Frugal Living TipsSeptember 3, 2009
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
A wood stove with firelogs in it.
Using Fire Logs
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs