Making Fake Logs

Category Decorations
Homemade fake logs can be used as props for a play or as part of your home's decor in your fireplace during the summer. This is a guide about making fake logs.

I need your help again. I want to make faux logs to place beside my gel fireplace that uses gel fuel. I am trying rolled up newspapers and am going to paint them a wood color. What color should I paint them (spray paint) and any other ideas other than newspapers? Not sure how this idea will work out. I want them to look as real as possible

Thank you,
Sherry from Dixie, West Virginia

Answers

Why spend money on paint etc for fake logs? Go for a walk in the woods and find some real ones - for free!

The best ones I've seen appeared to be made of "paper mache" with morter mix as "glue", and heavy on the morter! I'd begin with lengths of real wood. I'd shape the paper mache' for the outside "bark" streaks, recycled flat house-paint streaks of various shades of med. grey brown, browns, beiges, and occasional dark brown specks.

They should be several sizes in diameter from about 5" diameter to 8" and made round but flattened slightly before dry so they won't roll around. There are several websites for good paper mache recipes, but I'd follow the morter mix directions, adding Elmers' glue to the outside to hold GLOSSY newsprint insert paper streak shapes(sites claim glossy works best), to finish the design. Paint them after drying for about 24 hours. Finish in polyurethane FLAT clear paint afte an additional 6 hrs of drying first painting. (Use good ventilation, or do all of this outside, if possible, on cardboard or newspaper) :

Concentrate on the ends which are full of morter only, smoother, and painted in light various colored "rings" to simulate a log. Make them about 20" long if you have room. Spray with any can of polyurethane or Scotchgard in well vented area.

Make about five and place them on an old real fireplace black metal grate, if possible, which are tossed curbside occasionally, usually in the Winter or Spring.

I found brass duckhead andirons (log trimmings to hold logs in a fireplace) once which were damaged on the back fireside, but were heavy and shiny enough that I sold them for a good price in a garage sale.

I'm assuming you have a type of fireplace to place all this inside? Store your logs in a plastic bag/then inside a box when not wanted to decorate, or improve the colors if need be. Good luck and God bless your efforts as His light shines on you.

geez, just use real ones...wash them, sit them in the sun to dry out good...spray them with a clear spray paint and throw some pine cones in there and it will be beautiful...why do you want fake ones?!??!
I am sure you can find someone that has some...wish you were around here, I have millions I could give you!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR IDEAS. WELL, I DID WANT REAL LOGS IN THE FIRST PLACE AND ASK MY BROTHER-IN-LAW TO CUT ME SOME SMALL LIMBS WHILE GETTING HIS FIREWOOD. THAT WAS OVER A YEAR AGO AND STILL NO LOGS......LOL.....SO, I THOUGHT "I'LL MAKE MY OWN". NOWHERE AROUND HERE FOR ME TO GET THEM MYSELF. I DID MAKE SOME FROM ROLLED UP NEWSPAPERS AND PAINTED THEM AND MADE BARK STREAKS ON THEM AND ADDED KNOT HOLES. THESE WILL DO FOR NOW UNTIL I CAN GET THE "REAL THING". THE PAPER MACHE IDEA WAS A REALLY GOOD ONE. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY THAT ALSO......THANKS SO MUCH.......HAVE A GOOD DAY........SHERRY