Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

Removing the strong odor of mothballs from drawers, trunks, and other furniture can be frustrating. This is a guide about removing mothball smell from furniture.

Old couch that smells like mothballs.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 20, 2009 Flag

I've inherited a chest of drawers and matching bureau from my mother. The interior and drawers stink. I'm at a loss as to what the odor is much less how to get rid of it.

The odor reminds me of Estee Lauder's Youth Dew perfume with a sharp vinegary overtone. I've tried cedar eggs, mothballs, potpourri, bleach, and fabric softener (liquid and dryer sheets).

Does anyone have any idea what might work to kill the odor? I'm handicapped and on a limited budget, so I could really use a great home remedy that is very easy to use. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

By Susan from Brentwood, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I know this sounds silly but it works! Pour fresh (unused) kitty litter in the drawers. Wait a few days and the odor will be gone. I used this technique to remove odors from wooden cheese boxes.

PS keep the cats away while waiting or you will have a bigger issue! Sherielu

Best Answer

Put an open small bag of charcoal that you grill with in the drawers and forget about it for about a week or longer. Amazingly the charcoal will absorb the orders then throw them away. I too am disabled and know that putting them around in a smelly room will keep the air clean smelling! Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Best Answer

Place a slice of lemon on a saucer or bicarbonate of soda in the drawer and it will absorb the odor.

Best Answer

This works every time! Line the drawers with a couple sheets of newspaper and put 1/2 cup unused coffee grounds over the paper. Shut the drawers for a week. Voila! No more odor. I also did this with an upright freezer that had lost power and everything spoiled and therefore left an odor. I tried everything and nothing worked until the coffee trick!

Read More Answers...

November 21, 2004 Flag

I have an old "steamer" style trunk. It belonged to my mother and even though it hasn't had moth balls in it for over 30 years it still stinks! I use it for some storage, but had not gone into it for over a year, and was just overwhelmed by the smell. I do have cedar chunks in there and have tried Fabreeze but to no avail. If I can't get rid of the smell I am going to have to get rid of it and I don't want to do that. Any suggestions?

ElectricChameleon

Best Answer

To remove any smell the best thing I have found is baking soda. Sprinkle it on and let it sit. You may have to repeat several times.

Best Answer

1. coffee grounds

2. charcoal

3. kitty litter

4. newspaper

Leave in for as long as it takes.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try them and post how it worked in a couple of weeks!

EC

I used coffee grounds. Just pour the coffee grounds right from the can onto a large piece of saran wrap. Believe it or not it does work.

Read More Answers...

September 13, 2006 Flag

I have 3 antique chests that I inherited. Each one had at least 3 bags of mothballs that had nearly disinigrated over about 60 years of storing things in them. How do I get rid of the strong mothballs smell? My daughter is an asthmatic as well.

Dode from Burnaby, B.C.

Best Answer

Put several plates of Arm and Hammer in it, and close the lid for a week. Open your chest, empty plates and replace with new A & H (yellow box). Try 2-3 times.

Hope this is helpful

Sherry

Best Answer

I have excellent results with removing odors from different things by putting fresh coffee grounds (right from the bag or can) put into a shallow dish and let set for a week, may have to stir up coffee and let set longer or even get fresh and put in, may take some time but I think it will work. I hate moth balls, am allergic to them so know how how they can effect your daughter.

Ok, I understand the coffee grounds, but new or wet? Closed lid or open?

January 21, 2005 Flag

We acquired an old trunk that was very musty smelling, after trying several things I got the 'bright' idea of putting moth balls in it! I stored pictures and picture albums in there, and now everything smells like moth balls, oh to have that 'musty' smell back again! Is there something I can do to get rid of that moth ball smell now? We recently moved to WA state and I have the albums on a shelf in the office, and the smell just won't go away. Help!

Best Answer

There is a product called OZIUM. It comes small thin canister. I have found it in hardware stores. 1 or 2 squirts a day in the room with "smelly" objects and eventually, after just a few days you will notice the odor is gone. Don't spray on the objects and read the warnings. (It is bad for pets and people with breathing problems) use sparingly! it does work

Best Answer

I bought an old dresser once and it had a musty smell. Try setting a container of fresh ground coffee in it for a few days. It worked for me.

i've tried everything to get this smell out of some clothes that we bought for our grandaughter at a rummage sale...is there a miracle cure for the smell...thanx alot..sue

December 24, 2008 Flag

How do I get the moth ball smell out of a recliner?

Best Answer

My MIL gave me a bed cover set that was moth ball awful. I put it in the back yard for several days -- did nothing; then I sprayed with Febreeze -- did a little; then I sprayed with a product called Odo-Ban. I also dampened a towel with the Odo-Ban and put all in the dryer and ran it for a while. That worked.

If the above does not work I suggest to open up all the drawers, burn candles all day near the furniture or near what has a bad smell. I use them while frying fish or cooking anything with a bad smell like cabbage It really works, if this does not work try baking soda. Cut the top of the box off, set it in the drawers. I keep a box in my fridge. Good luck, let us know which one works, ok?

I have a very old cedar chest that had mothball smell for years. I decided to take a damp rag soaked in baking soda and wiped out the inside of the chest. The smell was gone!!! I let it dry, and then for extra measure, I sprinkled dry soda. There is no smell! It worked great!

September 28, 2010 Flag

To remove mothball odor from an old trunk use cheap coffee. Just put it in a nylon that you tie or just sprinkle into the trunk. I did this to a 1800 trunk that even smelled up glassware. It really works.

Source: A friend

By blhooper from Greenback, TN

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 14, 2013
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 10:27:50 AM on 10.0.2.84 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.