Browsing: Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere

Accidents happen. But, it is a stinky problem when cats stop using the litter box. This guide contains suggestions for preventing cats from urinating around the house.

A white cat sitting on a couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 30, 2015 Flag

Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere.
We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? (I refuse neuter my cat.)

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Although getting your animal neutered is a good thing , because it reduces their chances of getting some forms of cancer later in life . I do neuter my rescue animals right away if they are not done . I lost my Sheeba to cancer because she was not neutered . I thought because she was not going to be around any boy dogs it was ok . TRUST ME IT'S NOT OK . My mom had got her dog Baby a poodle from the free ads , my mom passed away in 2009 . I was given Baby as she was afraid of males for some reason , she never made up to my dad no matter what he did . She now has tumors on her breasts . The Dr. said she could run tests but that with her being a senior dog , chances are it would be too much for her to go through any kind of surgery.

Read More Answers...

December 30, 2015 Flag

My kitten, Faye, who's about 6 months old keeps peeing everywhere. We got her about a month, almost two months, ago. She was litter trained when we got her. She uses the litter box, but she still pees on everything. We have two litter boxes, and we recently got a new humongus one, so that makes three. It's also weird because she acts like a dog. She tries to steal my food when I eat, and she'll eat anything that I drop on the floor as long as its food. This morning I woke up and found the trash bag ripped open, and food everywhere. I have two other cats, one a girl, the other a boy. They are all fixed. The other two cats are almost 2 years old, but they love to play with Faye, and they love each other. I just need to know how to get Faye to stop this behavior. Thanks for any help you have!

kitten on back of couchKitten Peeing Everywhere

If she's eating everything she see it sounds like she might have worms. That's why my two kittens did when they had worms, try to litterally eat stuff out of my hand!

Read More Answers...

July 21, 2016 Flag

I have a cat that is in heat like the article said. Is there anything I can do to keep her from peeing on my bed and other places where she does this? Also is there anything that I can give her to keep her from crying all the time during her cycle.

April 2, 2015 Flag

I have an 8 month old female cat. She is spayed, but after her surgery she started peeing everywhere. I tried everything. It has gotten to the point where I have to get rid of her. She uses her litter box to poop and sometime uses it to go pee. She is peeing all over my clothes, blankets, and furniture. It stinks in my place because of her. She was a stray and now I keep wishing I had never gotten her. I love her, but before she got fixed she never peed in my house she always used her litter box. I moved her litter box and showed her where it is and she just wants to pee on my clothes. What can I do before I get rid of her? For two months she has been peeing everywhere. I have to throw away so many things because of her. I am at the point of saying I don't want her anymore. I am at the end of her peeing everywhere.

By Kendra G

It's possible that her bladder was cut or harmed during the spay surgery. Or she got an infection following the surgery. Take her to a different vet than the one where she had the surgery.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2015 Flag

Our cat, Puffy, has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? I refuse neuter my cat.
Thank you.

I had a cat that was rescued from our roof..one littermate was dead and 2 survivors..we raised them on a bottle. We gave one to a local community newspaper editor;s granddaughter and kept the other one. She lived 11 years...but before she died she began to pee outside the litterbox...and even stop to pee as she was hurrying to one of us that called her....as if she was unaware of just peeing in the carpet! She was over 10 years old and just then had started this. She died of kidney failure.

Read More Answers...

June 15, 2009 Flag

Black and white cat in basket.How do I stop my male cat from urinating in the bathtub?

By weedas55 from MI

52 Years ago I had a gorgeous long haired Red Tabby Male I named him Sandy he was a rescued kitten we never had litter boxes in those days nor cat flaps - I let him out when he wailed at the back door and he came home when he wanted! He was adorable I loved him to bits! he never peed in the house he just waited till he was let out -- Then one day when he was about 4 yrs old he started peeing in the bath, I thought he just could not hold it any longer - I cleaned the bath and thought how nice and easy it was to clean it up so I did not mind -- Then a week or two later it started to be a daily thing with him every morning he had peed in the bath again I did not worry about it -- But then one morning his pee was almost pure blood and he was lying in the bath I thought he was dying -- I rushed him to the Vet and they examined him and found that his bladder was clogged with what they called sand crystals so they cleaned his bladder out and gave him antibiotics kept him in for a few days and then I brought him home - the vet told me that some male cats when the are neutered start making the crystals because he holds his pee in too long so every time he peed in the bath I took him straight to the vet! He died when he was 16 yrs old of mouth cancer I still miss him, So please if you have a single male peeing in the house DO take him to the vet he is trying to let you know he is sick!

Read More Answers...

October 14, 2015 Flag

We brought in a stray kitten a few days ago and initially he seemed to have taken to the litter box well, he only attempted to poo outside of it once and we set him inside as he was going and the problem never reoccurred. However he never pees in the litter box, and he always seems to find a different spot to pee on, and it's always somewhere my boyfriend and I spend the most time (bed, in between the couch cushions). He even peed on my feet while I was sleeping the other night.

I know this is likely him marking, but is there anything (besides the old mouthwash and tinfoil trick) that can get him to finally start peeing in the litter box. We keep the one we have in the main bathroom downstairs, we're buying another today, but aren't sure where to put it. I'd like to keep a stinky litter box out of the kitchen, but our apartment is so small. Both bedrooms are upstairs. Thanks.

We had a male stray doing the same thing, even on our bed while we were in it.. We tried all the tricks, multiple litter boxes, changing food, interactive toys, sprays, everything! We finally assumed he needed to be neutered and took him to the vet, turns out he had a UTI. The vet informed us cats will pee in places where you spend the most time i.e. Bed, couch, kitchen in an attempt to try to get your attention and let you know something is wrong. You may want to take him to the vet and get him checked out just in case.

Read More Answers...

January 16, 2016 Flag

My cats are 6 and 7 months old. They began peeing on stuff only when my boyfriend's daughter comes for the weekend. She has cats at her place as well. Please help, their litter is clean and everything. It's only when she is here.

I would suggest getting them both fixed. Otherwise when your daughter is there keep them in another room with their litter box. They must be smelling her cats and marking their territory. I have always fixed my cats right around 5 months. I've never had an issue like this before.

February 20, 2014 Flag

I have a 4 year old male cat. He is fixed and started peeing everywhere! He uses the litter box but he still pees. Could it be that I have two female cats that aren't fixed? I don't know how to stop him from peeing, and I don't want to have to give him up. Please help.

By Linda S.

Best Answer

I think you guessed about half the problem. Get the girls fixed. Your male cat may be feeling territorial about other males that show up looking for your females. You also might want to have him checked for a bladder infection.

December 27, 2015 Flag

My cat is 4 years old and got neutered before he was 1. He has had 2 UTIs and 2 kidney stones in the past. His diet has been changed and he's so much better. We moved into our new house last night. I showed him where his clean letterbox is, but he keeps peeing everywhere, even on the tile flooring.

Load More
Pets CatsSeptember 5, 2013
Cat walking on a kitchen counter.
Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 1:28:31 PM on 10.0.2.191 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.