Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere

Accidents happen. But, it is a stinky problem when cats stop using the litter box. This guide contains suggestions for preventing cats from urinating around the house.

A white cat sitting on a couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My kitten, Faye, who's about 6 months old keeps peeing everywhere. We got her about a month, almost two months, ago. She was litter trained when we got her. She uses the litter box, but she still pees on everything. We have two litter boxes, and we recently got a new humongus one, so that makes three. It's also weird because she acts like a dog. She tries to steal my food when I eat, and she'll eat anything that I drop on the floor as long as its food. This morning I woke up and found the trash bag ripped open, and food everywhere. I have two other cats, one a girl, the other a boy. They are all fixed. The other two cats are almost 2 years old, but they love to play with Faye, and they love each other. I just need to know how to get Faye to stop this behavior. Thanks for any help you have!

kitten on back of couch
    Kitten Peeing Everywhere
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vet now. If it gets into the kidneys there's little chance of survival.

Read More Answers...

Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere.
    We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? (I refuse neuter my cat.)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest a search of this site as this is a very common question. And the number one cause of inappropriate urinating in male cats is that they are not neutered.

Read More Answers...

I have an 8 month old female cat. She is spayed, but after her surgery she started peeing everywhere. I tried everything. It has gotten to the point where I have to get rid of her. She uses her litter box to poop and sometime uses it to go pee. She is peeing all over my clothes, blankets, and furniture. It stinks in my place because of her. She was a stray and now I keep wishing I had never gotten her. I love her, but before she got fixed she never peed in my house she always used her litter box. I moved her litter box and showed her where it is and she just wants to pee on my clothes. What can I do before I get rid of her? For two months she has been peeing everywhere. I have to throw away so many things because of her. I am at the point of saying I don't want her anymore. I am at the end of her peeing everywhere.

By Kendra G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's possible that her bladder was cut or harmed during the spay surgery. Or she got an infection following the surgery. Take her to a different vet than the one where she had the surgery.

Read More Answers...

I was wondering when my kitten, Samantha, feels better, would she use the litter box constantly again? I plan on steam cleaning the carpets next week. I would appreciate any advice you have.

By Kathleen from Tyler, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Urinary Tract infections are a common cause of a cat peeing all over the house. Often a cat will inappropriately urinate because of a medical condition. If you have problems with a cat not using his litter box please get him or her checked by a vet. Your cat may not like the brand of litter you have chosen Often cats don't like the same nice smelling kitty litter that we might like. Avoid scented kitty litter. The location of the litter box is not to your cats liking. Your Cat may be stressed I use vinegar to rid the pee smell. Cats hate the smell.

Best Answer

Thank you for the feedback. I took her to the vet and she had a Upper Respitory Infection. She has had medicine and is using the litter box on a constant basis now.

Read More Answers...

My cats are 6 and 7 months old. They began peeing on stuff only when my boyfriend's daughter comes for the weekend. She has cats at her place as well. Please help, their litter is clean and everything. It's only when she is here.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest getting them both fixed. Otherwise when your daughter is there keep them in another room with their litter box. They must be smelling her cats and marking their territory. I have always fixed my cats right around 5 months. I've never had an issue like this before.

We brought in a stray kitten a few days ago and initially he seemed to have taken to the litter box well, he only attempted to poo outside of it once and we set him inside as he was going and the problem never reoccurred. However he never pees in the litter box, and he always seems to find a different spot to pee on, and it's always somewhere my boyfriend and I spend the most time (bed, in between the couch cushions). He even peed on my feet while I was sleeping the other night.

I know this is likely him marking, but is there anything (besides the old mouthwash and tinfoil trick) that can get him to finally start peeing in the litter box. We keep the one we have in the main bathroom downstairs, we're buying another today, but aren't sure where to put it. I'd like to keep a stinky litter box out of the kitchen, but our apartment is so small. Both bedrooms are upstairs. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had a male stray doing the same thing, even on our bed while we were in it.. We tried all the tricks, multiple litter boxes, changing food, interactive toys, sprays, everything! We finally assumed he needed to be neutered and took him to the vet, turns out he had a UTI. The vet informed us cats will pee in places where you spend the most time i.e. Bed, couch, kitchen in an attempt to try to get your attention and let you know something is wrong. You may want to take him to the vet and get him checked out just in case.

Read More Answers...

My cat is 4 years old and got neutered before he was 1. He has had 2 UTIs and 2 kidney stones in the past. His diet has been changed and he's so much better. Here's the thing, we moved into our new house last night. I showed him where his clean litterbox is and everything. Also, all of the flooring is brand new. But he keeps peeing everywhere, even on the tile flooring.

I know stress/change of environment could play a part, but I need to stop him from doing this. I did not get any sleep last night, he was coming in the bedroom, jumping on my bed and constantly meowing. But when I would get up, he would be fine. He's feeling okay, acting normal (other than the peeing), eating, etc. I have cleaned with enzymatic cleaner, all that. But he is literally peeing everywhere!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you kitty is having a hard time adjusting to the move. You need to eliminate a bladder infection as a cause of the problem, so get him to the Vet soon. It is a very likely possibility. Stress really can bring it on. The stress will diminish with time, and I'm sure he will improve. Some folks keep their cats confined to a room with a litterbox until things settle down a bit. It seems to help some cats. But be sure and get him to the Vet right away to be sure on the bladder infection. Good luck.

Our cat, Puffy, has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? I refuse neuter my cat.
            Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Puffy may have a medical problem, (diabetes re peeing problem?) and need medical help now to help. However, if Puffy does not have a medical problem and you refuse to neuter him, you may have to live with his very natural peeing/marking behavior.

Black and white cat in basket.How do I stop my male cat from urinating in the bathtub?

By weedas55 from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Nothing is wrong with your cat, my tiffany tabby does the same thing. He's very smart, my husband noticed every morning when he would get up to pee, our cat would follow and then one morning he heard something looked behind the shower curtain and our cat was peeing right over the drain. He just learned it and honestly it's nothing disgusting like people try to make it, simply run the water a few secs. to make sure nothings left.

Also our cats mom who we no longer have did the same thing only when needed. We went on vacation and her litter box was getting full so she started using the tub (her litter box was in the bathroom) and when we came home it was a proud moment because instead of using the bathroom all over the house she tried to keep it in the bathroom. Cats are smart, (not all obviously) but many are and not always out trying to be bad.

Read More Answers...

I have a 4 year old male cat. He is fixed and started peeing everywhere! He uses the litter box but he still pees. Could it be that I have two female cats that aren't fixed? I don't know how to stop him from peeing, and I don't want to have to give him up. Please help.

By Linda S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Best Answer

I think you guessed about half the problem. Get the girls fixed. Your male cat may be feeling territorial about other males that show up looking for your females. You also might want to have him checked for a bladder infection.

How can I stop my cat from peeing and pooping everywhere? I'm pretty sure it's from stress, as my older brother likes to scare him and the younger one drags him to bed. However, when we put a stop to it, which lasted about 4 or 5 months, he still kept doing it. He goes everywhere. The beds, dog bowls, couch, under the bed, outside, but never in the litter box despite changing litter and getting a new box for separate cats, we have two, brothers, he still has not stopped. What can we do? We really don't want to give him away.

By Tiffany

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you aren't able to control the cats' environment so it can recover from the abuse, consider finding a rescue and be sure and let them know the cat was abused. They may be able to find a home that can help the cat heal. It sounds like it was badly traumatized.

Read More Answers...

I have a 6 month old male cat who recently just started peeing on my daughter's bed, just outta the blue. I don't know what to do. Nothing has changed in the household and he also tries to escape outside all the time. I can't have him outside as I live in a campground and I can't afford to have him just peeing in places other then his litter box. I live in a small enclosed camper. Please help. Any information will be great. Thank you.

By Jordan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First, neutering will probably help. Besides that, the problem may be stress related. Cats were not meant to live in very small, enclosed spaces all the time.

Read More Answers...

tan cat lying on tile floorI have a male Persian cat and he is peeing almost everywhere and not using the litterbox at all. But in the case of poop, he uses the litter box or the bathroom very properly. Please help me find solution; it's urgent.

By Afrin from Navi Mumbai, India

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In order to get rid of the smell of cat urine use peroxide. Just pour it on the area and let it soak in. Works wonderful best thing out there to get rid of the smell of cat pee

Read More Answers...

I have two 13 year old cats, a male and a female who despite living together for ten years, hate each other. Both cats have had UTIs in the past with the occasional spraying outside of the litter tray, but were put on special diets (which they are still on) to stop the UTIs which stopped the occasional spraying.

Over the past few months though, my female cat has been spraying/peeing more and more frequently so that now it's pretty much daily on things like the toaster, the kitchen bench, the couch, books, anywhere and it seems like everywhere! I recently caught my male cat spraying in the same place after I'd cleaned up after her so I am not sure how much of it is him, but I suspect it is her 90% of the time.

Her behaviour has been changing too, for example she used to be outside most of the time, but now rarely goes out, she has become quite clingy and she vocalises as though she's lost sometimes. The vet says she seems quite healthy for an old cat though and after finding it wasn't the UTI, recommended I try a Feliway diffuser. It's been two weeks and apart from the first two days, it doesn't seem to have made a difference, she even sprayed the wall right next to the diffuser! I have 3 litter trays that I scoop as soon as I see anything, but she/they pee on it or in front of it as much as in it!

I really don't know what else to do and am about to lose my marbles. Any advice, ideas, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

By Emma S. from Melbourne, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also check for diabetes. Sounds like my diabetic cat. If it's not a medical problem, ask your vet for a mild tranquilizer. Could be stress related.

Read More Answers...

I have found out that my cat is urinating everywhere. She is in heat and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I need to know why she is doing this quickly and how to stop it. I am on a trip right now, can't go to a vet, and I definitively don't want to get kicked out of the hotel. Thank God they allow pets. Please help me!

By Will from New York City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you all so much! I got here checked out, and they said that she did have a small urinary tract infection, but nothing life threatening. We gave her some medicine and decided not to get her spayed. The antibiotics worked well and now she's fine! I didn't get asked to leave but I left quickly anyway. She doesn't do her business anywhere but the litter box! Thanks so much guys!

Read More Answers...

My 1 year old female cat keeps peeing everywhere. We took her to the vet and they found nothing wrong so they put her on Prozac. It started helping, but now she's peeing everywhere again. What should I do?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Load More
              Pets CatsSeptember 5, 2013
              Cat walking on a kitchen counter.
              Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen
              Dog Standing on Carpet
              Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
              Cat Meowing
              Preventing A Cat From Meowing
              Litter Box
              Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 12:13:48 PM on 10.0.2.187 in 455 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.