Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere

Accidents happen. But, it is a stinky problem when cats stop using the litter box. This guide contains suggestions for preventing cats from urinating around the house.

September 30, 2015 Flag

Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere.
We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? (I refuse neuter my cat.)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Although getting your animal neutered is a good thing , because it reduces their chances of getting some forms of cancer later in life . I do neuter my rescue animals right away if they are not done . I lost my Sheeba to cancer because she was not neutered . I thought because she was not going to be around any boy dogs it was ok . TRUST ME IT'S NOT OK . My mom had got her dog Baby a poodle from the free ads , my mom passed away in 2009 . I was given Baby as she was afraid of males for some reason , she never made up to my dad no matter what he did . She now has tumors on her breasts . The Dr. said she could run tests but that with her being a senior dog , chances are it would be too much for her to go through any kind of surgery.

December 30, 2015 Flag

My kitten, Faye, who's about 6 months old keeps peeing everywhere. We got her about a month, almost two months, ago. She was litter trained when we got her. She uses the litter box, but she still pees on everything. We have two litter boxes, and we recently got a new humongus one, so that makes three. It's also weird because she acts like a dog. She tries to steal my food when I eat, and she'll eat anything that I drop on the floor as long as its food. This morning I woke up and found the trash bag ripped open, and food everywhere. I have two other cats, one a girl, the other a boy. They are all fixed. The other two cats are almost 2 years old, but they love to play with Faye, and they love each other. I just need to know how to get Faye to stop this behavior. Thanks for any help you have!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vet now. If it gets into the kidneys there's little chance of survival.

April 2, 2015 Flag

I have an 8 month old female cat. She is spayed, but after her surgery she started peeing everywhere. I tried everything. It has gotten to the point where I have to get rid of her. She uses her litter box to poop and sometime uses it to go pee. She is peeing all over my clothes, blankets, and furniture. It stinks in my place because of her. She was a stray and now I keep wishing I had never gotten her. I love her, but before she got fixed she never peed in my house she always used her litter box. I moved her litter box and showed her where it is and she just wants to pee on my clothes. What can I do before I get rid of her? For two months she has been peeing everywhere. I have to throw away so many things because of her. I am at the point of saying I don't want her anymore. I am at the end of her peeing everywhere.

By Kendra G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like she has picked up an infection or has developed a complication from the surgery...take her to the vet!

June 15, 2009 Flag

How do I stop my male cat from urinating in the bathtub?

By weedas55 from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Never heard the one about the cat maybe having UTI or something, but seems to be mention all over the web when I searched for how to stop my cat from peeing in the tub. A friend of mine has a cat that always does it, and she just rinses the tub out a couple of times a day.

December 9, 2015 Flag

Our cat, Puffy, has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? I refuse neuter my cat.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Puffy may have a medical problem, (diabetes re peeing problem?) and need medical help now to help. However, if Puffy does not have a medical problem and you refuse to neuter him, you may have to live with his very natural peeing/marking behavior.

February 20, 2014 Flag

I have a 4 year old male cat. He is fixed and started peeing everywhere! He uses the litter box but he still pees. Could it be that I have two female cats that aren't fixed? I don't know how to stop him from peeing, and I don't want to have to give him up. Please help.

By Linda S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think you guessed about half the problem. Get the girls fixed. Your male cat may be feeling territorial about other males that show up looking for your females. You also might want to have him checked for a bladder infection.

October 14, 2015 Flag

We brought in a stray kitten a few days ago and initially he seemed to have taken to the litter box well, he only attempted to poo outside of it once and we set him inside as he was going and the problem never reoccurred. However he never pees in the litter box, and he always seems to find a different spot to pee on, and it's always somewhere my boyfriend and I spend the most time (bed, in between the couch cushions). He even peed on my feet while I was sleeping the other night.

I know this is likely him marking, but is there anything (besides the old mouthwash and tinfoil trick) that can get him to finally start peeing in the litter box. We keep the one we have in the main bathroom downstairs, we're buying another today, but aren't sure where to put it. I'd like to keep a stinky litter box out of the kitchen, but our apartment is so small. Both bedrooms are upstairs. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go for the litterbox in the kitchen. I pick mine twice a day and there is no odor. Get a good quality litter that is unscented. Perfume is a turn off for cats used to the outdoors. Search this site for ideas. There are a lot. I have heard of folks who restrict pets to a bathroom (Part of the day or at night) with their litterbox. This seems to help them get the idea. They are more fastidious if they have to be close to the little mistake. Bless you for taking in this little monkey...especially when he peed on your feet. You gets points in heaven for that.

June 19, 2011 Flag

I have a male Persian cat and he is peeing almost everywhere and not using the litterbox at all. But in the case of poop, he uses the litter box or the bathroom very properly. Please help me find solution; it's urgent.

By Afrin from Navi Mumbai, India

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In order to get rid of the smell of cat urine use peroxide. Just pour it on the area and let it soak in. Works wonderful best thing out there to get rid of the smell of cat pee

December 16, 2014 Flag

How can I stop my cat from peeing and pooping everywhere? I'm pretty sure it's from stress, as my older brother likes to scare him and the younger one drags him to bed. However, when we put a stop to it, which lasted about 4 or 5 months, he still kept doing it. He goes everywhere. The beds, dog bowls, couch, under the bed, outside, but never in the litter box despite changing litter and getting a new box for separate cats, we have two, brothers, he still has not stopped. What can we do? We really don't want to give him away.

By Tiffany

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The poor cat is obviously extremely stressed from the mistreatment by your brothers. It will probably take some time and much love and understanding on everyone's part to change the urinating and defecating behavior. It is clear your cat is still suffering from and always expecting to be harrassed by your brothers. Your kitty is not a toy, your brothers must stop scaring him and using him like a stuffed animal. He has feelings and emotions very much like humans and suffers from mistreatment like humans.

If you truly love your cat and want to help him, please take him to your vet and ask for help in changing his behavior. Possibly some medication and certainly commitment on your part will help poor kitty improve his problem.

September 23, 2013 Flag

I have two 13 year old cats, a male and a female who despite living together for ten years, hate each other. Both cats have had UTIs in the past with the occasional spraying outside of the litter tray, but were put on special diets (which they are still on) to stop the UTIs which stopped the occasional spraying.

Over the past few months though, my female cat has been spraying/peeing more and more frequently so that now it's pretty much daily on things like the toaster, the kitchen bench, the couch, books, anywhere and it seems like everywhere! I recently caught my male cat spraying in the same place after I'd cleaned up after her so I am not sure how much of it is him, but I suspect it is her 90% of the time.

Her behaviour has been changing too, for example she used to be outside most of the time, but now rarely goes out, she has become quite clingy and she vocalises as though she's lost sometimes. The vet says she seems quite healthy for an old cat though and after finding it wasn't the UTI, recommended I try a Feliway diffuser. It's been two weeks and apart from the first two days, it doesn't seem to have made a difference, she even sprayed the wall right next to the diffuser! I have 3 litter trays that I scoop as soon as I see anything, but she/they pee on it or in front of it as much as in it!

I really don't know what else to do and am about to lose my marbles. Any advice, ideas, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

By Emma S. from Melbourne, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Because of your cats age, I would be suspicious of kidney disease. Have you noticed her drinking more water? The 1st sign is often "drink a lot/pee a lot' behavior. The crying behavior is also typical. They just dont feel well. A young healthy cat can live months/years with treatment for kidney disease. A blood test at the Vet will tell if her kidneys are failing. That is where I would look 1st. They need to eat wet food instead of dry, and if the condition is severe, there is prescription food for it. My cat peed in the toaster once. I of course came along and dropped a piece of bread in the toaster. To this day, 20 years later I remember the smell with perfect clarity.

January 16, 2016 Flag

My cats are 6 and 7 months old. They began peeing on stuff only when my boyfriend's daughter comes for the weekend. She has cats at her place as well. Please help, their litter is clean and everything. It's only when she is here.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest getting them both fixed. Otherwise when your daughter is there keep them in another room with their litter box. They must be smelling her cats and marking their territory. I have always fixed my cats right around 5 months. I've never had an issue like this before.

December 27, 2015 Flag

My cat is 4 years old and got neutered before he was 1. He has had 2 UTIs and 2 kidney stones in the past. His diet has been changed and he's so much better. Here's the thing, we moved into our new house last night. I showed him where his clean litterbox is and everything. Also, all of the flooring is brand new. But he keeps peeing everywhere, even on the tile flooring.

I know stress/change of environment could play a part, but I need to stop him from doing this. I did not get any sleep last night, he was coming in the bedroom, jumping on my bed and constantly meowing. But when I would get up, he would be fine. He's feeling okay, acting normal (other than the peeing), eating, etc. I have cleaned with enzymatic cleaner, all that. But he is literally peeing everywhere!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you kitty is having a hard time adjusting to the move. You need to eliminate a bladder infection as a cause of the problem, so get him to the Vet soon. It is a very likely possibility. Stress really can bring it on. The stress will diminish with time, and I'm sure he will improve. Some folks keep their cats confined to a room with a litterbox until things settle down a bit. It seems to help some cats. But be sure and get him to the Vet right away to be sure on the bladder infection. Good luck.

March 11, 2015 Flag

I have a 6 month old male cat who recently just started peeing on my daughter's bed, just outta the blue. I don't know what to do. Nothing has changed in the household and he also tries to escape outside all the time. I can't have him outside as I live in a campground and I can't afford to have him just peeing in places other then his litter box. I live in a small enclosed camper. Please help. Any information will be great. Thank you.

By Jordan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do not state whether your cat is neutered. He is now six months old and, if not neutered, may be approaching the "looking for females" stage and wants to go outside. Neutering should significantly reduce his need to go outside.

Regarding his (or your!) urination problem. He may have a medical problem that hurts him when using the litter box-it may be too high for him to climb over without pain. Please take him to your vet immediately to clarify any possible medical problem and needed treatment. If he is healthy, your vet can help you help change your cat's pee habit.

April 14, 2011 Flag

I have found out that my cat is urinating everywhere. She is in heat and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I need to know why she is doing this quickly and how to stop it. I am on a trip right now, can't go to a vet, and I definitively don't want to get kicked out of the hotel. Thank God they allow pets. Please help me!

By Will from New York City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ditto the advice to have the cat spayed. The humane society does low cost spaying. Some rescue groups do also. It can be as low as $20 in my area. Be sure to have a unrinalysis done as soon as possible. Urinary tract infections are painful, and usually clear up with antibiotics without too much difficulty; but if you let them go on untreated can cause long term damage. If your cat has just a bladder irritation, the are cranberry products to add to the food that I have used and like. One from Only Natural Pets (onlynaturalpets.com) is my favorite. Good luck.

June 24, 2010 Flag

I have two cats, 16 and 19 years old, both spayed. They both eat a low protein vet cat food to help with an early stage kidney problem the oldest has. They have two oversize litter boxes that are kept clean, no change in the litter brand. They see a vet twice a year, two weeks ago was their last visit.

The youngest, 16, has been peeing in the bedrooms, on the beds, on the floor around the litter box for the past year (finally caught her in the act, couldn't be sure which one it was before). I use an odor destroyer, but it is now getting out of hand. I caught her climbing up into a plastic shelf and peeing on it/in it. Is she getting senile?

The vet had suggested bringing a litter box into my bedroom, but if she is climbing a shelf to go pee, I do not think it is because she is too tired to go downstairs. The house only has two floors so it is not far. They have their own door to the litter box so they are not prevented from getting there.

Choices are getting very narrow here. I do not want to confine her to one room in the basement. She has slept with my husband and me every night since she was 8 weeks old. Any suggestions?

By Kellys cats from NB, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It really sounds like a bladder infection, or at least a bladder irritation. Be sure to have the vet check for this. the test is not part of a regular visit. I have had the same problem. I got a product called Tinkel Tonic. Most natural pet stores carry it. It did wonders for my cat. Another product that helped is Comfort Zone with feliway. I still use both of them all the time. Good luck.

September 15, 2002 Flag

My cats have been urinating in different parts of the house, no way to predict where. They have a litter box but are getting up there in age and may be confused. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I too have a 13-year old cat who's been peein on a walls like a male cat would do...only she's female. She was born feral. Just this last summer, in July, I had to put down my other 14 year old whom she had been around her whole life. Oreo started peeing on the walls when Coco started dying. We bought some things that you plug into the outlets that give off ferimones that are supposed to keep her from peeing, but it hasn't helped. I also got a new cat, who is now 8 months old now shortly after I had to put Coco down. Is the new kitten the issue? Or could it also be a UTI? She's scared of everyone, including my family. She's okay with me, but only if I don't pick her up. What should I do? My dad is threatening to make me put her down.

July 21, 2016 Flag

I have a cat that is in heat like the article said. Is there anything I can do to keep her from peeing on my bed and other places where she does this? Also is there anything that I can give her to keep her from crying all the time during her cycle.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 12, 2014 Flag

Does anyone have any suggestions to help? We have 3 cats. The 2 youngest are brothers. The one has been peeing everywhere. We had him neutered, pay him extra attention, bought tons of cat toys and keep litter box clean. Is there anything else I can try?

By Marge M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would try a trip to the Vet. You need to rule out a bladder infection. Another thing to consider is whether your cat feels threatened by other cats in the neighborhood. This can set off territorial marking.

January 25, 2008 Flag

My kitten started urinating on my bed. She did this about 3 times so we close our door so she can't get in. She then urinated on our son's dirty laundry so we started closing all of the bedroom doors in our house.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets CatsSeptember 5, 2013
Cat walking on a kitchen counter.
Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 24, 2017 at 7:44:10 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.