Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere

Accidents happen. But, it is a stinky problem when cats stop using the litter box. This guide contains suggestions for preventing cats from urinating around the house.

February 10, 2017 Flag

I have 3 indoor cats. They are all female and all spayed. Two of them are almost 4 and the youngest is almost 2. It is the youngest cat that I am having the issue with, although I suspect the second oldest of the 3 is also peeing outside her litter tray. This includes both full-on peeing and marking.

The youngest cat I supsect is the main culprit as she acts extremely guilty once she has realised that I have found her pee, although I never catch her doing it. She must do it at night and when there's nobody in the house. The frustrating thing is that they all use the litter trays regularly, but the two suspects also choose to pee on both of my sofas daily. My life consists of cleaning their pee and desperately trying to prevent this behaviour.

What is even more stressful about this situation is that I am 7 months pregnant with my first child and the cat pee issue is taking a massive toll on my emotional well-being and causing me a great deal of stress (more so than just the general pregnancy stress). I can only imagine the upheaval in my household once my child is born as my cats try to adapt to the new baby in the house. I imagine it will only make the cat pee issue worse (if that is even possible).

I have been through numerous questions asked online about the same issue and have been through so many 'solutions', but nothing seems to work. I clean with white vinegar, I've used baking soda in an attempt to lift the smell, I've laid tinfoil down before I leave the house (it got peed all over), I keep their trays to a good standard of cleanliness, I feel like I have exhausted nearly every avenue to attempt to correct the behaviour. The only thing that prevents them from peeing on one of my sofas is putting their food bowls up there, but although it stops them from peeing on that couch, it most likely just redirects them to the other sofa.

My cats are very well loved and looked after, I make sure they have routine in their lives and always make time to cuddle with them and play. So as you can imagine, this issue is causing havoc. It is ruining not only my living area, but also my state of mind at what should be a happy and exciting time in my life.
I don't believe in simply giving up on difficult behaviour in people and I am exactly the same with my cats. I would rather successfully correct this behaviour than simply give the cat(s) away and then feel terrible about doing so. So rehoming or giving to a shelter is not an option.

I suppose my question is, what else can I do that does not involve just redirecting the behaviour to another 'pee area'? I try my very hardest to not shout or become angry at the cats as I know they don't understand, but it's beginning to wear thin at this stressful time. Would confining the cats to separate rooms at night with their litter trays help at all or would it just cause them more stress?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are right not to worry about toxo (and it is only the stool and will only affect you in the 1st trimester).

Your cats are super blessed to have such a committed owner who is trying not to be upset with them (you are right that it could worsen the problem).

Vinegar nor baking soda will never get rid of the odor for the cat's nose. You must use enzyme products specifically for cat urine and follow the directions (which I did not realize till years after I graduated from Veterinary school). You spray the enzyme then cover the spot for 24 hours to keep it moist while it "eats" the odor.

tinfoil often works - good try.

At this point I would strongly suggest you an integrative veterinarian with whom to work (or another suggestion below). This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:

1. Wide range of treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.

2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com;

3. Chiropractic and Osteopathic - www.animalchiropractic.org; http://equineosteopathy.org/ (they treat dogs, too)

4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine): www.IVAS.org, www.aava.org & www.TCVM.com

5. Herbal - www.VBMA.org

6. Postural rehabilitation  dogs and horses -http://www.post  Practitioner.htm

7. Craniosacral and Bowen - http://www.anim  tionnetwork.com/ not all are vets, so also look for this modality at the AHVMA web site.

My second suggestion may be too far out there for you, but I have had about 80% success when clients with peeing cats spoke with an animal intuitive. Because Sharon Callahan makes her own flower essences (100% safe) AND is an animal communicator, I think this would be the fastest way to resolve the problem - www.anaflora.com.

February 3, 2017 Flag

I will explain for the 100th time, no one can help so here goes. I have a 9 month old male cat who always used the litterbox up to about a month ago. Then he started peeing on everything so I took him to the vet where he was checked out (everything OK). I had him fixed while he was there. It has now been a week since getting fixed and he uses the litter pan, but he also pees on whatever he can.

I clean the litter box once a day (always use the same litter) and change it weekly. I have cleaned everything and even shampooed my carpets. I have tried all the deterrent sprays and homemade one too, they don't seem to bother him at all. I have just spent aproximately 500.00 dollars so I really don't want to get rid of him now. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

nothing has changed and he was givin a clean bill of health

September 30, 2015 Flag

Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere.
We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? (I refuse neuter my cat.)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Although getting your animal neutered is a good thing , because it reduces their chances of getting some forms of cancer later in life . I do neuter my rescue animals right away if they are not done . I lost my Sheeba to cancer because she was not neutered . I thought because she was not going to be around any boy dogs it was ok . TRUST ME IT'S NOT OK . My mom had got her dog Baby a poodle from the free ads , my mom passed away in 2009 . I was given Baby as she was afraid of males for some reason , she never made up to my dad no matter what he did . She now has tumors on her breasts . The Dr. said she could run tests but that with her being a senior dog , chances are it would be too much for her to go through any kind of surgery.

December 30, 2015 Flag

My kitten, Faye, who's about 6 months old keeps peeing everywhere. We got her about a month, almost two months, ago. She was litter trained when we got her. She uses the litter box, but she still pees on everything. We have two litter boxes, and we recently got a new humongus one, so that makes three. It's also weird because she acts like a dog. She tries to steal my food when I eat, and she'll eat anything that I drop on the floor as long as its food. This morning I woke up and found the trash bag ripped open, and food everywhere. I have two other cats, one a girl, the other a boy. They are all fixed. The other two cats are almost 2 years old, but they love to play with Faye, and they love each other. I just need to know how to get Faye to stop this behavior. Thanks for any help you have!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vet now. If it gets into the kidneys there's little chance of survival.

June 15, 2009 Flag

How do I stop my male cat from urinating in the bathtub?

By weedas55 from MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Never heard the one about the cat maybe having UTI or something, but seems to be mention all over the web when I searched for how to stop my cat from peeing in the tub. A friend of mine has a cat that always does it, and she just rinses the tub out a couple of times a day.

July 21, 2016 Flag

I have a cat that is in heat like the article said. Is there anything I can do to keep her from peeing on my bed and other places where she does this? Also is there anything that I can give her to keep her from crying all the time during her cycle.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The answer is, not really. Spaying and neutering your animals will prevent all these unwanted behaviours, for the most part. If for whatever reason you choose to keep an animal that goes into heat, your only option is to keep her crated during her 'special time'.

April 2, 2015 Flag

I have an 8 month old female cat. She is spayed, but after her surgery she started peeing everywhere. I tried everything. It has gotten to the point where I have to get rid of her. She uses her litter box to poop and sometime uses it to go pee. She is peeing all over my clothes, blankets, and furniture. It stinks in my place because of her. She was a stray and now I keep wishing I had never gotten her. I love her, but before she got fixed she never peed in my house she always used her litter box. I moved her litter box and showed her where it is and she just wants to pee on my clothes. What can I do before I get rid of her? For two months she has been peeing everywhere. I have to throw away so many things because of her. I am at the point of saying I don't want her anymore. I am at the end of her peeing everywhere.

By Kendra G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like she has picked up an infection or has developed a complication from the surgery...take her to the vet!

February 20, 2014 Flag

I have a 4 year old male cat. He is fixed and started peeing everywhere! He uses the litter box but he still pees. Could it be that I have two female cats that aren't fixed? I don't know how to stop him from peeing, and I don't want to have to give him up. Please help.

By Linda S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I think you guessed about half the problem. Get the girls fixed. Your male cat may be feeling territorial about other males that show up looking for your females. You also might want to have him checked for a bladder infection.

September 23, 2013 Flag

I have two 13 year old cats, a male and a female who despite living together for ten years, hate each other. Both cats have had UTIs in the past with the occasional spraying outside of the litter tray, but were put on special diets (which they are still on) to stop the UTIs which stopped the occasional spraying.

Over the past few months though, my female cat has been spraying/peeing more and more frequently so that now it's pretty much daily on things like the toaster, the kitchen bench, the couch, books, anywhere and it seems like everywhere! I recently caught my male cat spraying in the same place after I'd cleaned up after her so I am not sure how much of it is him, but I suspect it is her 90% of the time.

Her behaviour has been changing too, for example she used to be outside most of the time, but now rarely goes out, she has become quite clingy and she vocalises as though she's lost sometimes. The vet says she seems quite healthy for an old cat though and after finding it wasn't the UTI, recommended I try a Feliway diffuser. It's been two weeks and apart from the first two days, it doesn't seem to have made a difference, she even sprayed the wall right next to the diffuser! I have 3 litter trays that I scoop as soon as I see anything, but she/they pee on it or in front of it as much as in it!

I really don't know what else to do and am about to lose my marbles. Any advice, ideas, or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

By Emma S. from Melbourne, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Because of your cats age, I would be suspicious of kidney disease. Have you noticed her drinking more water? The 1st sign is often "drink a lot/pee a lot' behavior. The crying behavior is also typical. They just dont feel well. A young healthy cat can live months/years with treatment for kidney disease. A blood test at the Vet will tell if her kidneys are failing. That is where I would look 1st. They need to eat wet food instead of dry, and if the condition is severe, there is prescription food for it. My cat peed in the toaster once. I of course came along and dropped a piece of bread in the toaster. To this day, 20 years later I remember the smell with perfect clarity.

December 9, 2015 Flag

Our cat, Puffy, has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? I refuse neuter my cat.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Puffy may have a medical problem, (diabetes re peeing problem?) and need medical help now to help. However, if Puffy does not have a medical problem and you refuse to neuter him, you may have to live with his very natural peeing/marking behavior.

October 14, 2015 Flag

We brought in a stray kitten a few days ago and initially he seemed to have taken to the litter box well, he only attempted to poo outside of it once and we set him inside as he was going and the problem never reoccurred. However he never pees in the litter box, and he always seems to find a different spot to pee on, and it's always somewhere my boyfriend and I spend the most time (bed, in between the couch cushions). He even peed on my feet while I was sleeping the other night.

I know this is likely him marking, but is there anything (besides the old mouthwash and tinfoil trick) that can get him to finally start peeing in the litter box. We keep the one we have in the main bathroom downstairs, we're buying another today, but aren't sure where to put it. I'd like to keep a stinky litter box out of the kitchen, but our apartment is so small. Both bedrooms are upstairs. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go for the litterbox in the kitchen. I pick mine twice a day and there is no odor. Get a good quality litter that is unscented. Perfume is a turn off for cats used to the outdoors. Search this site for ideas. There are a lot. I have heard of folks who restrict pets to a bathroom (Part of the day or at night) with their litterbox. This seems to help them get the idea. They are more fastidious if they have to be close to the little mistake. Bless you for taking in this little monkey...especially when he peed on your feet. You gets points in heaven for that.

June 19, 2011 Flag

I have a male Persian cat and he is peeing almost everywhere and not using the litterbox at all. But in the case of poop, he uses the litter box or the bathroom very properly. Please help me find solution; it's urgent.

By Afrin from Navi Mumbai, India

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In order to get rid of the smell of cat urine use peroxide. Just pour it on the area and let it soak in. Works wonderful best thing out there to get rid of the smell of cat pee

December 16, 2014 Flag

How can I stop my cat from peeing and pooping everywhere? I'm pretty sure it's from stress, as my older brother likes to scare him and the younger one drags him to bed. However, when we put a stop to it, which lasted about 4 or 5 months, he still kept doing it. He goes everywhere. The beds, dog bowls, couch, under the bed, outside, but never in the litter box despite changing litter and getting a new box for separate cats, we have two, brothers, he still has not stopped. What can we do? We really don't want to give him away.

By Tiffany

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The poor cat is obviously extremely stressed from the mistreatment by your brothers. It will probably take some time and much love and understanding on everyone's part to change the urinating and defecating behavior. It is clear your cat is still suffering from and always expecting to be harrassed by your brothers. Your kitty is not a toy, your brothers must stop scaring him and using him like a stuffed animal. He has feelings and emotions very much like humans and suffers from mistreatment like humans.

If you truly love your cat and want to help him, please take him to your vet and ask for help in changing his behavior. Possibly some medication and certainly commitment on your part will help poor kitty improve his problem.

January 16, 2016 Flag

My cats are 6 and 7 months old. They began peeing on stuff only when my boyfriend's daughter comes for the weekend. She has cats at her place as well. Please help, their litter is clean and everything. It's only when she is here.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suggest getting them both fixed. Otherwise when your daughter is there keep them in another room with their litter box. They must be smelling her cats and marking their territory. I have always fixed my cats right around 5 months. I've never had an issue like this before.

December 27, 2015 Flag

My cat is 4 years old and got neutered before he was 1. He has had 2 UTIs and 2 kidney stones in the past. His diet has been changed and he's so much better. Here's the thing, we moved into our new house last night. I showed him where his clean litterbox is and everything. Also, all of the flooring is brand new. But he keeps peeing everywhere, even on the tile flooring.

I know stress/change of environment could play a part, but I need to stop him from doing this. I did not get any sleep last night, he was coming in the bedroom, jumping on my bed and constantly meowing. But when I would get up, he would be fine. He's feeling okay, acting normal (other than the peeing), eating, etc. I have cleaned with enzymatic cleaner, all that. But he is literally peeing everywhere!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you kitty is having a hard time adjusting to the move. You need to eliminate a bladder infection as a cause of the problem, so get him to the Vet soon. It is a very likely possibility. Stress really can bring it on. The stress will diminish with time, and I'm sure he will improve. Some folks keep their cats confined to a room with a litterbox until things settle down a bit. It seems to help some cats. But be sure and get him to the Vet right away to be sure on the bladder infection. Good luck.

March 11, 2015 Flag

I have a 6 month old male cat who recently just started peeing on my daughter's bed, just outta the blue. I don't know what to do. Nothing has changed in the household and he also tries to escape outside all the time. I can't have him outside as I live in a campground and I can't afford to have him just peeing in places other then his litter box. I live in a small enclosed camper. Please help. Any information will be great. Thank you.

By Jordan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do not state whether your cat is neutered. He is now six months old and, if not neutered, may be approaching the "looking for females" stage and wants to go outside. Neutering should significantly reduce his need to go outside.

Regarding his (or your!) urination problem. He may have a medical problem that hurts him when using the litter box-it may be too high for him to climb over without pain. Please take him to your vet immediately to clarify any possible medical problem and needed treatment. If he is healthy, your vet can help you help change your cat's pee habit.

April 14, 2011 Flag

I have found out that my cat is urinating everywhere. She is in heat and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I need to know why she is doing this quickly and how to stop it. I am on a trip right now, can't go to a vet, and I definitively don't want to get kicked out of the hotel. Thank God they allow pets. Please help me!

By Will from New York City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ditto the advice to have the cat spayed. The humane society does low cost spaying. Some rescue groups do also. It can be as low as $20 in my area. Be sure to have a unrinalysis done as soon as possible. Urinary tract infections are painful, and usually clear up with antibiotics without too much difficulty; but if you let them go on untreated can cause long term damage. If your cat has just a bladder irritation, the are cranberry products to add to the food that I have used and like. One from Only Natural Pets (onlynaturalpets.com) is my favorite. Good luck.

June 24, 2010 Flag

I have two cats, 16 and 19 years old, both spayed. They both eat a low protein vet cat food to help with an early stage kidney problem the oldest has. They have two oversize litter boxes that are kept clean, no change in the litter brand.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets CatsSeptember 5, 2013
Cat walking on a kitchen counter.
Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 5:26:13 AM on 10.0.1.62 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.