Asking a Guy to a Dance

Tolo and Sadie's school dances are an established opportunity for girls to invite a guy to go to the dance with them. This is a guide containing ideas for asking a guy to a dance.

September 28, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about asking a guy to a formal dance. You can get very creative when asking a boy to an important school dance.

Girl in prom dress kissing boy in suit on the cheek

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2016 Flag

This guide is about asking a guy to a sweethearts dance. Finding an appropriate way to invite a boy to a dance can be a challenge.

Close up of couple holding hands. Boy is in suit, girl is in a red sparkly party dress

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 27, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about asking a guy friend to a dance. Asking a close friend to a school dance is not an uncommon occurrence.

Friendly teen couple pose casually for picture at a school dance

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about asking a boy to homecoming. You may want to figure a clever way to invite a favorite person to an important formal school dance.

Couple Going to Homecoming

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 23, 2013 Flag

This guide is about asking a guy to a prom. When asking someone to go on a special date, you need to feel confident and ready for any answer.

A girl with her prom date.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 14, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about asking someone to Sadie Hawkins. Planning how to ask a boy to a Sadie Hawkins dance can be a lot of fun.

a girl in a formal dress

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 1, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about asking a guy to Winter Formal. Winter Formal is coming up and you are struggling to come up with a clever way to ask a guy to go.

Girl waiting for her date to a dance.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 31, 2013 Flag

It would be cool to bake something for the guy and have a GIANT poster that reads "TOLO?" Then you give the guy a clothing item. My BFF is asking his best friend so we are going to ask them at the same time.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 16, 2011 Flag

Please help. There is this guy I like a lot and I want to ask him to the Valentine's dance, but I don't know how. Does anyone have any cute ideas?

By Harlie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You must be brave. Life is too short to just sit by and allow another girl to snap him up without you taking the risk. Just walk up and smile, and ask him to go with you. If he says no then either go by yourself or ask someone else. Plenty of fish. I'm 37 and I went to my junior prom with a guy, and it was fun but I went on my own to my senior prom and had a blast. Just ask him!

In my day, the girls all waited for the guy to ask the girl to go to the dance. Now that things have reversed a gal finds herself going through the humiliation of rejection while the guy has to figurre a way to let her down easy. I think guys still should be the pursuer and the girls need to be patient and wait. If you're not asked, then he's not that interested.

October 24, 2013 Flag

I need a cute way to ask this guy to a dance.

By Allison from Forest City, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

"Wanna dance?" will do just fine.

Depending on the occasion, you could try "Shut up and dance!" like the song.

If the guy has not danced yet all evening, try: "Do you want to dance or fake it like I do?"

Whatever you say, say it loud and face on to facilitate lip reading, in order to avoid a "Huh?", which would buy him time to think up an excuse.

Alright I know what you're talking about:) If you go on pinterest or just search it on the web, there are tons of cute ideas! It kinda depends on what this guy likes and such. For example, my boyfriend is the drumline captain so I was thinking of asking him with drumsticks or something. But he also loves Disneyland so I was also thinking of asking him there. Depending on how much you know this guy, you may want to go with something simple like a sign, but they also love when you tie their personal interests into asking them:)

January 12, 2015 Flag

I've been talking to this guy for a while. Twirp is coming and I really want to ask him. I've never asked anyone before, so I want this to be cute and special. He's into dirt biking, hockey, video games, and he loves cookies. Any ideas?

By Jordan M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make or buy a giant size of his favourite cookie and using a tube of decorating icing or gel, write something like: It would be sweet if you would be my date for Twirp.

October 19, 2014 Flag

I like this guy at my school and I want to ask him to the dance. The thing is I'm scared and really nervous to ask him. What's the best way to ask someone without getting nervous?

By briannajeanne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been there before and the thing is the nerves never really go away until you ask him. You just have to be confident in yourself and know that whether he says yes or no that you are still an amazing person and that you deserve someone who can see that and love that. If you don't want to ask him directly because it is too nerve-racking, you can always give him something(creatively made by you) asking him to the dance. But don't be so afraid that you don't ask him at all! Best of luck to you! Just keep being you and that'll do it:)

April 14, 2015 Flag

I want to take one of my ex-boyfriends to a school dance, but I don't know how to ask him.

By Alexis from Wellman, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2012 Flag

I don't know any cute, fun ways to ask a guy to morp. It's girl's choice and it'll be my 1st high school dance. I am a junior and want to make this a fun memorable time

By Kayla W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Write it on his car with washables.

Just make a poster and lots of balloons around his room or in his class then you write yes on red no on black and maybe on yellow. Then tell him to pop his answer and give it to you.

October 23, 2013 Flag

I have a crush on my guy friend and really want to ask him to Co-ed, but can't think of cute ways. He is really into science, but I don't have any ideas.

By Emily F. from Pocatello, ID

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you seen those posters that use elements from periodic table to spell out words? You can search it, but if he's really into science that might be a really good idea:) Or maybe just asking him in his science class, getting the teacher in on it? Idk, just brainstorming :P

September 17, 2013 Flag

So there's this guy and he's a senior and plays football, likes God, the army, and video games. I need to come up with a cute and unique way of asking him. Any ideas?

By Tiffany D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See if you can find a plastic army man, you know one of the green ones. Write your question on a circle of white cloth. Punch 4 holes in it, tie a string in each hole and tie it on the plastic soldier. Fold the parachute and toss it up in the air in front of him so it floats down near him. Don't hit him with it!

October 26, 2012 Flag

There is a girls' choice formal dance coming up at my high school, and the boy I want to ask doesn't really know me that well. We have one class at school and that's about the only time we talk. Any ideas on how to ask him? And any advice? :)

By Keagan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just walk up to the guy and ask him. If you are uncomfortable asking him before or after the class you share try to find out if you have the same lunch break or find out where his locker is and meet him there after last class and ask him. You don't have to do anything special just walk up and say, "Hi (name) I wanted to ask you to the dance" or " Hi (name) I wanted to know if you would take me to the dance".

May 16, 2012 Flag

So there is a dance the twenty-fifth and I really want to ask this guy, but I don't want to make it weird! Please help.

By Kaelee from Buhl, ID

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just walk up to him and say, "Hey... have you found someone to take to the dance?" If he says yes just respond,"Good, I'll see you there". and start thinking of other guys. If he says NO respond, "Good, will you take me?" See were that gets you.

October 27, 2010 Flag

What are some cute ways to ask a guy to a dance?

By Fernanda from Weiser, ID

Answers:

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

If you plan ahead, you can order some custom M&Ms in school colors and have his name on one color and yours on another, or have them all say the name of the dance with your name (ex.: "Sadie's with Kylie?")

If you're pretty certain of the response and not at all shy, you could get some of your friends from choir or theater to wear a matching color and run up to the guy in the middle of the halls and do a loud clapping song like they do in restaurants for someone's birthday, except the song can be about him going to the dance with you.

One thoughtful approach is to buy a large, single flower from the grocery store or a florist (something unusual, so no roses), and tie a small piece of paper asking him to the dance around the stem.

Another more understated approach is to buy a blank card with a beautiful nature scene on the front. For the contents, hand-copy a short, inspiring poem or quote that you find meaningful, not necessarily romantic. (Maybe something about bravery, since it takes courage to ask someone out?) Then, ask them to attend the dance with you and sign it. Slip it in their locker when they're not looking, or inside a text book or their backpack to find later.
(08/27/2010)

By Lee

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

My opinion, as a guy, ask us to go with you, out right, nothing cute, nothing evasively sincere (some guys aren't that clued in). Just come right out and ask. Ask in private so he is safe from what friends might think or say. Same for your friends. Because if he turns you down in front of all your friends you will be crushed. If you have to just pull him aside and say, "I don't want this to be awkward, but will you go to the dance with me?" Straight to the point. Good luck. (08/27/2010)

By Suntydt

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2010 Flag

Can someone give me some ideas on how to ask a guy to a dance?

By Laura from Ogden, UT

Answers:

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

I think that asking with confidence is going to be very important when you ask. Confidence is hard to say no to. I would probably ask with a question that requires an answer outside of "yes" or "no". For instance, "I am sooooo excited about the dance this weekend! Seems like we would have a great time together. What do you think?". Just an idea. Have a super time at the dance! (01/08/2010)

By caninecodependent

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

My boyfriend plays water polo, so I'm buying 4 (for each period) mini water polo balls. I'll write "will you" on the first, "go to" on the second, "Sadies" on the third, and "with me" on the fourth. I'll have a teacher send a request slip for him to go to their classroom at the end of each period. The teacher will give him one of the balls, and at the end of the day he'll put them side-by-side and see the message. It works great with soccer balls, basketballs, anything! (02/03/2010)

By swim4cookies

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

Okay. So March 26th or sometime soon is our school's sadies dance. And I wanted to ask one of my guy friends to go with me after we had a great time at the Almond Blossom Festival together yesterday. So I am going to either slip a cute and creative note in his binder while we are at English class or make a paper star and have him undo it to read "Will you go to Sadie's with me?" (02/28/2010)

By DitzyGirl

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

My boyfriend likes baseball, so while he's at baseball practice I'm going to walk by and toss him a baseball that says, "Will you go to Sadie's with me?" I think it's cute. (03/08/2010)

By Pajina

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

Well in the past I've done things from posters to the tee shirt things, but I'm kinda proud of this one. This year I'm asking my bf to my prom. My girlfriends and I are making a girls' night out of it, we're going to dress in all black and stuff and go to his house in the middle of the night and completely decorate his truck with streamers and balloons and window paint and in chalk all over his drive way write "prom?" like a million times. Good night with the girls and there is no way he could say no, right? :) (04/26/2010)

By averyrenee

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

On May 21st our school is having a dance and I want to ask this boy. His favorite candy is watermelon blow-pops, and his favorite sport is baseball. So, I'm either going to write "Do you wanna go to the dance with me?" on a baseball and ask him to play catch and tell him to read it. Or, I"m gonna wrap a sticky note saying "Do you wanna go to the dance with me?" around the stick of a watermelon blow-pop! I would do the chalk thing, but if I did it at night I would probably get in trouble because his dad's a police officer. :p (05/12/2010)

By SmilerTB

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2010 Flag

Here are some great ideas from previous years on how to ask a guy to a dance. Each school has it's own name: Sadies, Tolo, Sweethearts, Morp, etc., but usually the girl is supposed to ask and pay for everything. Over the years, the ways to ask have gotten more and more elaborate. Post your own ideas below, but be sure that they are not too expensive, complicated, messy, or dangerous.

Fun Ways To Ask

Here are a couple of ways to ask to a dance that are fun.

• "It would be 'cool' if you would 'dew' me the favor of going to _______ dance with me" and get a Styrofoam cooler and fill it with ice and Mountain Dew with the letters of your name on the bottom of the cans.
  • "Don't be a dumb-dumb, be a Smartee and go to ______ dance with me". That one's self explanatory.
  • "I'm spreading good news, I'm asking you to ______ dance!" Then get newspaper and spread it around his room and you can write your name on one of them or make it really hard and circle letters in your name on different sheets of news paper.
  • For a Halloween dance you could say "Out of all the pumpkins in the patch will you go with me to Monster Mash" and then cut a little slit in the top of the pumpkin and write the letters of you name on pennies and put them through the slit and leave it on the porch.
  • If the guy you are asking is a sports freak you could do something like this (baseball example) "Mitt $25, balls $50, bat $150, ticket with your friend _____ to ______ dance. PRICELESS" and then get a little kids mitt, some plastic balls and a plastic bat. And the prices aren't real for the items, but the whole thing is a joke so make the prices realistic. And then make some fake tickets and leave them on the porch in a bucket or something.

By Nicole

A friend did this once. First buy a bucket like one you'd make a sandcastle with, then buy a little treasure box. Inside of the box. write "Sadies?" and put it at the bottom of the bucket. Fill with jelly beans or another candy, and put a note on the outside that says "dig for a treasure", and you can have a little spoon or shovel for them to find it with.

By Paige

All right, a few ideas:

• Put fortune cookies in the microwave a few seconds. Take them out, take out the old fortunes, then put in new ones with "Tolo/Sadies/go with me?" Heat them back up, then close them up
  • Make a puzzle that he'll have to put together
  • Scavenger Hunt: cute poems: so much fun. It's fun to do it with a friend and their date too, especially if they're friends
  • Put a boulder and a small pebble on his doorstep. Leave a sign "if yes, return the pebble. If no, the boulder."

By Guest

I just asked a guy to Morp today and it was pretty funny. First of all, I got a stick of butter and taped a piece of paper with his name on it to the stick of butter. I had his first period teacher give it to him. Next I got a poster board and wrote "Now that I've got you all "buttered-up" I thought I'd "POP" the question and ask you to Morp!"

For where the word POP goes, you get a thing of microwave popcorn, carefully take the popcorn bag out of the plastic bag and write your name on a fold so that he'll have to pop the popcorn bag to find out who is asking him to the dance. You put the popcorn bag back into the plastic bag and carefully tape it closed, tape it to the poster board and get a piece of paper and write "POP" on it. It's really cute. I've had my date laughing all day.

By Anon

OK, so I asked my boyfriend this way and it was so adorable. I went up to him one day and punched him and he said, "What was that for?" and I said, "Will you go to Morp with me, if you don't I'll punch you again."

He said yes. After 7 years together we are finally engaged. He proposed last night in an equally cute way. It really works. Trust me.

By Val N. Tines

Slip Him A Note

Hey, you can always try slipping a note in his locker and maybe putting your locker number on it so he can discretely drop a reply in your locker. If you've got any classes with him, you might try discretely slipping him a note or catching him after class. If you know what his last class of the day is (even if it's not yours), you might "just happen" to be around when he gets out.

If he's with friends, ask him if you can talk to him for a second and walk away slightly (with him in tow, of course) and ask him. Most guys like it when you're straightforward. Ask him first if he's thinking about going to the dance. Then ask him if he's asked anybody. If not, then ask him if he'd like to go with you. If he says he's already going with someone, ask him if he has any friends, or knows anyone, who doesn't have a date. That might save some face in the situation. Good luck.

By AnnaBanana

Keep It Simple

I think sometimes it's just best to stay simple. Just ask him.

By Guest

Eternally Unforgettable

I am a rather shy and quiet girl, so asking a guy to Sadies was a stretch for me, but ended up being the most rewarding experience.

I knew this boy who I had met several times before. He was undoubtedly the most handsome creature I had ever met. I knew him through my good friend, who also happened to be his cousin. I wanted to ask someone that I knew, but was not incredibly "love struck" by (to avoid awkwardness). So, as you can guess, I chose to ask him.

I needed an idea that was creative, simple, unromantic, and unforgettable. This was how I accomplished that goal:

1. I purchased a stuffed animal frog.
  2. I made a crown out of construction paper that said: "Sadies?" and attached it to the frog.
  3. I made a pop-up card out of magazines, pipe cleaners, and lots of elmers glue.
  4. The Most Important Part: inside the card I made a frog that popped up that said (the key note): "Of all the froggies in the lake...YOU are the prince I want to take"

The execution:

I simply gave him the card and frog after a day at the beach of playing volleyball, boogie-boarding, and lots of laughs and jokes. It was great since you can simply do this in any way you want, especially for the shy and innocent girls, as I was.

Where did it go?

He said yes of course! Sadie's was a complete and utter blast. Went to a baseball game, played volleyball, and then had a bonfire at the beach where we roasted marshmallows and Hershey's chocolate bars.

I didn't see him much after that, until summer rolled round.

We hung out as friends again, it was simple and fun. We started dating one year later. After 16 months of dating, I asked him what he thought about me asking him to Sadies. He simply laughed and said it was the best way I could have asked him.

One month later, we both came home for spring break from college. We spent the weekend with his family, cooking dinner for a movie night. I left my sweatshirt in his room. When I was leaving the room, I noticed the frog I gave him for Sadies by his computer. It still had the crown on (Sadies was a little faded)

It's been 7 years to date when I last asked him to that Sadies so long ago. We are now engaged, and he still has that frog.

By Anne

Answers:

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

Ok, I recently asked my friend to a dance. What I did was I went to each one of his classes before school started and I gave his teachers a little pumpkin with a note that said "would". The next class would have a pumpkin and the note would say "you". I went through his classes, and as he got to each class he would have the notes of "would", "you", "go" "to" "_____", "with" and at his last class I would walk in and say "me".

It totally worked and it kept him thinking who it was throughout the whole day. (10/28/2009)

By imyours

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2009 Flag

Here are some great ideas from previous years on how to ask a guy to a dance. Each school has it's own name: Sadies, Tolo, Sweethearts, Morp, etc. but usually the girl is supposed to ask and pay for everything. Over the years, the ways to ask have gotten more and more elaborate. Post your own ideas below but be sure that they are not too expensive, complicated, messy or dangerous.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Holidays and Parties Parties School DancesFebruary 29, 2012
Asking a Guy Friend to a Dance
Girl waiting for her date to a dance.
Asking a Guy to Winter Formal
a girl in a formal dress
Asking Someone to Sadie Hawkins
Asking a Guy to a Formal Dance
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:50:48 AM on 10.0.0.234 in 14 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.