Asking a Guy to a Dance

Tolo and Sadie's school dances are an established opportunity for girls to invite a guy to go to the dance with them. This is a guide containing ideas for asking a guy to a dance.

Boy and shy girl standing by lockers.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 12, 2015 Flag

I've been talking to this guy for a while. Twirp is coming and I really want to ask him. I've never asked anyone before, so I want this to be cute and special. He's into dirt biking, hockey, video games, and he loves cookies. Any ideas?

By Jordan M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make or buy a giant size of his favourite cookie and using a tube of decorating icing or gel, write something like: It would be sweet if you would be my date for Twirp.

January 16, 2011 Flag

Please help. There is this guy I like a lot and I want to ask him to the Valentine's dance, but I don't know how. Does anyone have any cute ideas?

By Harlie

In my day, the girls all waited for the guy to ask the girl to go to the dance. Now that things have reversed a gal finds herself going through the humiliation of rejection while the guy has to figurre a way to let her down easy. I think guys still should be the pursuer and the girls need to be patient and wait. If you're not asked, then he's not that interested.

I agree that you should simply ask him but if you're nervous about asking verbally why don't you cut out a heart from a nice piece of red paper, write on the inside of the folded side, "Will You Go To The Valentine's Dance With Me?", fold it back in half, hand it to him in person, stand there in front of him until he reads it and see what happens. Here is a link of how to cut your own nice heart:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Symmetrical-Paper-Heart

Let not your heart be troubled or your ego and confidence be crushed if he says no because, as was already mentioned, there are plenty of fish in the sea and you'll have fun going to the dance with or without a date. Let us know what happens. :-)

Read More Answers...

October 24, 2013 Flag

I need a cute way to ask this guy to a dance.

By Allison from Forest City, IA

"Wanna dance?" will do just fine.

Depending on the occasion, you could try "Shut up and dance!" like the song.

If the guy has not danced yet all evening, try: "Do you want to dance or fake it like I do?"

Whatever you say, say it loud and face on to facilitate lip reading, in order to avoid a "Huh?", which would buy him time to think up an excuse.

Alright I know what you're talking about:) If you go on pinterest or just search it on the web, there are tons of cute ideas! It kinda depends on what this guy likes and such. For example, my boyfriend is the drumline captain so I was thinking of asking him with drumsticks or something. But he also loves Disneyland so I was also thinking of asking him there. Depending on how much you know this guy, you may want to go with something simple like a sign, but they also love when you tie their personal interests into asking them:)

October 19, 2014 Flag

I like this guy at my school and I want to ask him to the dance. The thing is I'm scared and really nervous to ask him. What's the best way to ask someone without getting nervous?

By briannajeanne

I've been there before and the thing is the nerves never really go away until you ask him. You just have to be confident in yourself and know that whether he says yes or no that you are still an amazing person and that you deserve someone who can see that and love that. If you don't want to ask him directly because it is too nerve-racking, you can always give him something(creatively made by you) asking him to the dance. But don't be so afraid that you don't ask him at all! Best of luck to you! Just keep being you and that'll do it:)

February 22, 2012 Flag

I don't know any cute, fun ways to ask a guy to morp. It's girl's choice and it'll be my 1st high school dance. I am a junior and want to make this a fun memorable time

By Kayla W.

Write it on his car with washables.

Just make a poster and lots of balloons around his room or in his class then you write yes on red no on black and maybe on yellow. Then tell him to pop his answer and give it to you.

October 23, 2013 Flag

I have a crush on my guy friend and really want to ask him to Co-ed, but can't think of cute ways. He is really into science, but I don't have any ideas.

By Emily F. from Pocatello, ID

Have you seen those posters that use elements from periodic table to spell out words? You can search it, but if he's really into science that might be a really good idea:) Or maybe just asking him in his science class, getting the teacher in on it? Idk, just brainstorming :P

September 17, 2013 Flag

So there's this guy and he's a senior and plays football, likes God, the army, and video games. I need to come up with a cute and unique way of asking him. Any ideas?

By Tiffany D.

See if you can find a plastic army man, you know one of the green ones. Write your question on a circle of white cloth. Punch 4 holes in it, tie a string in each hole and tie it on the plastic soldier. Fold the parachute and toss it up in the air in front of him so it floats down near him. Don't hit him with it!

October 26, 2012 Flag

There is a girls' choice formal dance coming up at my high school, and the boy I want to ask doesn't really know me that well. We have one class at school and that's about the only time we talk. Any ideas on how to ask him? And any advice? :)

By Keagan

Just walk up to the guy and ask him. If you are uncomfortable asking him before or after the class you share try to find out if you have the same lunch break or find out where his locker is and meet him there after last class and ask him. You don't have to do anything special just walk up and say, "Hi (name) I wanted to ask you to the dance" or " Hi (name) I wanted to know if you would take me to the dance".

May 16, 2012 Flag

So there is a dance the twenty-fifth and I really want to ask this guy, but I don't want to make it weird! Please help.

By Kaelee from Buhl, ID

Just walk up to him and say, "Hey... have you found someone to take to the dance?" If he says yes just respond,"Good, I'll see you there". and start thinking of other guys. If he says NO respond, "Good, will you take me?" See were that gets you.

February 15, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about asking a boy to homecoming. You may want to figure a clever way to invite a favorite person to an important formal school dance.

Couple Going to Homecoming

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 23, 2013 Flag

This guide is about asking a guy to a prom. When asking someone to go on a special date, you need to feel confident and ready for any answer.

A girl with her prom date.

February 14, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about asking someone to Sadie Hawkins. Planning how to ask a boy to a Sadie Hawkins dance can be a lot of fun.

a girl in a formal dress

January 31, 2013 Flag

Well, I was texting the guy I'm going to ask to our girls choice dance (Tolo) and I told him I'm asking this other guy and I need ideas. I asked him how he would want to be asked so I could use that idea to ask him. He doesnt know I'm asking him, he thinks I'm asking somebody else.

Anyways, he said that it would be cool to bake something (he said brownies) for the guy and have a GIANT poster that reads "TOLO?" Then you give the guy a clothing item (eg. sunglasses, watch, snapback/beanie, etc.). My BFF is asking his best friend so we are going to ask them at the same time.

What we are going to do is bake some brownies and go to the Dan's house (the guy I'm asking) since I'm friends with his family. We are going to have the poster and be waiting inside at the entrance to his house. She is going to be wearing a white shirt that says "Will" and I'm going to be wearing a white shirt that says "Dan/Daniel". I'll wear a snapback to give to Dan and she will be wearing a beanie to give to Will. It's going to be perfect. We know Will and Dan are going to say yes because I asked if Will would say yes to her and he said he would. And Will asked Dan who he wants to ask him to Tolo and he said he really wants me to ask him. Anyways, I hope this was worth reading and not too confusing! Hope this works if you're planning on asking somebody with your friend! This works for guys and girls :)

By Em'n'm

October 27, 2010 Flag

What are some cute ways to ask a guy to a dance?

By Fernanda from Weiser, ID

Answers:

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

If you plan ahead, you can order some custom M&Ms in school colors and have his name on one color and yours on another, or have them all say the name of the dance with your name (ex.: "Sadie's with Kylie?")

If you're pretty certain of the response and not at all shy, you could get some of your friends from choir or theater to wear a matching color and run up to the guy in the middle of the halls and do a loud clapping song like they do in restaurants for someone's birthday, except the song can be about him going to the dance with you.

One thoughtful approach is to buy a large, single flower from the grocery store or a florist (something unusual, so no roses), and tie a small piece of paper asking him to the dance around the stem.

Another more understated approach is to buy a blank card with a beautiful nature scene on the front. For the contents, hand-copy a short, inspiring poem or quote that you find meaningful, not necessarily romantic. (Maybe something about bravery, since it takes courage to ask someone out?) Then, ask them to attend the dance with you and sign it. Slip it in their locker when they're not looking, or inside a text book or their backpack to find later.
(08/27/2010)

By Lee

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

My opinion, as a guy, ask us to go with you, out right, nothing cute, nothing evasively sincere (some guys aren't that clued in). Just come right out and ask. Ask in private so he is safe from what friends might think or say. Same for your friends. Because if he turns you down in front of all your friends you will be crushed. If you have to just pull him aside and say, "I don't want this to be awkward, but will you go to the dance with me?" Straight to the point. Good luck. (08/27/2010)

By Suntydt

August 27, 2010 Flag

Can someone give me some ideas on how to ask a guy to a dance?

By Laura from Ogden, UT

Answers:

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

I think that asking with confidence is going to be very important when you ask. Confidence is hard to say no to. I would probably ask with a question that requires an answer outside of "yes" or "no". For instance, "I am sooooo excited about the dance this weekend! Seems like we would have a great time together. What do you think?". Just an idea. Have a super time at the dance! (01/08/2010)

By caninecodependent

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

My boyfriend plays water polo, so I'm buying 4 (for each period) mini water polo balls. I'll write "will you" on the first, "go to" on the second, "Sadies" on the third, and "with me" on the fourth. I'll have a teacher send a request slip for him to go to their classroom at the end of each period. The teacher will give him one of the balls, and at the end of the day he'll put them side-by-side and see the message. It works great with soccer balls, basketballs, anything! (02/03/2010)

By swim4cookies

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

Okay. So March 26th or sometime soon is our school's sadies dance. And I wanted to ask one of my guy friends to go with me after we had a great time at the Almond Blossom Festival together yesterday. So I am going to either slip a cute and creative note in his binder while we are at English class or make a paper star and have him undo it to read "Will you go to Sadie's with me?" (02/28/2010)

By DitzyGirl

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

My boyfriend likes baseball, so while he's at baseball practice I'm going to walk by and toss him a baseball that says, "Will you go to Sadie's with me?" I think it's cute. (03/08/2010)

By Pajina

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

Well in the past I've done things from posters to the tee shirt things, but I'm kinda proud of this one. This year I'm asking my bf to my prom. My girlfriends and I are making a girls' night out of it, we're going to dress in all black and stuff and go to his house in the middle of the night and completely decorate his truck with streamers and balloons and window paint and in chalk all over his drive way write "prom?" like a million times. Good night with the girls and there is no way he could say no, right? :) (04/26/2010)

By averyrenee

Ideas For Asking a Guy To a Dance

On May 21st our school is having a dance and I want to ask this boy. His favorite candy is watermelon blow-pops, and his favorite sport is baseball. So, I'm either going to write "Do you wanna go to the dance with me?" on a baseball and ask him to play catch and tell him to read it. Or, I"m gonna wrap a sticky note saying "Do you wanna go to the dance with me?" around the stick of a watermelon blow-pop! I would do the chalk thing, but if I did it at night I would probably get in trouble because his dad's a police officer. :p (05/12/2010)

By SmilerTB

January 8, 2010 Flag

Here are some great ideas from previous years on how to ask a guy to a dance.

October 18, 2009 Flag

Here are some great ideas from previous years on how to ask a guy to a dance. Each school has it's own name: Sadies, Tolo, Sweethearts, Morp, etc. but usually the girl is supposed to ask and pay for everything. Over the years, the ways to ask have gotten more and more elaborate. Post your own ideas below but be sure that they are not too expensive, complicated, messy or dangerous.

February 22, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

September 22, 2007 Flag
Holidays and Parties Parties School DancesFebruary 29, 2012
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Girl waiting for her date to a dance.
Asking a Guy to Winter Formal
A girl with her prom date.
Asking a Guy to Prom
How to Belly Dance, Beautiful Bealldancer
How to Belly Dance
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:09:42 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 838 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.