Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Formica

Whether you are cleaning up a vintage table or your kitchen counters, you may be looking for tips on cleaning Formica. This is a guide about cleaning Formica.

May 28, 2015 Flag

I recently had to deal with a stained white laminate counter top, due to a tea spill that wasn't cleaned up right away. I tried everything to clean it: thick bleach, baking soda (left on for two 24 hour periods), dish soap, all-purpose cleaners, and Vim powder; nothing worked! In fact, bleach seemed to darken the stain, and I suspect this is due to the hard water in our location.

What did work was a melamine "magic eraser", such as the Mr. Clean brand, but any type of melamine foam pad will work. Scrubbing really hard on the stain with the eraser did what no other cleaner could. Now the countertop looks just like normal, after a few sessions with the eraser. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just go with the melamine foam.

Link: http://ask.metafilter.com/18615/Getting-stains-out-of-a-white-formica-kitchen-counter

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I washed the graese off . And it fated the texture off all so.

March 5, 2011 Flag

To remove a stain on your Formica counter top, just slather a thick amount of dish washing detergent over it and let it sit for several hours, then wipe it up. The detergent seems to draw the stain into it. I discovered this by accident and it works over 90% of the time.

By Ramona from Ocala, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 23, 2005 Flag

• 1/2 teaspoon Murphy's oil soap
  • 3 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon olive oil or linseed oil
  • 1/2 cup warm water

Directions:

Mix above ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well. Spray on and wipe surfaces. Rinse well.

By truerblue

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a green Formica countertop that has pink mold in the crease behind the sink area. How do I remove the mold without removing color from the Formica?

The color should not come out of the formica, unless someone painted over it. I would clean it with a toothbrush and a cleaner made to kill mold/mildew, or bleach water and oxyclean made into a paste.

If you are afraid of bleaching out the color, try vinegar or the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

February 5, 2001 Flag

I have been trying in vain to find some way to clean the counter tops in my kitchen. We are renting this house and the counter tops in the kitchen (Formica I think) are beige. There are all kinds of grayish stains and some that look like rust.

I have tried Comet, Ajax, Bon Ami, a little household bleach and SOS pads to no avail! They have helped with some of the lighter stains, but there are still those awful old ugly brownish/grayish stains! I'm not sure where these came from, but I sure would like to get rid of them.

If anyone has any suggestions, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you. I saw a commercial on TV for something called Oxi-Clean and was wondering if that might help (however, it may just be for laundry, I'm not sure). Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone! :)

By Kathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

how do I get a burn mark off of a formica counter?

Editor's Note: Try some Barkeeper's Friend. It is in the supermarket near the Comet and sink cleansers.

For food stains(organic stain) we use 1 scoop of Oxi-Clean in 1 qt. of water. This is also great to really shine up stainless steel sinks. Use your dish brush to scrub.

March 20, 2016 Flag

How do I remove product stain from a black Formica countertop?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 23, 2013 Flag

I had accidently sprayed some oven cleaner on my black Formica counter. It has left a stain. How can I restore the color to the counter?

By Helen E. from Bellingham, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Perhaps try Armoral or a spray wax, like Pledge...Good luck!

You might try touching up the spots, with mineral oil, cooking oil, olive oil, etc. Rub the oil on...then rub it off. Good luck!

October 17, 2014 Flag

How can you remove stains from Formica tops?

By Joy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to remove sanitizer from formica countertop?

January 19, 2006 Flag

How can I clean formica furniture?

C from Coconut Creek, Florida

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

lighter fluid or glass cleaner with ammonia definitely...maybe vinegar?

Rubbing alcohol and cotton ball with elbow grease - works best when used before other cleaners, but if the other didn't work, it is still worth a try. Good Luck!

September 18, 2012 Flag

I have a vintage Formica-top kitchen table in my bedroom. It sounds weird, but it fits in and there's room for it. I have a large room and a small table.

The other day, I (foolishly) stood beside it while using hairspray, and now when you run your hand across it, you can feel the overspray. You can't see any difference.

How can I clean this off without damaging the 50-60 year old table? It didn't come clean with Windex.

By Claire

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try warm soap and water. One coat of hairspray shouldn't be that hard to remove.

The same thing you use to get hairspray off your hair, shampoo!

February 20, 2011 Flag

I have Formica countertops and also Formica on the back of my stove. Could you please tell me how to get grease spots off of my Formica on the back of my stove.

By Pat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try some of the cleaners made specifically for kitchen grease. Or wet a rag with hot water and squirt a little dish washing soap on it and try that.

I've had very good luck with the foam "Kitchen Cleaner". Spray the foam on and let it sit for 5 or 10 min. A clue that it's working is the foam will take on a yellow/brown hue.

March 29, 2015 Flag

I have a 1950s Formica table with a built in extension. The extension is still the bright red the table had, but the outer portions have turned dark, how can I correct the darkened areas?

By Aleah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 18, 2012 Flag

What is the best way to clean a 1950s Formica top table?

By Sandra from Tamaqua, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had one for years. It was new when I bought it in 1965. I just cleaned the top on a regular basis just like cleaning the counter tops. I have kicked myself several times for getting rid of it and getting a more modern one.

August 1, 2009 Flag

I want to clean Formica so that I can faux paint it to look like granite. What should I use to make sure it is really clean and the paint will stick?

By Maryann P. from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

TSP is the best thing to use to clean them properly. Just make sure you also rinse and dry well before painting.

Kim from Penetang

Hi Maryanne:

I just created a blog through this website all about my experiences remodeling my kitchen. I painted my counter tops to look like galaxy granite and talk about some of the troubles I ran into while doing it, which might be of benefit to you. I'm not sure if my blog is working correctly or if anybody has taken a look at it, but I'd love it if they did.

Like grammakin suggested, I used TSP to clean my counters and in my blog I talk about some of the other steps involved.

Thrifty-Something Blog:

http://www.myfr  /blog_Mrs_V.html

Be sure you are logged in if you want to connect to my link. I'm not sure if it's just my computer, but if you want to see additional information about each photo you have to click on the photo.

Good luck with your counters.

December 30, 2011 Flag

How do I clean rust stains on white Formica?

By Julienne I

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had good results using a scouring powder like Bon Ami, Barkeeps Friend, and in drastic application, Comet or Ajax. Test a small corner to see if it will make things worse before trying to do the whole thing, though, to be sure you can live with it.

May 6, 2009 Flag

My black Formica countertop has white stains that do not show up when wet but can see when dry. Any ideas on how to remove them?

By windmilldecor from Fort Lauderdale

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is possible that the white on your countertop was caused by a little standing water, hot pots or abrasive cleaners, all of which are a no-no for Formica. Because the white only shows up when the counter is dry, the counter probably needs a good waxing with a product made exclusively for Formica. Here is a link that tells how to care for Formica countertops.

http://www2.ans  b10-833c246434b0

March 5, 2011 Flag

How do I remove a hair dye stain and a rust ring from a shaving cream can off an old formica bathroom countertop?

By Nancy from Nashua, NH

Answers:

Stains on Formica

Brush neat undiluted bleach onto the stain and leave as long as possible (overnight if you can) then rinse off, it will either have removed the stain or radically lightened it, reapply if necessary, or simply rub with a cream cleanser and rinse, this worked for me a few times, when I was a home hairdresser! (11/11/2009)

By keepsy

Stains on Formica

I am amazed and thrilled! The baking soda and white vinegar paste worked miraculously on strawberry stains. Left in on 15-20 minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes. And like others said just a little rubbing brought the final shading off. Maybe someone used another vinegar who said it couldn't work. And it didn't change the shading compared to the part I didn't treat. (06/10/2010)

By litzingerkaren

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 20, 2011 Flag

I need some tips for cleaning grease from Formica.

By Rocco from White Plains, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2009 Flag

How can I clean my formica countertop which is badly stained with all kinds of dirty marks?

railroader

Answers:

Stains on Formica

Hi,
The question about how to get out Formica stains...this is one I have a lot of experience with. Although I hate using any toxic cleaners, I've never had good luck w/ Formica stains using baking soda, or vinegar, etc. The only thing that, unfortunately, works like a charm and very quickly is old-fashioned bleach. I squeeze out a wet sponge, pour some bleach on it, and then wipe the Formica stains. If it's stubborn stains, leave it on for a minute before wiping away. Make sure to clean area with plain water very well afterward. This works so well, that ground-in dirt also comes clean. Good luck.

Arlene (08/07/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Stains on Formica

Hello Railroader,
In regard to your formica counter tops: I have tried several methods to clean mine. The only one that worked was compound that is used on automobiles. Get one that has a fine grit. It takes some elbow grease to accomplish, but it works. After cleaning them, use car wax. It does not scratch them. You will have to re-polish about every 3 months.

- Faye (08/09/2003)

By ThriftyFun

Stains on Formica

I just used a paste of baking soda and white vinegar to remove a stain made by the purple dye of a flower pot wrapping. The Formica is light green in color. It worked! I let it sit for 10 minutes and rubbed gently with a paper towel for less than a minute. The new formica material stains more easily than the old. You'd think it would be better. (01/08/2006)

By KW

Stains on Formica

I had brown stains from I don't know what, on my cream colored formica counter top and used the vinegar and baking soda paste. It worked with a lot of scrubbing with a scrubby sponge. Bleach wouldn't even remove these stains. (08/29/2007)

By Colleen

Stains on Formica

I took the baking soda/vinegar 10 minute advice. It worked so well, now the rest of the counter looks stained! (09/11/2008)

By Christy

Stains on Formica

That has got to be the coolest thing I have ever seen! I thought I'd never get the stains out of my kitchen counter with the baking soda/vinegar combo. (01/15/2009)

By Lisa

Stains on Formica

Our counter top is formica, 21 years old and an almond color. It looked a bit dull, and had 2 cup ring marks that I could not remove. I made a heavy paste of baking soda and vinegar and left it for 20 minutes. After rubbing, rinsing thoroughly, and drying completely with a soft dish towel, it looks like brand new. (01/17/2009)

By Shirley H.

Stains on Formica

Do NOT use bleach! I have white, speckled formica in my kitchen and used bleach on a couple of well used areas which had a slight brownish stain. The bleach caused an alarming much browner stain! Thanks to advice found online, I got Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which is working. I got the original version, but my hardware store also had a newer, stronger one. The kind I got consists of white sponges which you just wet with water then gently rub the formica surface. (01/26/2009)

By Patty

Stains on Formica

Yeah, I can attest bleach, truly my favorite cleaner, has let me down on this one. I was trying to get rid of some mildew on my bathroom sink. It stained the white formica yellow-green. Don't do it! I'll try the baking soda. (02/07/2009)

By Patrick

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 29, 2013
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Bottle of Clorox bleach.
Repairing Bleach Stains on Formica
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 5:15:43 AM on 10.0.2.54 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.