Cleaning Formica

Whether you are cleaning up a vintage table or your kitchen counters, you may be looking for tips on cleaning Formica. This is a guide about cleaning Formica.

May 28, 2015 Flag

I recently had to deal with a stained white laminate counter top, due to a tea spill that wasn't cleaned up right away. I tried everything to clean it: thick bleach, baking soda (left on for two 24 hour periods), dish soap, all-purpose cleaners, and Vim powder; nothing worked! In fact, bleach seemed to darken the stain, and I suspect this is due to the hard water in our location.

What did work was a melamine "magic eraser", such as the Mr. Clean brand, but any type of melamine foam pad will work. Scrubbing really hard on the stain with the eraser did what no other cleaner could. Now the countertop looks just like normal, after a few sessions with the eraser. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just go with the melamine foam.

Link: http://ask.metafilter.com/18615/Getting-stains-out-of-a-white-formica-kitchen-counter

February 5, 2001 Flag

I have been trying in vain to find some way to clean the counter tops in my kitchen. We are renting this house and the counter tops in the kitchen (Formica I think) are beige. There are all kinds of grayish stains and some that look like rust.

I have tried Comet, Ajax, Bon Ami, a little household bleach and SOS pads to no avail! They have helped with some of the lighter stains, but there are still those awful old ugly brownish/grayish stains! I'm not sure where these came from, but I sure would like to get rid of them.

If anyone has any suggestions, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you. I saw a commercial on TV for something called Oxi-Clean and was wondering if that might help (however, it may just be for laundry, I'm not sure). Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone! :)

By Kathy

how do I get a burn mark off of a formica counter?

Editor's Note: Try some Barkeeper's Friend. It is in the supermarket near the Comet and sink cleansers.

For food stains(organic stain) we use 1 scoop of Oxi-Clean in 1 qt. of water. This is also great to really shine up stainless steel sinks. Use your dish brush to scrub.

March 5, 2011 Flag

To remove a stain on your Formica counter top, just slather a thick amount of dish washing detergent over it and let it sit for several hours, then wipe it up. The detergent seems to draw the stain into it. I discovered this by accident and it works over 90% of the time.

By Ramona from Ocala, FL

January 19, 2006 Flag

How can I clean formica furniture?

C from Coconut Creek, Florida

lighter fluid or glass cleaner with ammonia definitely...maybe vinegar?

Rubbing alcohol and cotton ball with elbow grease - works best when used before other cleaners, but if the other didn't work, it is still worth a try. Good Luck!

October 17, 2014 Flag

How can you remove stains from Formica tops?

By Joy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to remove sanitizer from formica countertop?

February 23, 2013 Flag

I had accidently sprayed some oven cleaner on my black Formica counter. It has left a stain. How can I restore the color to the counter?

By Helen E. from Bellingham, WA

Perhaps try Armoral or a spray wax, like Pledge...Good luck!

You might try touching up the spots, with mineral oil, cooking oil, olive oil, etc. Rub the oil on...then rub it off. Good luck!

February 20, 2011 Flag

I have Formica countertops and also Formica on the back of my stove. Could you please tell me how to get grease spots off of my Formica on the back of my stove.

By Pat

Try some of the cleaners made specifically for kitchen grease. Or wet a rag with hot water and squirt a little dish washing soap on it and try that.

I've had very good luck with the foam "Kitchen Cleaner". Spray the foam on and let it sit for 5 or 10 min. A clue that it's working is the foam will take on a yellow/brown hue.

September 18, 2012 Flag

I have a vintage Formica-top kitchen table in my bedroom. It sounds weird, but it fits in and there's room for it. I have a large room and a small table.

The other day, I (foolishly) stood beside it while using hairspray, and now when you run your hand across it, you can feel the overspray. You can't see any difference.

How can I clean this off without damaging the 50-60 year old table? It didn't come clean with Windex.

By Claire

Try warm soap and water. One coat of hairspray shouldn't be that hard to remove.

The same thing you use to get hairspray off your hair, shampoo!

August 1, 2009 Flag

I want to clean Formica so that I can faux paint it to look like granite. What should I use to make sure it is really clean and the paint will stick?

By Maryann P. from Phoenix, AZ

TSP is the best thing to use to clean them properly. Just make sure you also rinse and dry well before painting.

Kim from Penetang

Hi Maryanne:

I just created a blog through this website all about my experiences remodeling my kitchen. I painted my counter tops to look like galaxy granite and talk about some of the troubles I ran into while doing it, which might be of benefit to you. I'm not sure if my blog is working correctly or if anybody has taken a look at it, but I'd love it if they did.

Like grammakin suggested, I used TSP to clean my counters and in my blog I talk about some of the other steps involved.

Thrifty-Something Blog:

http://www.myfrugallife.com/blog_Mrs_V.html

Be sure you are logged in if you want to connect to my link. I'm not sure if it's just my computer, but if you want to see additional information about each photo you have to click on the photo.

Good luck with your counters.

April 18, 2012 Flag

What is the best way to clean a 1950s Formica top table?

By Sandra from Tamaqua, PA

I had one for years. It was new when I bought it in 1965. I just cleaned the top on a regular basis just like cleaning the counter tops. I have kicked myself several times for getting rid of it and getting a more modern one.

December 30, 2011 Flag

How do I clean rust stains on white Formica?

By Julienne I

I've had good results using a scouring powder like Bon Ami, Barkeeps Friend, and in drastic application, Comet or Ajax. Test a small corner to see if it will make things worse before trying to do the whole thing, though, to be sure you can live with it.

May 6, 2009 Flag

My black Formica countertop has white stains that do not show up when wet but can see when dry. Any ideas on how to remove them?

By windmilldecor from Fort Lauderdale

It is possible that the white on your countertop was caused by a little standing water, hot pots or abrasive cleaners, all of which are a no-no for Formica. Because the white only shows up when the counter is dry, the counter probably needs a good waxing with a product made exclusively for Formica. Here is a link that tells how to care for Formica countertops.

http://www2.answerbag.com/articles/ ... 3a7460e5-f31f-00b4-9b10-833c246434b0

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 29, 2013
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Bottle of Clorox bleach.
Repairing Bleach Stains on Formica
🎉
🎄