Cleaning Permanent Marker Off a Dry Erase Board

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker off a dry erase board. When a permanent felt marker is used on a whiteboard it can be a challenge to remove all the ink.

January 25, 2010 Flag

I work in the school setting. I 'accidentally' used a regular marker instead of a dry erase marker on a dry erase board. Needless to say, the ink would not come off or what I could remove left a horrible smudged stain.

I was using the dry erase marker and wrote right over that smudge and then erased it. The dry erase marker must have a solvent agent in it as it removed the smudge. I found I sometimes must scribble over the site and immediately rub off with a tissue for a clean dry erase board.

By Antaria from Chino Valley, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use fingernail polish remover.

How clever to figure that out. I've done the same thing wth a sharpie but never thought to do that. That little smiley face stayed there for the duration of the board. : )

My DH has a bad habit of rubbing the message off with his hand, which of course makes the oils in his hands leave a stain. I finally found for that, I could just wash it off with soap and water.

My husband gets this stuff called GP66..It worked like a charm. Ssprayed it on, left it for a about a minute and used a magic eraser and all the permanent marker came off! Looks brand new too! :)

I just tried the alcohol and it worked like a charm!

Thanks!

It took me two times of doing this but it definitely saved my butt from getting grilled! I did that on my best friend's roomie's board. Thanks so much!

Thank you so much I bought permanent markers thinking they were dry erase and wrote on my whiteboard it came right off after that. Thank you, thank you so, so much!

My kids scribbled all over their new dry erase easel with a ballpoint inkpen, and I thought it was ruined! I tried this. It only took me 10-15 minutes to do the whole board, and it looks like new again. Wow! Thanks for the tip.

January 11, 2012 Flag

How can I remove permanent black marker from a whiteboard?

By gs

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Cover the mark with a dry erase marker and erase as usual. Repeat as needed and this should do the trick.

Best Answer

WD-40, nail polish remover, Mr Clean eraser-pretty easy to do but also hide the Sharpies!

Lisa is correct. This will work. You can also use the cleaning spray that is specifically for cleaning the boards. Most offices have this available, as the boards need to be cleaned periodically to remove the actual dry erase marker.

September 22, 2010 Flag

I accidentally used a marker on my dry erase board, and am not able to erase it with the dry erase spray. It is faded but still visible to the eye, and I would hate to have to throw the huge board away. Any ideas on how to get this off? It would be very appreciated.

Sherry from Staten Island, NY

Answers:

Removing Marker from White Board

My secret cleaner is naphtha, sold as lighter fluid. Extremely flammable of course. It's oily, use a gentle cleaner afterward. Did the trick for my white board. (10/18/2008)

By Jill in Maryland

Removing Unerasable Markers from a Dry Erase Board

I know I accidentally did the same thing at work, and all we had at the time was Windex and Goo Gone. Not sure which one I used or possibly even both. It took some scrubbing, but I got it off. (10/18/2008)

By kghsave

toothpaste

My high school teacher wrote with permanent ink by accident on the white board. We were in a visiting classroom. She took toothpaste and the grit in it scrubbed the letters off. (10/19/2008)

By Lori

I have used Goo Gone to successfully remove permanent marker. (10/20/2008)

By kladybug

For general care I use baby wipes or vinegar. When I have a harder problem I use vinegar and the magic eraser. Magic eraser if great stuff. I use it after I labeled my food container with permanent ink. (10/20/2008)

By SunshineRose

I have used WD40 to successfully remove permanent marker. (10/20/2008)

By BABBIE

At our school we had a special spray that was used to clean the board, and that took it off. I expect that this would be available at Staples or some place like that. I don't remember the name of the product. (10/20/2008)

By louel53

I have used waterless hand cleaner to easily and successfuly remove permanent marker from 2 different white boards. Toothpast and SOS may remove the marker, but they will certainly rough up the white board and make it harder to get clean in the future. (10/20/2008)

By teachpad

This is going to sound rather crazy but it works. A teacher at school had a student to write in permanent marker on his dry erase board. He simply picked up a DRY ERASE MARKER and wrote over line over line all that had been written on the board. That's dry erase over permanent. Then he erased it and ALL was gone. It takes off everything and you have a clean board. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I just went and tried it on my board to make sure I was remembering correctly. It works! (10/21/2008)

By Connie H.

WD40 worked for me. Just spray the board then wipe with a clean, dry, soft cloth. (10/21/2008)

By granny94

I have tried a lot of things to completely clean my dry erase board, but the thing that works best for me is lacquer thinner. The product can be purchased at a paint or hardware store. Simply apply a small amount of the lacquer thinner to a soft cloth an wipe the board. Turn the cloth as it becomes dirty an apply additional lacquer thinner as needed. When the board is clean applying a coat of liquid car wax might help in maintaining your board. (10/31/2008)

By Bill at Batesville, AR

Try coloring over the unerasable marks with an erasable marker, an old one that barely writes will work. Color over all the marks, then erase. It has worked for me with sharpie marks. (11/01/2008)

By JoAnn

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get the marker off by simply going over it with the dry erase marker. Nice trick. Thanks for the info. (01/08/2009)

By NewNotes Recording

I have used De-Solve It to remove sharpie from whiteboards and plastic with great success. you need to let it work for a few minutes before wiping it off with a paper towel (I use windex to cut the oily remover), good results! (04/12/2010)

By mmhanson

I took it off with baking soda and water mixture. (05/08/2010)

By Goldie2

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2010 Flag

If your dry-erase board was "gratified" by a permanent marker, use a dry-erase marker to color over it. It will erase it like magic.

Source: Google

By Dawn O. from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Cleaning Permanent Ink Off A Dry Erase Board

This morning I was erasing an appointment from our dry-erase board, and I realized I'd written part of it with a permanent marker. I got it off using hand sanitizer; the alcohol is what works. (09/21/2009)

By PIKKA

Cleaning Permanent Ink Off a Dry Erase Board

Crayola, dry erase on top did not work. Mr Clean Erasers didn't work. Read through all the other tips and looked around what I had in my desk at school and I tried white toothpaste (our hand sanitizer at school is alcohol free argh). With a lot of elbow grease it worked pretty good. I'm concerned about the finish now so I might also follow the post that said wipe on some baby oil before using again. (BTW this was thanks to my son who hangs out in my classroom after school and the student who left a crayola marker on my white board ledge....argh) (10/14/2009)

By CanadaSue

Brasso! (11/06/2009)

By Snykal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2009 Flag

We have permanent marker on our dry erase board! We have tried board cleaner and alcohol, but the shadow remains. Any suggestions?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 18, 2016
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
Dry Erase Board
Reconditioning a Dry Erase Board
A dry erase board and markers.
Cleaning a Dry Erase Board
🎉
🎄