Can I plant Wisteria pods? - Categories:

SeedsGardening

Can I plant Wisteria pods?

I've just picked a few light green seed pods from a wisteria tree. Can I plant the seeds? Will I need to dry them first? And when is the best time to plant them?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Felix from Garden City, MI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Put the pod in a small paper bag and wait for it to dry out. It will pop open and then you can plant the seeds that are in it. I did this a couple of years ago and I have a Wisteria about 3 feet high now!

First off, Wisteria pods/seeds are poisonous, so keep away from kids and pets.

Yes, you can grow the plants from seed but it may take 15 years before they bloom.

July 21, 2010 Flag

My Uncle gave me a green wisteria seed pod and I want to grow some plants from it. What do I need to do to get the seeds to grow?

By sarahw1983 from Lakebay

Answers:

Can I plant Wisteria pods?

I haven't tried planting wisteria, but my dad used to grow one. I do know that if the pod is green, it was picked too early, as they are brown when they're done. I would probably take the seeds out of the pods. To get garden seeds to sprout, you have to mimic spring, wet and often in good soil. (07/24/2009)

By Davidicdancer

July 23, 2009 Flag
By Ellen Brown

Question:

Can I plant wisteria pods or should it just be the seeds?

Pat from Justin, TX

Answer:

Pat, you can just plant the seeds. Nick the seeds just slightly and soak them overnight before planting them. Wisteria like full sun (at least 6 hour a day) and nutrient-rich well-drained soil that is slightly acidic (pH 6.0-7.0). Sow seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before expected transplant date or directly into the ground after danger of frost has past. Seeds should be planted approximately 1/2 inch deep and because seedlings grow quickly, they should be provided with climbing supports pretty early on. Seeds may take as long as 30 to 60 days to germinate. Wisteria remains in a juvenile state for a long time before reaching maturity. Be prepared to wait as long as 10-15 years or longer before you see any flowers.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. <a href="post_request.ldml?email_subject=Gardening">Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJuly 21, 2010
cup of coffee
Homemade Coffee Pods
bittersweet
Bittersweet Not Blooming
Wisteria
Growing Wisteria
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 7:54:16 AM on 10.0.2.116 in 979 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.