I am looking for a recipe for Mushroom Stew. I remember it had a red gravy and some type of pork perhaps. It was also a little spicy. I enjoyed it at the TP Drive-In in Herkimer, NY years ago. Please help, thanks.
By Barb from Mountaindale, NY
Go to Mushroom Stew Recipe plenty recipes there, good luck.
Try posting this request at http://www.hungrybrowser.com also known as "Ask Uncle Phaedrus." He specializes in finding old recipes or recipes from specific establishments. It might be worth a try!
Hope you find it. I know how much I sometimes hunger for things I had years before. Never had or heard of mushroom stew, though.
Found this at ;
Gomba Porkolt / Pork and Mushroom Stew
this dish is a traditional dinner for Hungarians, it is full of flavor and is very comforting, my family enjoys this very much served with smashed potatoes and cucumber salad.
* 1-2 lbs pork steaks, cut in cubes and trim the fat
* 2 med. onions chopped
* 4 T of oil
* 2 tsp paprika
* 3 cloves garlic pressed
* salt to taste
* pepper to taste
* water as needed
* sour cream
* fresh mushrooms halved or quartered.
1. In frying pan, saute onions in oil til transparent,
2. Add paprika and mix together
3. Add cubes of meat to lightly brown and stir well to not burn
4. Add water so that it just covers the meat
5. Add pressed garlic and salt and pepper to taste, mix well and often during cooking
6. Cook on low with cover for about 1+1/2 to 2 hours til meat is tender
7. Once done add sour cream and mix well.
8. Serve with mashed potatoes and cucumber salad.
This recipe sounds like I'll try it tomorrow night.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!