Browsing: Cleaning Sour Milk Smell in a Car

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Sour Milk Smell in a Car

When milk is accidentally spilt in the car, it can make for a persistent odor. This guide is about cleaning sour milk smell in a car.

A car seat in a car.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 8, 2010 Flag

How do I remove odor from milk spilled on car floor mats?

By Lori

Best Answer

After spilling milk in my car, I had a terrible time removing the odor, even after several attempts with carpet cleaning and Febreze. The only thing that worked was a cleaner I purchased at a vacuum cleaner store. The carpet cleaner contained enzymes to neutralize odors. I thoroughly sprayed the entire area, waited a day or two and then shampooed the carpeting. No odors at all!

Best Answer

My toddler spilled his milk in the car and it left a terrible smell. I tried Natures Miracle (enzyme cleaner) and Febreze which didn't work. The only thing that worked was wet vac, then a baking soda and vinegar paste left overnight with the windows cracked open, then wet vac again in the morning, then baking soda and wet vac one more time. No smell, thankfully!

January 8, 2011 Flag

My grandchild spilled milk a couple of months ago in my husband's truck. Is there any way to totally remove the smell? He thinks he needs to get a new truck!

By FBell from Atlanta, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

First you have to be sure all the milk is cleaned from the carpet/upholstery. You can rent a steam cleaner at the grocery store if you don' t have one, or cannot borrow one. (Or, you could take the truck for a detailing.) You may need to go over it twice!

Once you know that the source of the odor is gone, you can deal with the residual odor with any of the methods people have mentioned in other posts. My personal favorite is coffee grounds, but kitty litter, baking soda, citrus, enzymatic (pet odor) eliminators, or the like caan work. Close up the truck, put the odor absorber/eliminator inside, and let it sit for a day or two.

Good luck!

I am sure by now you have scrubbed and cleaned the best you can. With everything you can think of, but use the cheapest shaving cream you can find. Yeap, you heard me correctly - shaving cream. Scrub it into the carpet really good with a clean cloth. DO NOT wet the carpet first.

Just put the shaving cream on the carpet, and start scrubbing. Then after a few minutes of scrubbing, walk away for a little while. Let it dry for a little while. Vacuum, then sprinkle the area with baking soda. Let that sit for a while, and then vacuum that up. The longer the baking soda sits, the better. It really soaks up all that odor really well, as does the shaving cream. Shaving cream is great on so many stains on carpet in your home also. I did this when my grandson threw up in our truck, and it worked really well.

Shirley

September 28, 2013 Flag

A car seat in a car.When milk is accidentally spilt in the car, it can make for a persistent odor. This guide is about cleaning sour milk smell in a car.

August 2, 2014 Flag

I left milk in car for 2 days. It smells awful, how do I get this smell out of car?

By denisevmason

Put an unpeeled banana under driver's seat and leave it for a week. Or put some unused coffee grounds in a bowl under the driver's seat. The fresh unused coffee is also great to keep odors out of the fridge and freezer.

Get 7up and pour it all over The affected area let it dry then vacuum up

January 19, 2013 Flag

A faulty gallon milk jug leaked a whole jug into the car's carpet. I have been trying to clean it since the leak occurred over a month ago. It still smells really bad, like something "died".

By LaRinda

Purchase some of the charcoal they use in fish tank filters and sprinkle that in the area where the milk was spilled and leave it for a few days. It will absorb the odor. I have done this and it does work. If you can't find the charcoal, just wad up some old newpapers (not the colored ads) and put them on top of the area and after a few days the smell should be gone as well. If using the newpapers you might want to weigh them down with something heavy.

The problem may be that it has soaked through to the padding and the floor underneath. Putting something on top will not always take care of the problem. My suggestion would be to make a solution of baking soda and water, thin enough to penetrate the carpet and padding. Then put a fan facing the spot and allow to dry completely. Vacuum the spot thoroughly when dry. It may take a couple of applications, but this should work.

June 23, 2013 Flag

A photo of a car.If some food gets forgotten or spilled in a car, it can leave behind a disgusting smell. This guide is about removing rotten food odors from a car.

March 7, 2011 Flag

My wife bought a gallon of milk which spilled in the car on the carpet in the passenger seat. What should I do to prevent the milk smell from coming up? oded

January 8, 2011 Flag

How do I get soured milk out of the carpet in a car? We left a gallon of milk in a back of a SUV for 3 weeks and it turned green and exploded in the back of the car. How do I get the smell out?

By Rex

Answers:

Cleaning Sour Milk Smell In Car

Oranges. Get several, cut them up, and leave them in the car. In addition to absorbing bad odors, they also leave a fresh citrus scent. I hope this helps! (12/01/2010)

By WildIrish

Cleaning Sour Milk Smell In Car

My parents once left a chicken in a small fridge and the power went out. Rotten chicken stink! They tried everything. Finally, someone said put some vanilla on some cotton balls and leave them in there for a while. It worked! It didn't smell like vanilla, but didn't stink anymore. I've used "fake" vanilla (stuff you spray on your carpets) and it worked, too. It might take a few applications since it's so strong. I've sprayed it on urine smell and it got rid of that, too, when my old method of white vinegar wouldn't do it. (12/02/2010)

By mrsschmeckman

Cleaning Sour Milk Smell In Car

I use and like a product called BAC-OUT Stain and Odor Eliminator made by Biokleen. It is "natural", "non-toxic", "biodegradable". It uses "live enzyme cultures and lime peel extract". I highly recommend it. I use it to remove dog messes on carpet and it really works. I bought it online. Do a search online for it. One place you can find it is organicpharmacy.org

"Bac-Out is an excellent product for the toughest stains and odors in your laundry. Attacks proteins left behind from food stains and odors, including mildew, and eliminates the most difficult, organic stains, odors and waste the way nature intended. Bac-Out is a very unique blend of natural living enzyme cultures and botanical extracts, with more strains of cultures for more effective performance than commercial brands. Coffee, berry, blood, mustard, tomato, and many other difficult stains and odors are no match for Bac-Out. Preferred by more natural baby catalogs selling cloth diapers. Gentle on babies' skin, tough on stains and odors. Great for diaper pails too!"

I really do use it and am never without it. I also use it in my deep cleaning machine. (12/05/2010)

By OhioGirl

December 1, 2010 Flag

After endless hours and many different methods, I think I finally got the soured milk out of my car seats with white vinegar and lemon juice mixed together and sprayed on the area where the milk was spilled. The milk got under the back seat, in the foam under the seat, on seat belt straps, etc. It was awful especially in the almost 100 degree weather. I also removed the seat, of course, and let it air out, used a wet dry vacuum on it, sprinkled baking soda on it, and left it over night. The smell seems to be gone. You'll need to ride with the windows down to help tone down the vinegar/lemon juice smell for a bit.

By coensmimi from Bryant, AL

August 2, 2010 Flag

A large amount of milk spilled on my carpet in my car. It now stinks. How can I get rid of the odor?

January 12, 2010 Flag

How can I get sour milk smell out of my car?

June 30, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

February 14, 2007 Flag

September 15, 2006 Flag
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoSeptember 28, 2013
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
spilled milk on carpet
Removing Milk Odors on Carpet
Bed Sheets hanging on a line.
Getting Rid of Sour Smell in Bedding
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 29, 2016 at 8:09:13 PM on 10.0.1.127 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.