Diatomaceous Earth For Eliminating Fleas

I have 2 Huskies. I sprinkle diatomaceous earth on their food every day and the result is no fleas and no scratching. Each gets about 1 tablespoon depending on dog's weight.

It has to be FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth, not the stuff with the chemicals (pool grade). You can get this at a feed store, cheap stuff compared to other methods of flea control. I had a bout of fleas a few years ago, horrible. I sprinkled the whole house with borax powder. It took about a week, but there were no more fleas, great stuff!

By Shirl

Thank you for posting this. I had been researching the diatomaceous earth and found it's great qualities. it can be used for other things than fleas also. I ordered some online and use it on my 3 cats, sprinkle it on my floors and put some in their food to eliminate the fleas, and like you say, it has to be the food quality. I bought a container for a little less than 15.00 and it goes a long way, and it's safe for both the animals and me. I put it in a flower sifter to spread it.

I've been preaching about our pets and other animals and using food grade diatomaceous earth to control not only fleas, but all internal parasites as well. My throat is sore. I hope other folks will take up the cause and lets get everyone using it.

I don't know why the vets aren't telling people about it. Actually, as far as I know right now, it's the only thing that does work, and never hurts the animal. We gave it to our horses as well. Just sprinkling it on their food every day. It's really great stuff.

I can tell you why vets don't recommend solutions that are low cost or natural is because it interferes with their profits.

Food grade diatomaceous earth is so much easier and better than commercial flea powders which involve excess dustiness that frightens the pet before anything else. The food grade DE is actually beneficial in the event a cat licks it off and ingests it.

I take care of a feral cat colony, and I sprinkle the d.earth in their bedding to keep fleas off of the cats. I also sprinkle it on my grass where my dogs like to lay, and on their bedding. It is great. I had a grasshopper problem in my vegetable garden, d.earth took care of it too. I sprinkle some at the edge of my doors to keep ants from coming in as well. Love the d.earth.

I was told by my vet to never put this on an animal or in what they eat because it will shred their insides.

A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 21, 2010
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Buying Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Uses for Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Eliminating Food Waste
Eliminating Food Waste at Home
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding