Using Honey to Root Cuttings

Category Rooting
Honey is a great natural alternative to chemical rooting based rooting hormones. This is a guide about using honey to root cuttings.

Use honey as a rooting hormone. Prepare cuttings and dip ends of the cuttings in honey.

By tip-tip from St. Louis, MO

Hi. Thanks for the tip. Home made rooting hormone compounds come in handy. I've heard of putting willow branches cut into 1'' lengths and put in a jar of water. After about a week take out the branches and the liquid is supposed to be the compound. I wonder if it would work with any fast rooting plant? I have a scrub tree in my back yard. All I have to do is nick one of the roots and it sends up shoots like crazy.

Phil

I recently saw a gardener using honey as a propagating hormone. Was the honey raw honey or will processed honey also work?

By Jackie P.

As far as I know honey doesn't have any hormones in it that plants would use for growing roots. However, I could be very wrong about that! Honey is a really good anti-bacterial agent, which would help to keep diseases out of the plant's wound opening while it grows roots of its own accord. I haven't tried using honey on cuttings but I'm certainly going to give it a shot!