Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

Floor wax and some floor cleaning products leave a waxy residue on laminate flooring. This is a guide about removing wax from laminate flooring.

March 24, 2010 Flag

I recently made the mistake of using a spray wax on my laminate floor. I also used a pad that looks like sheep's wool. After the floor dried it left fiber streak marks from the pad and now I have a floor with streaks marks that won't come off. How do I remove the wax from the laminate floor without ruining the finish?

Javier

By Javier from Spring Hill, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just spent a week trying different methods for removing the buildup on my floors. I tried the vinegar, ammonia, and mineral spirits.routines to no avail. But what did work was zep floor stripper from home depot, a plastic scraper, a rag, and a sponge. I added a little more than the recommended amount in a bucket with water, and had another bucket of fresh water with a large, clean sponge. Wear gloves and dip the rag in the zep mixture, spread it in a small area, about 4x4. Let sit for a few minutes and use the plastic scraper, going with the grain of the laminate to scrape up the residue. Then use the sponge to wipe away the excess, squeeze it out and rinse the area twice with the water. I also used a fresh mop after finishing each room. The floors look great again. So don't give up hope.

This is the BEST and ONLY solution to removing wax build up from laminate flooring! I tried so many different solutions that I found and after wasting energy and money I'm so glad I came across your method to sanity before spending lots of money on new flooring. I can't thank you enough Kittu. ZEP floor stripper did the job quick and easy. THANK YOU!!!

Heavy duty floor stripper made by ZEP says not to use on wood but doesn't specify laminate. Did you use it on your laminate?

Our dark laminate flooring has a waxy coating of floor finish on it that leaves it sticky and hazy. Would you suggest using ZEP to clean it? I have never tried the product. I have tried many things and nothing works!

January 1, 2007 Flag

How do I get candle wax off of laminate floor?

Haggitha from Whitecourt

Hello, the only thing i can think of at the moment is to fill a Ziploc bag with some ice and place over the wax. Wait a while for it to harden then carefully see if it will peel off with your fingernail.

I'll have a proper think to see if i can come up with anything better.

Good luck, Monique xx

I would take a putty knife (best if it was plastic) and scrape it off. That should bring up most of it. Getting it cold with ice cubes in a plastic bag is also a good idea so that it all comes up together.

I don't know if this will work on laminate floors, but I do know it will remove candle wax from carpets and wooden furniture.

Take a plain, brown paper bag - the kind with no lettering or printing on it. You can get this kind of brown paper that is used for wrapping packages at any mailing store or Walmart, Walgreens, Target, etc.

Cover the paper over the candle wax. I'd experiment and see if you need a few layers of paper.

Take a warm iron and gentle move it over the waxed spot.

You will see the wax melting and being absorbed into the brown paper and being absorbed off of the carpet (or wood).

Continue replacing the brown paper over the wax spot until it is removed.

It's important not to let the iron get too warm because you don't want to singe or melt the carpet.

It's also important to keep the iron moving.

Again, I know this works for carpets and wood, but I hope you get lucky with your flooring!

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 3, 2013
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
🎉
🎄