Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

Floor wax and some floor cleaning products leave a waxy residue on laminate flooring. This is a guide about removing wax from laminate flooring.

Man Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 17, 2016 Flag

I have a light color laminate floor that I used the store bought waxes on. I did not know that I should have not used those products. Now I have a brown color film on it and I need to know of a way to remove it. Any suggestion that will help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 24, 2010 Flag

I recently made the mistake of using a spray wax on my laminate floor. I also used a pad that looks like sheep's wool. After the floor dried it left fiber streak marks from the pad and now I have a floor with streaks marks that won't come off. How do I remove the wax from the laminate floor without ruining the finish?

Javier

By Javier from Spring Hill, TN

I just spent a week trying different methods for removing the buildup on my floors. I tried the vinegar, ammonia, and mineral spirits.routines to no avail. But what did work was zep floor stripper from home depot, a plastic scraper, a rag, and a sponge. I added a little more than the recommended amount in a bucket with water, and had another bucket of fresh water with a large, clean sponge. Wear gloves and dip the rag in the zep mixture, spread it in a small area, about 4x4. Let sit for a few minutes and use the plastic scraper, going with the grain of the laminate to scrape up the residue. Then use the sponge to wipe away the excess, squeeze it out and rinse the area twice with the water. I also used a fresh mop after finishing each room. The floors look great again. So don't give up hope.

January 1, 2007 Flag

How do I get candle wax off of laminate floor?

Haggitha from Whitecourt

Hello, the only thing i can think of at the moment is to fill a Ziploc bag with some ice and place over the wax. Wait a while for it to harden then carefully see if it will peel off with your fingernail.

I'll have a proper think to see if i can come up with anything better.

Good luck, Monique xx

I would take a putty knife (best if it was plastic) and scrape it off. That should bring up most of it. Getting it cold with ice cubes in a plastic bag is also a good idea so that it all comes up together.

I don't know if this will work on laminate floors, but I do know it will remove candle wax from carpets and wooden furniture.

Take a plain, brown paper bag - the kind with no lettering or printing on it. You can get this kind of brown paper that is used for wrapping packages at any mailing store or Walmart, Walgreens, Target, etc.

Cover the paper over the candle wax. I'd experiment and see if you need a few layers of paper.

Take a warm iron and gentle move it over the waxed spot.

You will see the wax melting and being absorbed into the brown paper and being absorbed off of the carpet (or wood).

Continue replacing the brown paper over the wax spot until it is removed.

It's important not to let the iron get too warm because you don't want to singe or melt the carpet.

It's also important to keep the iron moving.

Again, I know this works for carpets and wood, but I hope you get lucky with your flooring!

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 3, 2013
    Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
    Painting Laminate Flooring
    Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
    Cleaning Laminate Flooring
    Installing Laminate Flooring
    Installing Laminate Flooring
    laminate wood flooring
    White Marks on Laminate Flooring
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 6:10:52 PM on 10.0.0.214 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.