When Can I Buy Corned Beef?

When is corned beef coming back to stores?

By Emma from Lebanon, PA

You can buy canned corned beef at any grocery store - one by that carries canned tuna, chicken, beef and such. Our Food Lion carries canned corned beef here by Bunker Hill.

I have also gone and bought thickly sliced corned beef from their deli department brought it home and heated it up in the micro-wave with some cooked cabbage...yum, yum

I would prefer to buy fairly fresh cooked corned beef from the deli section or meat section to cook myself but almost all markets sell it cooked and canned.

They always have it right before St. Patrick's Day! Oh, now I'm wanting some!

St. Patrick's day is on March 17, corned beef goes on sale just before, so watch the store adds for sale prices.

May 10, 2011 Flag

When are companies going to start putting corned beef back in the grocery store? My family loves it an we can't find it anywhere. We eat it with cabbage and cannot find it anywhere.

By Carol

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What state do you live in? I live in Mass. & have no problem finding corn beef. Maybe you could go online & contact a place that distributes corn beef & ask where the nearest place to you that it is offered. Good luck as I can not imagine my life without an occasional corned beed.

You can also make it yourself; here's my grama's recipe ;-)

Homemade Corned Beef

1 (7 - 9 lb.) fresh beef brisket

10 cups water

1 1/2 cups kosher salt

1 cup sugar

2 Tbsp. dry mustard

3 Tbsp. pickling spices

1 Tbsp. minced garlic

Combine water, salt, sugar, mustard, spices and garlic in an 8 quart stainless steel (because it's nonreactive) stock pot, bring to a boil over high heat, remove from heat and set aside to cool.

When liquids have cooled, trim the corned beef of excess fat and put the excess fat into the liquid. Add more cold water to cover the beef if needed. Cover the pan and refrigerate for 3 to 6 days in the refrigerator, turning every twelve hours.

When ready to cook the beef, remove it from the brine and rinse well with cold water. Place back in the washed pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.

Once at a boil skim off any scum that develops on the surface, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until tender, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

I live in Indiana and Super Walmart and Sav-a-lot carry canned corned beef.

I live in Tulsa & I noticed I wasn't seeing canned corned beef in the stores for awhile. I'm seeing it now, but it's limited & expensive.

Consumer Advice Product FinderFebruary 11, 2011
Corned Beef Salad
Corned Beef Salad Recipes
Platter of corned beef and cabbage.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipes
Canned Corned Beef
Recipes Using Canned Corned Beef
Homemade Corned Beef
Homemade Corned Beef Recipes