Where Can I Buy Corned Beef?

When are companies going to start putting corned beef back in the grocery store? My family loves it an we can't find it anywhere. We eat it with cabbage and cannot find it anywhere.

By Carol

What state do you live in? I live in Mass. & have no problem finding corn beef. Maybe you could go online & contact a place that distributes corn beef & ask where the nearest place to you that it is offered. Good luck as I can not imagine my life without an occasional corned beed.

Anonymous

You can also make it yourself; here's my grama's recipe ;-)

Homemade Corned Beef

1 (7 - 9 lb.) fresh beef brisket

10 cups water

1 1/2 cups kosher salt

1 cup sugar

2 Tbsp. dry mustard

3 Tbsp. pickling spices

1 Tbsp. minced garlic

Directions:

Combine water, salt, sugar, mustard, spices and garlic in an 8 quart stainless steel (because it's nonreactive) stock pot, bring to a boil over high heat, remove from heat and set aside to cool.

When liquids have cooled, trim the corned beef of excess fat and put the excess fat into the liquid. Add more cold water to cover the beef if needed. Cover the pan and refrigerate for 3 to 6 days in the refrigerator, turning every twelve hours.

When ready to cook the beef, remove it from the brine and rinse well with cold water. Place back in the washed pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.

Once at a boil skim off any scum that develops on the surface, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until tender, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

I live in Indiana and Super Walmart and Sav-a-lot carry canned corned beef.

I live in Tulsa & I noticed I wasn't seeing canned corned beef in the stores for awhile. I'm seeing it now, but it's limited & expensive.

Ask the manager of your grocery store why they no longer carry it, and if they would order some in. If you do not ask, they may not realize that there is anyone who wants it. I have had great success with requests at my local Co-op store.