Nearly Homemade Pickles

Nearly free, nearly homemade pickles. My wonderful mother-in-law, Lavon, gave me two cucumbers from her garden. Forgetting these were not genetically mutated supermarket cucumbers, I put them in the crisper drawer and forgot about them for a couple days. When I went to slice them up for lunch, I saw that they were getting a little soft. I didn't want them to go to waste, so I made nearly free pickles.

I always save pickle juice when the pickles are gone. You can pickle many vegetables in this leftover liquid - carrots, onions, cauliflower, zucchini, hot peppers, etc. Just slice or cut the veggies into bite sized pieces and put them in the pickle jar. Shake the jar a couple times a day to make sure the veggies get pickled evenly. After three or four days, eat and enjoy.

I figure that the liquid constitutes about 1/4 of the price of the jar of pickles. My Aldi pickles were $0.99. So, 25 cents for the liquid and the cucumbers were free. You can make these pickles look more homemade by tossing in a few pinches of dill weed, parsley, marjoram, dried onion, etc. Put a little square or round piece of fabric over the jar lid, tie with a ribbon and you have a nice gift.

This idea not only reuses the pickle juice that most people would throw away, but it also reuses the glass jar. When the homemade pickles are gone, I thoroughly clean the glass jar and use it to freeze soups, broth, vegetables or tomato sauce.

By Samaree from South Bend, IN

Great ideas. Thanks

We'll try it.

thanks for the post!

Hi, sounds great, also hard boiled eggs left in the pickle juice for a few days are really good. Thanks!

That is a great idea!

Thanks for more ideas! I buy pickles sweetened with Splenda, save the juice, and pour a can of drained beets (your favorite kind, sliced, whole baby beets, or chunks) and I have an expensive jar of beet pickles! I recycle that when it is empty by adding more juice to that same jar and another can of beets. I just kinda keep it going and sometimes add a little white vinegar and Sweet and Low to fill it up again.