Old Fashioned Pot Roast

I love this because you can use the cheapest cut of beef, and it will become tender and delicious without much effort. It makes an absolutely delicious gravy, which I think is almost better than the roast!

• 1 thick, 3 - 4 lb. chuck roast, or whatever is cheap and on sale
  • 6 or so onions, sliced thin
  • 1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup wine (optional)
  • 2 cups sliced mushrooms, whatever kind are cheap or you prefer
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Dry the roast off. Heat a skillet or dutch oven large enough to accommodate it over medium high heat. Add a little oil to the pan, and then the roast. Your pan should be nice and hot - the roast will brown faster without sticking. When you put the roast in, wait 1 minute before moving it at all. Check often after this, and when it is deeply browned, turn and follow the same procedure. When the second side is nice and brown, remove the roast to a platter and cover, and turn the heat down a little.

Add the onions - the more the better - to your pan. A little garlic is good, too. Saute them on medium heat until they are just barely starting to brown. Add the Worcestershire sauce and wine to deglaze the pan (for a dish like this, I don't think red or white matters, and you can leave the wine out altogether if you don't have it or want it).

Pour the drippings into the bottom of you crock pot. Put your roast on top, and scatter the mushrooms over the roast. Season with pepper (I don't add salt until it's done) and, if you like, some herbs. Pour the soup, undiluted, over top, spreading it over the whole thing. Put the lid on, and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, depending on your cut of meat.

To make gravy, put the roast on a platter and cover to keep it hot. Turn the heat to high in the crock pot, and get the onion and mushroom gravy bubbly. Adjust the seasonings. If the gravy is a little thin, I thicken it with cornstarch.

This is really good with mashed potatoes or noodles. The mushroom-onion gravy is out of this world!

Servings: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 - 8 Hours

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

You are making me hungry. I'll bring the hot biscuits.

Thank you for sharing your recipe for one of our favorite meals.

Pookarina

This will make a great after-church Sunday meal, even if I have to warm it up and cook rice. My bunch are meat eaters and if I add carrots to the crockpot, they'll eat them cooked this way.

Thumbs Up.

Lee

Pot roast with potatoes and carrots.
Pot Roast Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats Beef RoastMay 24, 2011
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Roast Duck
Roast Duck Recipes
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 11:06:48 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.