Work Night Pressure Cooker Pot Roast

contest winner icon

How about Pot Roast in under 90 minutes starting with a FROZEN pot roast? With only about 15 minutes of prep time? So tender it falls apart.

Defrost roast in microwave following microwave manufacturer's instructions 30-40 minutes. Take a moment to relax and put your feet up until the microwave beeps.

Get out that pressure cooker or canner, brown roast in a little oil and garlic powder to taste.

Throw in 2 packets of gravy mix - it doesn't matter what kind. We have used country, brown, chicken, mushroom - it all turns out great. Mix and match. Add water per the package instructions plus one extra cup.

Put on the lid and bring cooker up to 15 lb. pressure and cook about 35-45 minutes (depending on size of roast.) You can also throw in whatever vegetables you would like. I usually just cook them separately in the microwave at the end.

When it's done, grab your lunch leftovers quick because there won't be any. You will have enough gravy for potatoes.

My whole family loves this! The best part is that you don't need to use the expensive roasts. I have used anything and everything from "special trimmings" (flank pieces) to chuck roast. It all turns out moist and tender.

Learn how to use a pressure cooker, they are easy and safe when you follow the instructions. Everyone have heard the horror stories but for the last several decades the cookers have built-in safety valves to keep them from "exploding". I purchased both of mine (one new and unused!) at yard sales. We make chili, stew and the family favorite - Pot Roast.

Source: This was cobbled together from several sources, mostly from after work "what can I cook for dinner" desperation.

By Christine from Spokane, WA

Hi, Christine, It,s great to hear about someone else who uses a pressure cooker. I use mine all the time. I make stews, soups and have even made rice pudding. This year I also made pickles and chutneys in half the time it takes using the conventional method. Regards Jan UK

Yum! I am going to try this. I inherited a PC from a friend and I swear by it now. Our family's favorite recipe so far is making spare ribs. I brown country pork spare ribs, throw in garlic, big onion slices, a bottle of beer, about two cups of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (no measuring involved...except the 12 oz of beer!) and let it cook. It falls off the bones and is so delicious. I look forward to trying your recipe, too! Thank you for posting it!

How big is the roast and what temperature.?