Browsing: Cleaning Tape Off Windows

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Tape Off Windows

Tape can some times be difficult to easily remove from windows, particularly if it has been left on windows for a long time. This is a guide about cleaning tape off windows.

Tape on windows.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 3, 2005 Flag

I just got new windows installed in my house. They have left plastic stickers and small plastic bags glued to the windows. I have tried the antibacterial lotion but it didn't work. This is really strong adhesive. Please help. My beautiful windows look horrible with these plastic bags glued to them.

Molly

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have found that WD-40 sprayed on the stickey residue works great....spray, let it penetrate, then rub off with a clean, dry cloth

Best Answer

We had the same thing with our new windows. We pealed off as much of the sticker as we could and then drenched what was left with WD-40, let it sit for a while and then use the side of a credit card to scrape the residue off. Repeat if necessary. Then wipe off as much of the WD-40 as you can with a paper towel and wash the window as usual. Works great.

Best Answer

I tried a few of the above last night to no avail, then I rang the window manufacturers (in this case Velux) and they said hot soapy water! I nearly laughed at them, but guess what? It worked! It was like the heat or soap changed the consistency of the glue from hard and unmovable to stretchy and with very little effort was removed.

Loobs

Read More Answers...

January 12, 2014 Flag

I have a pop-up camper and the interior curtains, which have a rubber type material on the back, have "melted" to the plastic windows. When we peeled them off it left a sticky white residue. Any suggestions on how to get it off? It looks like the residue that duct tape would leave behind.

By Todd D.

Best Answer

If the windows are plastic, using a product like Goof Off or Goo Gone will melt the window and just make it worse. Try using a little isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps soften the residue. A good sturdy razor blade and a steady hand may be your best bet at that point. Using the razor blade and the alcohol together can be effective.

I have just managed to remove duct tape glue by first wiping with a brillo pad, leaving for 1 minute then scrubbing with a wire pad soaked in jif - worked really well :-)

September 10, 2011 Flag

When we heard about the hurricane, we taped our windows in an x pattern with masking tape. We realized we should have used painters tape, but didn't have any. When we took the tape off, a sticky residue was left. What can we use to take off the stickiness and have clean windows again?

By Pat

I was gonna say Goo B Gone but noticed someone else posted it. You could also try using a safety razor blade in a holder. I also wanted to add, I live in South Florida so I am used to getting ready for hurricanes. Tape on windows does nothing as far as protection goes. Anything hitting the window will cause it to still break and/or shatter. You're better off buying plywood to fit over the window and fastening it to the house or buying hurricane shutters from places like Lowes or Home Depot but these are more expensive than plywood. Oh, I just remembered, they now make a window film (something like tinting) that is suppose to help with hurricane protection.

I have used alcohol before and it worked fine. Or you can buy goo gone at Walmart.

I have tape residue on my balcony window from the winter. I tried one of the hints with white vinegar and it really works. :o) It sure made my day. Thank You for the hint. Buttons

Read More Answers...

March 1, 2011 Flag

I taped windows up for Cyclone Yasi. Now I am confronted with the sticky layer from masking tape over the glass. I tried metho and eucalyptus oil. Do you have any suggestions, please?

By M

If the residue is dried hard from the heat or sun, use a razor blade at about a 45 degree angle to the glass and you'll find it scrapes off easily. If it is still gooey then, like the other posters said, use Goo Gone. It's amazing stuff. Make sure it is "Goo Gone" though and not "Goo Off" - it doesn't work nearly as well.

Mineral spirits! I just tried lots of different stuff to clean my windows and my husband handed me a can of Mineral spirits. Whew, so much easier...

Totally used Nail Polish Remover for the same problem you're trying to find an answer for, worked GREAT, and the tape residue was there for about 2 years! <3

Tia, Pasadena, CA

(1/3/2013)

Read More Answers...

June 11, 2011 Flag

I used masking tape to frame up a window and I left it there too long. The tape has now dried up and is hard to remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Frank M.

Ditto with carefully using a razor blade. A single edged blade would be the safest. You can purchase them at any hardware, home improvement and even beauty supply stores.

Try heating it up with a blow dryer if all else fails.

Soften adhesive with cheap mineral spirits and scrape with razor blade. Easy as A-B-C.

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2010 Flag

Have you ever had unwanted tape left over on windows and glass surfaces? Spread a thin portion of smooth peanut butter on the taped area. Wait 2-3 hours and use a putty blade or any any flat somewhat sharp tool. Gently scrape at the area and see the magic of it sliding right off. Then clean window with a vinegar and water solution and paper towels. Voila! You are tape free.

By Javamom77 from Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Great idea! Beats trying to scrape it off.

To keep that from happening again, try to get the tape off before the sun hits the glass. It will come off much easier. I grew up in the South, and at that time, part of preparing for hurricanes was to tape the windows.

Wipe it with rubbing alcohol then use a razor blade scraper to get it off. I do this to remove price stickers from pictures and mirrors. It works great!

September 30, 2013 Flag

I tried fingernail polish remover and it worked super easy and fast.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 8, 2014 Flag

Use white vinegar to remove residue left by masking tape on window glass where the tape has been left on for too long or has dried out quickly due to strong sunshine. Wipe over residue with well dampened soft cloth a couple of times, leave for sixty seconds or so then rub off residue using a fresh piece of your already dampened cloth. Dry and polish with a clean cloth.

Worked for me on residue which had stubbornly resisted earlier attempts and had been in place for some months.

Source: Mentioned elsewhere by others so not my idea, but not posted as a solution to this question.

October 1, 2004 Flag

After 4 hurricanes, my windows have masking tape Xs. I have window tinting film on the windows so I don't know how to get masking tape off?

Lucinda in FL

The WD40 works like perfectly. Great idea since we had taped windows when we thought Rita was moving to Houston""

I have almost the same problem except my windows have "adhesive tape" on them instead of masking tape and they are tinted so I can't use a razor blade. Any suggestions? I've tried WD 40; sorry it doesn't work on "scotch tape". Thanks, sdiegoden

I live in South Georgia and about the tape on windows it has been addressed by the hurricane preparedness program and we were told that taping the windows does nothing more than make the mess spoke of. I know that during the high winds of hurricanes in the past it didn't so I had already stopped using it because of the mess in cleanup.

Read More Answers...

June 30, 2008 Flag

I was painting my window frames on my house last year, and forgot to remove the blue painters tape. I have tried razors, soaking it, everything I can think of, and it will not budge. It seems to have baked on. Please, I'd appreciate any tips!

Alyssa from MO

How about using a hairdryer to melt whatever glue is left? I've never tried it, but it might work!

Thanks. I'll try both. I saw a commercial on TV this weekend for the painters tape that said it will come off even after months of being on.....ha ha ha. I laughed.

The longer you leave it on, like past 12 hours, it just ripps and shreds and is very hard to get off. I have done this many times with the sun baking it on or a furnace drying it. If you do a small area at a time, (2-3 feet) you can soak it with a wet sponge and wait about two minutes and repeat soak it. It will usually come loose. Sometimes I soak it a third time. If you try to soak too much of an area, it will just dry again. Just keep it very wet for at least 3 to 4 minutes.

If you have any spots with 2 layers, peel of the first layer and soak the second layer before trying to remove it. Don't attempt to use a razor or scraper except on glass.

Read More Answers...

March 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove masking tape from PVC windows?

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsApril 12, 2013
      Cleaning Windows
      Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
      A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
      Building with Recycled Windows
      duct tape flip flops
      Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 7:34:54 AM on 10.0.2.116 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.