Browsing: Cleaning Tape Off Windows

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Tape Off Windows

Tape can some times be difficult to easily remove from windows, particularly if it has been left on windows for a long time. This is a guide about cleaning tape off windows.

Tape on windows.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 3, 2005 Flag

I just got new windows installed in my house. They have left plastic stickers and small plastic bags glued to the windows. I have tried the antibacterial lotion but it didn't work. This is really strong adhesive. Please help. My beautiful windows look horrible with these plastic bags glued to them.

Molly

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have found that WD-40 sprayed on the stickey residue works great....spray, let it penetrate, then rub off with a clean, dry cloth

Best Answer

We had the same thing with our new windows. We pealed off as much of the sticker as we could and then drenched what was left with WD-40, let it sit for a while and then use the side of a credit card to scrape the residue off. Repeat if necessary. Then wipe off as much of the WD-40 as you can with a paper towel and wash the window as usual. Works great.

Best Answer

I tried a few of the above last night to no avail, then I rang the window manufacturers (in this case Velux) and they said hot soapy water! I nearly laughed at them, but guess what? It worked! It was like the heat or soap changed the consistency of the glue from hard and unmovable to stretchy and with very little effort was removed.

Loobs

Read More Answers...

January 12, 2014 Flag

I have a pop-up camper and the interior curtains, which have a rubber type material on the back, have "melted" to the plastic windows. When we peeled them off it left a sticky white residue. Any suggestions on how to get it off? It looks like the residue that duct tape would leave behind.

By Todd D.

Best Answer

If the windows are plastic, using a product like Goof Off or Goo Gone will melt the window and just make it worse. Try using a little isopropyl alcohol and see if that helps soften the residue. A good sturdy razor blade and a steady hand may be your best bet at that point. Using the razor blade and the alcohol together can be effective.

I have just managed to remove duct tape glue by first wiping with a brillo pad, leaving for 1 minute then scrubbing with a wire pad soaked in jif - worked really well :-)

September 10, 2011 Flag

When we heard about the hurricane, we taped our windows in an x pattern with masking tape. We realized we should have used painters tape, but didn't have any. When we took the tape off, a sticky residue was left. What can we use to take off the stickiness and have clean windows again?

By Pat

I was gonna say Goo B Gone but noticed someone else posted it. You could also try using a safety razor blade in a holder. I also wanted to add, I live in South Florida so I am used to getting ready for hurricanes. Tape on windows does nothing as far as protection goes. Anything hitting the window will cause it to still break and/or shatter. You're better off buying plywood to fit over the window and fastening it to the house or buying hurricane shutters from places like Lowes or Home Depot but these are more expensive than plywood. Oh, I just remembered, they now make a window film (something like tinting) that is suppose to help with hurricane protection.

I have used alcohol before and it worked fine. Or you can buy goo gone at Walmart.

I have tape residue on my balcony window from the winter. I tried one of the hints with white vinegar and it really works. :o) It sure made my day. Thank You for the hint. Buttons

Read More Answers...

June 11, 2011 Flag

I used masking tape to frame up a window and I left it there too long. The tape has now dried up and is hard to remove. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Frank M.

Try heating it up with a blow dryer if all else fails.

Soften adhesive with cheap mineral spirits and scrape with razor blade. Easy as A-B-C.

Eureka

Problem solved. Soak with white spirit and leave for 15 min

With a cheap plastic scraper tease the tape end up.

Now the important bit. As SLOWLY as possible peel the tape off.

You can actually hear it squealing with anger as it's grip is released.happy peeling

Read More Answers...

March 1, 2011 Flag

I taped windows up for Cyclone Yasi. Now I am confronted with the sticky layer from masking tape over the glass. I tried metho and eucalyptus oil. Do you have any suggestions, please?

By M

If the residue is dried hard from the heat or sun, use a razor blade at about a 45 degree angle to the glass and you'll find it scrapes off easily. If it is still gooey then, like the other posters said, use Goo Gone. It's amazing stuff. Make sure it is "Goo Gone" though and not "Goo Off" - it doesn't work nearly as well.

Mineral spirits! I just tried lots of different stuff to clean my windows and my husband handed me a can of Mineral spirits. Whew, so much easier...

Totally used Nail Polish Remover for the same problem you're trying to find an answer for, worked GREAT, and the tape residue was there for about 2 years! <3

Tia, Pasadena, CA

(1/3/2013)

Read More Answers...

June 18, 2010 Flag

Have you ever had unwanted tape left over on windows and glass surfaces? Spread a thin portion of smooth peanut butter on the taped area. Wait 2-3 hours and use a putty blade or any any flat somewhat sharp tool. Gently scrape at the area and see the magic of it sliding right off. Then clean window with a vinegar and water solution and paper towels. Voila! You are tape free.

By Javamom77 from Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Great idea! Beats trying to scrape it off.

To keep that from happening again, try to get the tape off before the sun hits the glass. It will come off much easier. I grew up in the South, and at that time, part of preparing for hurricanes was to tape the windows.

Wipe it with rubbing alcohol then use a razor blade scraper to get it off. I do this to remove price stickers from pictures and mirrors. It works great!

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsApril 12, 2013
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 6:06:47 PM on 10.0.1.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.