Cleaning Apartment Appliances

I moved into an apartment and the refrigerator and oven haven't been cleaned in a long time. The fridge has an odor and I need to get it out. Plus the oven has burnt on mess and I need inexpensive ways to clean them. Any suggestions?

Rhonda from MI

We have been through this before. Take the refrigerator door off and clean, clean, clean. Baking soda and hot water will clean alot and take away the odor, too. For the oven, use 2 tablespoons liquid soap, 2 teaspoons borax and hot water. Put in spray bottle. Warm the oven to 200 degrees. Saturate the area and leave on 20 minutes. Use a cloth or non-metallic brush to take off.

I just recently read where if you put a bag of coffee beans in a cupboard, ref. or anywhere you need to get rid of odors, the beans will absorb the odors completely. Worth a try in my opinion. Good luck!

I had that problem with the stove in our apartment when we moved in. We used an oven cleaner from the local dollar store. Follow the directions right on the can either heating for 20 minutes or leaving on over night. The burnt mess will wipe right off.

If you pour ammonia in a bowl and put it in your oven overnight, it will make it much easier to remove all of the burnt on residue. In the morning all you have to do it wipe up the interior of your oven with a rag.

Charcoal Briquettes, I have used them to get an ador out of an old freezer. Worked great. Just put a few briquettes in the fridge and close the door. The charcoal will absorb the odor.

Woman Cleaning Appliances
Cleaning Appliances
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 31, 2006
row of white refrigerators
Cleaning Textured Appliances
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
Home Appliances
Saving Money on Home Appliances