AdviceCharity

Where Can I Get Free Yarn for Charity Projects?

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

If you have a local e-newsletter or blog page, you can post a note there and will likely be inundated. Sorry, I can't ship from CA to MD, but I'm sure you will find some. I had yarn donated from teachers, scout leaders, people whose moms or aunts had passed away just about anywhere. You could also put a note in your church bulletin, or on bulletin boards in grocery stores, senior centers, etc.

Good luck!

Thrift stores have yarn for very cheap. I also unravel things like baby blankets, afghans, and old sweaters,

just be sure the sweater seams are not surged, because the strands are cut and you won't be able to unravel it.

(I have also turned tights, leggings, silk stockings and t-shirts into great colorful yarn. A cotton/spandex mix works best.) It does not fray, just cut it into a long strip, pull gently on it and it will form a nice smooth yarn.

I can't help you but thought I'd put a note in about soemthing that I have done that will help others when my time comes.

I crochet, knit, and do plastic canvas. So I have tons of yarns of all kinds, colors and weights. I also have hooks, needles, plastic canvas sheets, and all sorts of paraphenalia to go with it. Plus at least a couple hundred pattern books.

I put it in my will that all my craft supplies are to be donated to a senior citizens' center nearby where we live at the time of my death.

No one in my family does any of these crafts, and I figured instead of it being thrown away like it would have been otherwise, I'd donate it to a place that would appreciate it and get lots of use out of it.

Have you contacted any of the craft shops in your area. Or contact the Yarn companies directly. Good Luck, the world is so much better for people like you.

I have lots of yarn for knitting (esp. scarves) and would be happy to give it to you. As long as you collect it or pay for its postage, I'll give it to you for free.

Our local Goodwill has quite a bit of yarn. Most thrift stores and the Dollar Store too. Has anyone found that people are willing to mail a small amount of it? I'm starting a sort of charity event as part of a project on my blog and was wondering if it was worth doing if no one is willing to mail it. I wouldn't know how to go about doing prepaid postage (which could get pricey depending on how many people participate). I guess if they were, it would be much easier to get a bunch for charity too.

I'd also post something at your local craft stores. If people see it on the way in they may be willing to buy a skein and either get it to you or leave it there for you to collect from the store once in awhile. You may be surprised what places are willing to do for a good cause.

I have yarn and knitting needles I'd like to donate. where can I send them?

How do I get free yarn and crochet hooks. I would like some of anyone has any. I live in MI.

I have lots of yarn to donate. Let

Me know if you want it.

Hi Bev, Saw you message that you have yarn you would be willing to donate for charity knitting groups. Since that was in January is the offer still available. Our church does knitting and can always use donated yarn. Please let me know. Thanks so much.

I would be extremely interested Bev, depending on where you live, of course. I am in the UK and would like to start making charity items for Help for Heroes and SANDS.

Cheryl

bev do you still have this yarn I would love to have it for the crochet group I'm starting for charitys