Browsing: Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Where Can I Get Free Yarn for Charity Projects?

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

If you have a local e-newsletter or blog page, you can post a note there and will likely be inundated. Sorry, I can't ship from CA to MD, but I'm sure you will find some. I had yarn donated from teachers, scout leaders, people whose moms or aunts had passed away just about anywhere. You could also put a note in your church bulletin, or on bulletin boards in grocery stores, senior centers, etc.

Good luck!

Thrift stores have yarn for very cheap. I also unravel things like baby blankets, afghans, and old sweaters,

just be sure the sweater seams are not surged, because the strands are cut and you won't be able to unravel it.

(I have also turned tights, leggings, silk stockings and t-shirts into great colorful yarn. A cotton/spandex mix works best.) It does not fray, just cut it into a long strip, pull gently on it and it will form a nice smooth yarn.

I can't help you but thought I'd put a note in about soemthing that I have done that will help others when my time comes.

I crochet, knit, and do plastic canvas. So I have tons of yarns of all kinds, colors and weights. I also have hooks, needles, plastic canvas sheets, and all sorts of paraphenalia to go with it. Plus at least a couple hundred pattern books.

I put it in my will that all my craft supplies are to be donated to a senior citizens' center nearby where we live at the time of my death.

No one in my family does any of these crafts, and I figured instead of it being thrown away like it would have been otherwise, I'd donate it to a place that would appreciate it and get lots of use out of it.

Have you contacted any of the craft shops in your area. Or contact the Yarn companies directly. Good Luck, the world is so much better for people like you.

I have lots of yarn for knitting (esp. scarves) and would be happy to give it to you. As long as you collect it or pay for its postage, I'll give it to you for free.

Our local Goodwill has quite a bit of yarn. Most thrift stores and the Dollar Store too. Has anyone found that people are willing to mail a small amount of it? I'm starting a sort of charity event as part of a project on my blog and was wondering if it was worth doing if no one is willing to mail it. I wouldn't know how to go about doing prepaid postage (which could get pricey depending on how many people participate). I guess if they were, it would be much easier to get a bunch for charity too.

I'd also post something at your local craft stores. If people see it on the way in they may be willing to buy a skein and either get it to you or leave it there for you to collect from the store once in awhile. You may be surprised what places are willing to do for a good cause.

I have yarn and knitting needles I'd like to donate. where can I send them?

How do I get free yarn and crochet hooks. I would like some of anyone has any. I live in MI.

I have lots of yarn to donate. Let

Me know if you want it.

Hi Bev, Saw you message that you have yarn you would be willing to donate for charity knitting groups. Since that was in January is the offer still available. Our church does knitting and can always use donated yarn. Please let me know. Thanks so much.

I would be extremely interested Bev, depending on where you live, of course. I am in the UK and would like to start making charity items for Help for Heroes and SANDS.

Cheryl

August 28, 2012 Flag

I am doing a yarn drive for local south Floridians who knit for cancer patients, hospice, and neonatal babies. They will use any type of yarn. Where can we find donations?

By Cheryl S.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try yarn stores and department stores. If u explain what you are using it for, most will offer at least some. You might try and see if your local radio or TV stations (I mean public access TV or course) would let you come on to explain your need and more about your group. Call up your local paper and ask if they offer free 12 word ads for charity.

Supermarket throwaways also will give a small amount of space I'm sure. Posters on public bulletin boards like supermarkets, churches and libraries (in all cases ask first. Also major yarn makers like Bernat and Lion may help you if you send them a letter outlining your groups need and objectives and what the items will go for.

Go to shopgoodwill.com and look in the craft section. People are selling bundles of misc. yarn at very affordable prices. Lots cheaper than you will find in the retail stores.

May 17, 2011 Flag

We are looking for donations of yarn and assorted size crochet hooks to make 100 throws for children. Where can we get supplies donations?

By Poohbear48 from Syracuse, NY

I would call or contact the manager of various craft stores and tell them about your project, maybe even print up a flyer. Let them know it's a non-for-profit program to help kids. You could also check with friends and neighbors, thrift stores, or ebay for deals. If the throws are to be donated to a hospital, maybe you could take up a collection from nurses on that floor.

March 23, 2011 Flag

I have just started to crochet chemo caps for cancer patients. I also am crocheting items for newborns. I have several ladies that are joining me in this fun project. Since I am a senior citizen and have limited funds is there anyone out there that would like to donate yarn for us to use? Any amount of yarn will do. Thanks as we really appreciate it.

By Geri from Berea, OH

Answers:

Try putting up a notice at your church. Put a note on Craigslist. If you are on Facebook or any other social networking site, post it there. Write to the newspaper, write to the yarn companies, write to local craft and yarn stores, etc. (11/02/2010)

By Jilson

You can go online in your area and join freecyle.com, it is free. Persons give away items and others are looking for items. No selling is allowed. (11/02/2010)

By sleepygrandma

I would suggest you visit all the churches in your area and find out if they have a "woman's day" (at my church its called a group prayer time, but only women usually attend). Ask if you may attend these gatherings and ask for donations to your cause and if not ask if the church will put a request in their bulletin/Sunday handout. You might find a lot of women with extra yarn, from projects they finished in the past, willing to donate. You may even find more women willing to participate. (11/02/2010)

By Suntydt

Have you thought to contact any of the companies that make the yarn. They might send some to you. (11/03/2010)

By Lynda (crabby)

I don't know about free, although if you have a senior center in your town you might check there because lots of time people donate yarn to them and they can get overwhelmed with it. I do know if you have a Goodwill store near you and visit it often, lots of times you can find big bags of new skeins of yarn for .50-$1.00. I have gotten it lots of times there. (11/03/2010)

By Cora-Sue

My sister often takes sweaters apart and uses the yarn to make other things. Although it isn't free, you can often buy sweaters at garage sales and thrift stores very cheap. (11/03/2010)

By nikcooks

November 2, 2010 Flag

My mother knits for charity and we're on a tight budget. Does anyone know anywhere I can get yarn donated to us? Individuals or business? She makes beautiful afghans for our local orphanage, and we're running low on yarn. If you can, please email me with assistance. Thank you.

By Darlene from Spanaway, WA

Answers:

Go on Freecycle or Craig's list. You could also ask various churches if any members have yarn they would want to donate. (08/29/2010)

By redhatterb

Check with your local craft stores. Many have a time during the year when they donate to people doing things for charity. I do several charities (Project Linus; Care Wear, etc.) and have received yarn and materials from Jo Ann Fabric and Crafts. Some others such as Hancock's and Michael's might do the same. Good luck! (09/01/2010)

By Squeaks

Another possible place for yarn is the thrift stores, in the form of sweaters already knitted. You can get these sweaters for pretty cheap and then unravel them for the yarn.

God bless you and your mom!
(09/01/2010)

By GrammySheila in Springfield, IL

I have some yarn I can mail her. Contact me directly and give me your address. I'd be happy to send her some yarn. (09/02/2010)

By PainterLee

You may get yarn from Joann Fabrics, but I guarantee Michael's will not give you yarn, doesn't matter if it is for charity or not. (09/02/2010)

By applesauce

I too have yarn that I would be happy to send you. Let me know where to send. (09/05/2010)

By katluvsbears

Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects
Better Living Charity AdviceMarch 23, 2011
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:23:52 AM on 10.0.1.157 in 677 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.