Yarn for Autism Crochet Project

I am a board member of a non-profit, called Nassan's Place, in New Jersey. We help families who have autistic children/adults. I want to start crocheting classes for the parents and the children who are able to participate. I have 2 children of my own who are on the spectrum, but through B-complex vitamins, low sugar diet, no meds and a ton of consistency and love, both are becoming more self sufficient each day.

Crocheting helped me during those difficult times when I didn't know how to help my boys and I want to share the feeling of self worth with my parents because most are overwhelmed. Most children living with autism are fascinated with repetitive motion, so what better way to get them to use their hands and see themselves creating something? Can anyone share where I can find yarn or scraps that can be donated to us? Thanks in advance to all replies.

Best Answer

You can put out on Craigslist where you are what you are doing. Most people are very generous and can and will help.

Keep this in mind as well. I do a lot of yarn crafts and I am on a tight budget. So many people love that things are repurposed so I buy good quality scarves, afghans, etc and unravel them. You would be surprised at how many people love this idea that they are helping the environment and saving money.

Also, thrift shops can and have helped me when I was doing fundraisers so that is another idea.

What a wonderful thing you are doing. I hope this becomes beneficial to those you are helping.

PBP

Best Answer

If you have senior centers in your area, you may be able to put a note on their bulletin boards or in their newsletters. Many seniors are downsizing and are more than willing to give their craft supplies if they can find a "good home" for them. Also yard sales may be an option for you. You have a heart of gold to pursue this project. My hat's off to you for all your effort. I hope it more than meets your expectations.

Thanks Sandi, I didn't think of Craigslist and unraveling items, what a wonderful idea. I'll get the children to help out with that, very creative idea that will get them engaged. I appreciate your acknowledgements, warmest regards,

Antoinette

Thank you HJ [13] , very helpful advice . There are loads of senior group homes and centers here in Jersey and i love yard sales and flea markets . I did find a place in Ohio whose donating yarn along with scraps ! I am most appreciative .

Hi, I have several balls of something called cotton knit-Cro-Sheer. I would like to donate them. They are 100% mercantile cotton. Can you use them?