Make Your Own Logs

If you have a wood burning stove and receive the daily newspaper you can make your own newspaper logs. Lay newspapers flat and roll it into 3 inch diameter logs then wrap metal wire around the finished log. The tighter you can roll the paper the longer the "logs" will burn.

I understand that if you soak the rolled newspaper in waste soapy laundry or dish water and allow them to dry completely they will burn much longer.

I am trying to figure out away not to use wire,

The wire may melt, also it takes a long time to cool down for removing the wire from the woodburner

I like the idea about soaking the log in soapy water,

Elkhart, In.

I've written an article on making and using newspaper logs. I use them all the time to start fires and make the wood go a little further.

They are a great way to get fires started and use up a pile of newspapers that might otherwise go to waste.

once as a kid we made made fire logs from phone books, does anyone know how to do that now?

ewgonce @

Newspapers rolled into logs for burning.
Making Newspaper Logs
Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingNovember 29, 2005
Petrified Forest (Flagstaff, Arizona)
Petrified Forest (Flagstaff, Arizona) Frugal Travel Guide
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
A wood stove with firelogs in it.
Using Fire Logs
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs