Browsing: Training a Dog to Use a Dog House

Getting a Dog to Use Dog House

I have a question about my Sheltie/Blue. He will not go into his dog house no matter what the weather is. What can I do? I hate seeing him outside when we have cold and rain.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Hi

I agree with the others when they suggest that the dog will go into his kennel if he is uncomfortable.

However, that said, have you considered putting his treats in the kennel when he would usually be given one each time he does something good? Perhaps a nice bone to chew on when you go out, would also be an encouragement. He would also like having a few rugs &/or old jumpers that members of the family have worn, as they like to 'scrunch' them up to make a nice little 'nest' to snuggle into. I'd also make sure that his kennel is not too small for him, as well as ensuring that wind doesn't blow in that direction. You could also try putting a 'curtain' across the entrance, just nail a piece of fabric over the 'door' so that when he goes into it, he has his own little 'cubby'. The treats & rugs will certainly encourage him to enter with 'feel good' smells ... especially as he will be given the treats & bones when he's done something that pleases you ... so also remember to praise him when he enters his kennel.

My dog loves to 'do circles' scrunching his rugs into a nice little nest to snuggle into. He usually sleeps with me, but on occasion when we've been travelling, he's had to sleep in his crate, and he has no concerns about sleeping in his crate.

If these don't encourage him to use his kennel, don't worry, he is obviousely quite comfortable in the weather. I'd love to hear how you get on with the suggestions offered.

Cheers

Wendy

It has been my experience that when a dog becomes uncomfortable he or she will do whatever it takes to get comfortable even if it means if it means going into the dog house ..

Forcing a dog to be uncomfortable makes no sense to me.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

It's RARE that a dog, given the option of living in the house as a part of the family, will choose to be outside all of the time. They aren't stupid and it's totally against their pack nature.

If you don't have time for the dog why have one? Why would you willingly make a dog uncomfortable, lonely and bored? They aren't bushes you buy and plant outside. I can't understand at all why a person would have a dog and then force it to live outside. What's the point? You certainly aren't giving the dog anything good.

Some thick haired dogs might get hot inside but maybe the people keep the house to hot. And they should never be left out when no one's home. What if a storm or other bad weather comes up? Someone might steal them, yes, right out of the fence. Someone could tease them through the fence, throw poisoned meat or other things over the fence and he could bark all day driving your neighbors nuts. It's not safe in this day & age.

My dogs would have to be tied and beaten to keep them inside. All they want is to roam the woods, pens, yards and maybe hang around me for a few minutes but not long.

Hello,

Why don't you bring him in to the garage or a shelter near you. Maybe he is just lonely. Animals/humans like to be around others. If it is too cold or rainy why let him stay outside?

I can tell you what we did for our cat. My husband built a house for her in the garage. He put in a lightbulb that comes on for a length of time with a timer. This winter to introduce the cat to the warm house. He just put her in and barricaded the door so she couldn't get out for a couple of hours. Now she is in and out no problem. She just had to realize this new environment was nice and comfortable.

I will never understand why people will "adopt" pets and force them to live apart from the family.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Dogs are pack animals and need to be with their pack members, you and your family. Why don't you bring the dog in the house and then you won't have to worry about him being in the weather?

I believe the question was "How do I get my dog to use his dog house?" not "What is your personal opinion about people who have outdoor vs indoor pets?" Parts of the country differ (temperature, weather, country, city conditions, etc), as do pet owners (stay @ home, full time employees, retired pet owners, etc), and the pets (some actually prefer to be outside while others want to be inside, the breed, size, etc), not to mention a multitude of other factors. I'd prefer if people wouldn't judge without knowing the facts, nor place so much importance on their opinions. I regularly worked at a shelter, and kennels were purposely built outside for certain dogs. While it might not be to everyone's liking, neither is being an opinionated snob. Aren't we all just doing our best?

Well said, thank you.

I'm glad you said that because I was thinking the same thing as I read mostly opinions and criticism. Hope you find an answer. My daughter is going through the same thing with her dog.

I agree. we are not here to beat people up who have different views. We need to be helpful and very sweet to each other.

on to the question. we also have had a couple of dogs who refused to use dog houses. They would sit in rain, snow, ice whatever. Some dogs would just rather be outside. do what you feel is best. Its your dog! God bless

Please bring this "old" girl in the house. Dogs are pack animals and you are her pack leader. I can't imagine leaving my precious baby out in the cold and watching her huddle to keep warm while I am in a warm house. Please bring her in.

I haven't seen a post yet that said anyone was forcing their dog to stay outside! I think the questions were how to get a dog to come inside when it doesn't want to come inside or at least get them to go into a doghouse if they refuse to come inside the house. I live in a rural area and don't have contact with any homeless people, but I'm told that some people for whatever reason prefer to be homeless and live on the streets. Some of you are just so judgmental about what others should/shouldn't do and you know absolutely nothing about the circumstances. Try to get over yourselves!

Two dogs looking out the door of a wooden doghouse.
Training a Dog to Use a Dog House
Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 3, 2008
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
Old black dog.
Old Dog Peeing in House
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 4:26:26 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.