Painting Bathroom With Canary Yellow Tile

What color do I paint a canary yellow tiled bathroom? Help.

Susan from Connecticut

I have a similar issue, a yellow tub and tile accents. I think if you pair it with gray pt and very modern accents and chrome fixtures it will have a mid century modern look. There is also special tile paint at home improvement stores.

Hi Susan,

First of all it would be good to decide what 'character' you want the room to have: quaint and welcoming? Or perhaps modern and sleek?

Pick a small object or accessory that you like and than can stand the moisture in a bathroom and build the room around it. Personally I use a lot of small objects from thrift stores or given by friends to characterize my rooms.

When it comes to paint, general advice is to choose a shade of a contrasting or matching colour. Assuming the sanitary ware is white, I would say.

1. Contrasting would be lilac or purple, only advisable if it's a period property and the room gets lots and lots of late.

2. A matching shade is another yellow, beige, or perhaps a Magnolia with high yellow content.

There is nothing wrong with white, obviously, but even matt (as opposed to gloss) white paint would be very unforgiving on any wall imperfection and be somehow too stark.

Personally I would go for a very very pale blue, possibly even white with just a hint of blue (perhaps from a tester pot). It would look fresh and welcoming.

Don't forget that accessories that match the room's character (as mentioned above) the wall colour will help 'tie in' the scheme. Things like towels, bath mats, storage cabinets, perhaps dried flowers.

And last but not least, make sure you use paint for 'kitchen and bathrooms', the special kind that can sustain moisture and scrub-able and hard wearing. Happy painting!

I would use a royal blue with white baseboards and crown molding. Some gold in your fixtures will set it off.

Green...think sunflowers.

A medium blue along with the yellow will give you a french country look......and you can go from there. There are a lot of fabrics you could get to complement the two colors. Also, I have seen numerous prints with said colors. You could add solid color accessories, just be sure to include both colors. Have fun.