Browsing: Removing Scuffs on Patent Leather

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Scuffs on Patent Leather

Scuffs are very noticeable on bright and shiny patent leather shoes, purses, and other items. This is a guide about removing scuffs on patent leather.

Patent Leather Shoes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 6, 2016 Flag

I have a yellow Coach patent leather tote bag. Can someone please help me with how to remove the black stains? Thank you.

black marks on purse
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2011 Flag

I have a pair of patent leather shoes, that of course now have a very noticeable scuff mark on them. (It seems like the first time you wear a pair, the same thing happens)! I've heard that there's something that will "erase" these awful scuffs and bring the patent leather back to new again. Of course, I can't remember what the item or product is called.
Does anyone have any idea what works, or what I could be referring to?

By Gail

Best Answer

When I was a kid, everybody used Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on their black patent leather shoes, and I did the same on my girls when they were little.

Best Answer

Use a cotton ball or Q-tip and non-acetone polish remover. Saturate your cotton and rub until the scuff disappears. Note: Don't let the polish remover sit on the surface for too long as it may compromise the leather. Then wipe the shoe with a damp cloth and dry. If you want, you can then use a small amount of Vaseline to polish and shine the shoe. Hope this helps.

I agree with redhatterb. When I was little I had a pair of white patent leather shoes. My mom always had me treat the scuffs with vaseline then keep them in a plastic bag.

Best answer there is. Works very well. Love the Vaseline.

August 11, 2010 Flag

To clean scuff marks off white patent leather shoes, rub a small amount of mineral oil onto a test area. If the oil doesn't alter the color of the shoe, take a clean, soft cloth and apply a small amount of mineral oil to the surface of the show. Gently rub the scuff mark with light pressure until it completely disappears. Take a fresh cloth and buff your shoes.

If you don't have mineral oil, you can try some petroleum jelly, acetone free nail polish remover, or vegetable oil. Other options that may work to clean some types of patent leather are toothpaste and shaving cream. There are so many types of patent leather that what may work for one type of leather may not work for another. You may need to try a few different options.

Note: Always test a small sport near the heel of the shoe first

Source: Kristie Long, M.D.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

March 9, 2010 Flag

I have Patent leather Pradas and the leather is scraped off; is there a way I can get them fixed?

By Tinker from Brooklyn

Scuff marks steal the luster from leather shoes. An errant step, a clumsy dance partner or contact with a sharp or abrasive object is all it takes to leave your shoes looking scraped and blemished. But scuffed leather shoes are not necessarily lost. Minor scuffs and even some major ones can be buffed out and covered up. Knowing how to remove scuffs can save you the cost of new shoes and the trouble of finding a comparable pair.

ModerateInstructionsThings You'll Need:

Refinishing spray

Shoe-cleaning cloth

Leather repairer

Masking tape

Gum eraser, microfiber cloth or terry cloth (for patent leather shoes)

Cotton swab and rubbing alcohol (for patent leather shoes)

Dull Leather Shoes

Step 1Bring your shoes when you buy the refinishing spray; you'll need them to ensure the spray matches the color of the leather.

Step 2Wash the spot you wish to refinish. In a well-ventilated area, use a light shoe-cleaning cloth and leather preparer. Allow the shoes to dry, and repeat until the shoe's finish is dull and even.

Step 3Cover the shoe in masking tape, except for the scuffed areas.

Step 4Spray the shoe evenly across the leather. Allow it to dry and repeat until the spot has a consistent color.

Step 5Remove the masking tape and polish the shoes.

Patent Leather

Step 1Rub the scuff with a microfiber cloth, terry cloth or gum eraser. These can remove mild scuffs.

Step 2Use alcohol for more stubborn scuffs. Dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and dab the scuff.

Step 3Wipe the shoe with an absorbent cloth.

good luck.

April 23, 2009 Flag

I have a tip for white patent scuffed sandals. Firstly I cleaned the scuffed area with nail polish remover, then toothpaste and finished this off, with fast drying liquid paper.

By dunbarj from Queensland

You can also condition patent leather shoes with petroleum jelly or mineral oil.

August 11, 2010 Flag

I used a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and just removed white scuff marks off black patent leather shoes! They look brand new!

By Momcasti from Georgia

Answers:

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I can't believe it, but nail polish remover did the trick on my black patent Burberry bag. I was scared to death to try it, but it worked like a charm! (10/19/2009)

By viperella

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I can't believe it! I just scuffed my new bright pink patent leather shoes, really pretty I might add, while I was at work. I googled this site and was shocked to see it was acetone. Surprisingly I had acetone on my desk (I forget why I needed it once and I brought it to work) so I used it on my shoe, just dabbed a little bit of the acetone onto my tissue and I had scuffed my shoe it was actually black, I used the tissue on the scuff mark and like a miracle the scuff mark was gone! My shoe is back to normal with no scuff mark! Thank you so much! (01/10/2010)

By nagem1979

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I have Jessica Simpson white patent leather shoes. I think i got a wood scuff mark or something on them (it was brown). I put some petroleum jelly (vaseline) on them, let it sit for maybe 30 seconds, got some nail polish remover and rubbed on it gently. worked great! I tried it on a stain that was also on it but no success :( (05/01/2010)

By laceandpearls

October 8, 2009 Flag

Hi, I have a pair of beautiful black patent leather Mary Jane's, that unfortunately, now have noticeable white scuff marks on then.

February 17, 2008 Flag

I have used nail polish remover on my white patient leather shoes but the red scuff marks did not come off. What can I use so it will?

Bree from Miami, FL

Answers:

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

Family Dollar sells a double textured sponge that removes scuff marks off vinyl flooring and I'll bet it would work for scuffs on patent leather too. Just wet the white side of the sponge and gently rub. The blue side is for tougher ground in scuffs. (10/07/2007)

By Lorelei

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

This sounds kind of strange, but I came on this site to look up how to get a couple black scuffs off my new red patent leather heels. I heard the acetone in some cases took the shininess right out of the shoes, so when I saw someone suggest Vaseline, I was intrigued. Since I didn't have Vaseline, I tried Bacitracin and a sponge. It took a little elbow grease, but it worked wondrs! (10/11/2007)

By Vanessa

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I tried toothpaste, Comet, Clorox Clean-Up, Leather Shoe Whitener, pencil eraser and baking powder paste and none of it worked. I finally used Extra Coverage White-Out and it worked very well. Obviously, this would only work on white. (10/26/2007)

By Sharon Hoover

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!

Just used the magic eraser on my black patent leather pumps- worked great got all marks off and they look brand new. Do not use too much water on the eraser. (10/28/2007)

By Nicole

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I went all the way from PA to NY to get a pair of Bapes [[shoes]] and I got them in October. I had been saving up since June. I finally got them; the first time I wore them, in 5 min. I had a big scuff on them. So I took you guys' advice and used nail polish remover -- it worked really good on the pink patent leather toe of my shoe. Don't overdue it, and use a little bit of elbow grease. It works =] (11/01/2007)

By Rebekah

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

Nail polish remover worked great. However my girl friends white colin stuart white patent leather knee high boots are beginning to yellow. How do you get the yellow out and restore the bright white? Someone told me to take them over to my body shop and paint them, since all patent leather is plastic, ugh, help, she loves these boots. email Bam7722 at aol dot com with suggestions!(11/18/2007)

By Dave

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

WOW. My daughter had black scuff marks on the patent side of her Nike Zoom Air b-ball shoes, and I used bathroom Scrubbing Bubbles ( the kind you clean your bathroom with) and I scrubbed at the scuff with a paper towel and the bubbles and it was off in about 30 seconds. Worked wonders and there is NO dulling of the patent leather. (11/20/2007)

By Terri

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I just bought a expensive bcbg black patent leather bag. I got a 20% discount due to a decent size scuff mark on the bag. I read on this site that vaseline works. I tried it and it it took the scuff right off it looks brand new. Thank you. (12/05/2007)

By lori

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

NAIL POLISH REMOVER! I have pink BCBG patent leather pumps that I haven't worn in forever since I couldn't get the scuffs out. The nail polish remover took it out in a couple seconds and now I have a new pair of shoes! (12/21/2007)

By M

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

I used Nail Polish remover and it worked awesome! I am so excited I can refresh all of my scuffed shoes that have been sitting in the closet! (12/26/2007)

By monica

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

You might want to try good old spit first! I just tried petroleum jelly, nail polish remover, and vinegar, but buffing the scuffs with a dab of spit on a microfiber cloth worked better than any of the other things; don't knock a spit-shine until you try it! (01/03/2008)

By April

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

Use vaseline. It works fast.
(01/18/2008)

By

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

My son was devastated when his older brother caused his to scuff the black patent leather heel portion of his $175 Jordans. I came to this site from a Google search on "Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes" and I am so very glad I did.

We tried all of the methods mentioned above fingernail polish remover (non-acetone), rubbing alcohol, Magic Eraser, pencil eraser, toothpaste, Goo-Gone, etc. We even resorted to trying anything in our house we could find Sea Breeze, Claire's Pierced Ear Cleaner (which actually worked a little), jewelry rouge, etc.

Finally, we ran up to the drug store and bought a .79 cent bottle of CVS brand nail polish remover with acetone and it was gone in one swipe. We followed that up with a light Vaseline rub and you can't even tell the scuff was ever there.

Thank you ALL for your contributions to this topic, you made my 15 year old son ecstatic and prevented his potential jail time, since he was on the verge of killing his 16 year old brother. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the hole in my kitchen wall where he put his fist through my sheetrock instead of his brother's face.

Thanks All! (01/20/2008)

By Cat

scuff marks on vinyl gogo boots

Amazing! Just tried the acetone nail polish remover and it worked like a charm. now i can wear my red vinyl gogo boots again at halloween! thanks! (01/29/2008)

By sandy

Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

Mineral oil, AKA BABY OIL, without taking away the shine (01/31/2008)

By shirley

October 4, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

April 11, 2006 Flag
Home and Garden Repair ClothingMarch 24, 2013
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Patent Leather Shoes
Cleaning Patent Leather Shoes
Patent Leather Shoes
Cleaning Patent Leather
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:03:07 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.