Removing Scuffs on Patent Leather

Scuffs are very noticeable on bright and shiny patent leather shoes, purses, and other items. This is a guide about removing scuffs on patent leather.

Filter Sort

Question: How Can I Remove Scuffs on Patent Leather Shoes?

By Gail 1 4

I have a pair of patent leather shoes, that of course now have a very noticeable scuff mark on them. (It seems like the first time you wear a pair, the same thing happens)! I've heard that there's something that will "erase" these awful scuffs and bring the patent leather back to new again. Of course, I can't remember what the item or product is called.
Does anyone have any idea what works, or what I could be referring to?

By Gail

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Joan 13 1,478 Flag

May 3, 2011Best Answer

When I was a kid, everybody used Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on their black patent leather shoes, and I did the same on my girls when they were little.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sirrush 1 22 Flag

May 4, 2011Best Answer

Use a cotton ball or Q-tip and non-acetone polish remover. Saturate your cotton and rub until the scuff disappears. Note: Don't let the polish remover sit on the surface for too long as it may compromise the leather. Then wipe the shoe with a damp cloth and dry. If you want, you can then use a small amount of Vaseline to polish and shine the shoe. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Scuff Marks On Patent Leather Shoes

By Ron 181

To clean scuff marks off white patent leather shoes, rub a small amount of mineral oil onto a test area. If the oil doesn't alter the color of the shoe, take a clean, soft cloth and apply a small amount of mineral oil to the surface of the show. Gently rub the scuff mark with light pressure until it completely disappears. Take a fresh cloth and buff your shoes.

If you don't have mineral oil, you can try some petroleum jelly, acetone free nail polish remover, or vegetable oil. Other options that may work to clean some types of patent leather are toothpaste and shaving cream. There are so many types of patent leather that what may work for one type of leather may not work for another. You may need to try a few different options.

Note: Always test a small sport near the heel of the shoe first

Source: Kristie Long, M.D.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repairing Scraped Patent Leather

By Tinker 1

I have Patent leather Pradas and the leather is scraped off; is there a way I can get them fixed?

By Tinker from Brooklyn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

Scuff marks steal the luster from leather shoes. An errant step, a clumsy dance partner or contact with a sharp or abrasive object is all it takes to leave your shoes looking scraped and blemished. But scuffed leather shoes are not necessarily lost. Minor scuffs and even some major ones can be buffed out and covered up. Knowing how to remove scuffs can save you the cost of new shoes and the trouble of finding a comparable pair.

ModerateInstructionsThings You'll Need:

Refinishing spray

Shoe-cleaning cloth

Leather repairer

Masking tape

Gum eraser, microfiber cloth or terry cloth (for patent leather shoes)

Cotton swab and rubbing alcohol (for patent leather shoes)

Dull Leather Shoes

Step 1Bring your shoes when you buy the refinishing spray; you'll need them to ensure the spray matches the color of the leather.

Step 2Wash the spot you wish to refinish. In a well-ventilated area, use a light shoe-cleaning cloth and leather preparer. Allow the shoes to dry, and repeat until the shoe's finish is dull and even.

Step 3Cover the shoe in masking tape, except for the scuffed areas.

Step 4Spray the shoe evenly across the leather. Allow it to dry and repeat until the spot has a consistent color.

Step 5Remove the masking tape and polish the shoes.

Patent Leather

Step 1Rub the scuff with a microfiber cloth, terry cloth or gum eraser. These can remove mild scuffs.

Step 2Use alcohol for more stubborn scuffs. Dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and dab the scuff.

Step 3Wipe the shoe with an absorbent cloth.

good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Scuffs From White Patent Leather Sandals

By Judith 1

I have a tip for white patent scuffed sandals. Firstly I cleaned the scuffed area with nail polish remover, then toothpaste and finished this off, with fast drying liquid paper.

By dunbarj from Queensland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr436488 Flag

You can also condition patent leather shoes with petroleum jelly or mineral oil.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mark on Patent Leather Shoe

By Sara D. 1

closeup of markI don't think this one is a scuff mark, but I'm not sure. I accidentally rubbed my other shoe with this one and it caused a streak looking mark. When I touch it, it doesn't feel or look shiny.
I know it's not that big of a deal, but I'd still like to know if there's a way to give it back that gloss in case it were to happen again. :(

Btw, this is synthetic patent leather. I hope someone can shed some light on this! I'd appreciate it!

By Sara D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Patent Leather Shoes
Home and Garden Repair ClothingMarch 24, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Patent Leather Shoes
Cleaning Patent Leather Shoes
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:21:15 PM on 10.0.1.191 in 987 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings