Finding Cheap Plants

The best way to get cheap plants is from fellow gardeners. Ask your neighbor if you can have a start or take a cutting of one of their plants. Start exchanging plants with family members. Next, you will want to check out your local farmer's market. They sell plants at reasonable prices and are always willing to offer helpful advice about how to care for the plants they sell. Plants you acquire locally will be better adapted to growing in your climate.

SO VERY TRUE. I've gotten such marvelous starts and transplants this way, especially during bloomtime when I find special Iris in an overgrown bed. Also, be well-prepared when approaching anyone you might ask for a plant, AS WELL AS being

PROMPT to plant the transplant within a few hours or days afterwards. Cane plants and cactus require a

"drying out time", I believe, but otherwise, try to get enough of the original dirtball, and plenty of rootsystem for whatever plant you get. Don't take just any kind of plant, however. I took one from a stranger who must have had a good laugh afterwards

by my asking for it. It was mint which is terribly invasive for first time growers. Another plant, the

cockscomb and it's relatives, are so profusive in their seeding that it goes everywhere. So, think about what you'd like to have. Look slowly and carefully at which side of their house the plant does best. In other words, don't try to take it from the

South side of someone's home and plant it into the North side of yours, or from a very shady area into your dryer area. Ask for all the information the owner will give you, taking notes, because you WILL forget, and owners usually take pride in whatever they know about their plants. It goes with growing things.

By the same token, when you begin to have an overgrown bed, place a sign in the yard and share

with passers by/neighbors the same way you were

shared with. Save your old pots and be as generous as you can with anyone who seems interested rather than to let them die. One seldom gets what they are worth in a garage/plant sale unless there is a LOT of

plants to choose from and in GREAT condition. I've

seen huge plants go for peanuts. In my opinion, building better neighbor relations is far better.

In these days, we seldom know our neighbors, but a simple sign will be a nice invitation rather than door

to door solicitation. Preprinted information about each one would also be a joy to receive, believe me.

God bless you for taking care of His Creation an loving your neighbors. : )

At work in the spring, we like to have a plant and seed exchange. For any gardener who is willing to share what they have, they can also receive from others.

I have received a number of wonderful plants for my garden and have learning so much from my fellow gardeners.

Our Habitat for Humanity chapter has a Habitat ReStore where you can purchase plants during the warm months. An entire flat or hanging basket usually sells for under $5.00 in our area.

One of our neighbors asked for some cuttings of our red apple iceplant for his yard. We were in the middle of trimming it, anyhow, so it worked out nicely and the plant thrives in his yard.

Plants in pots at a nursery.
Saving Money on Plants
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsJanuary 17, 2007
Cheap Date Ideas, Young Couple in the Park
Cheap Date Ideas
Plant Sale
Saving Money by Shopping End-Of-Season Plant Sales
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver