Controlling Odors in a Linen Closet

My cedar closet which happens to be underneath our front porch had an off and on slightly humid smell, depending on the time of year. I filled the bottom 3 inches of a pantyhose leg with kitty litter, tied a knot, cut off the excess pantyhose material and hung it in my closet. Never had a problem with odor again!

By mlina from Amherstburg, ON

Try hanging the kitty litter in a piece 0f panty hose like I did for the odor in my cedar closet. It took only a day or so but the smell went away and has never come back. P.S. Even after the smell went away, I left the hanging kitty littter panty hose. It's not in my way and it's there 'just in case".

Very nice hint, Mlina! Thank you.

I can just see that cat!

Marg from England.

Is it hard to walk with kitty litter in your hose?

Charcoal in open cans works very well for mildew too. Put a piece of fabric over the top of the can, and add a rubber

band to keep it in place. I also keep all my soap bars unwrapped in my linen closet. Smells wonderful every time I open the door. And it lasts forever. If you like the fragrance of lavender, buy a few bars of Yardley's English Lavender

soap, and just use it in the drawers and linen closet.

Good tip with the panty hose and kitty litter. I've also used cans of cedar shavings from my hubby's wood shop

in the same manner as your kitty litter.

Thank you for sharing.

Pookarina

Thanks for a great hint!

My nephew peed on a blanket and no one knew it and it was put in the linen closet. How do you get rid of the smell in the closet now? I have washed everything in the closet and it didn't help. Febreeze seems to make it worse.

Kellie from Cookeville, TN

Answers:

Odors in a Linen Closet

I have used coffee grinds in a refrigerator to get rid of some really awful smell, so I think that might help you. Just make sure it is up high enough that little ones don't spill it everywhere. (03/02/2007)

By Dede

Odors in a Linen Closet

Borax may help. You can wash down the linens, walls and whatever else is in there. I use it in all our washes. It has removed most every smell I've encountered. Our store carries it in the bleach section on the top shelf. (03/02/2007)

By jc42

Odors in a Linen Closet

Exhausting, but effective: Wash all the linens that were in the closet with baking soda in the wash cycle, and white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Wash down all the inside of the closet with baking soda and water; a fairly heavy concentration. Let dry. Rinse. If walls are wood. Polish with Lemon Pledge. Wipe away all residue. Hang sachets of Baking soda from ceiling and sprinkle it on each shelf before covering it with paper liner, securely affixed, to go under linens as they are being replaced. (03/10/2007)

By CheepieGal