Instant Pickled Beets

I would like to make simple beet pickles from canned beets.

By Janet from GA

Hi Janet, This is my sweet pickling mixture. I make it up and keep it in a half-gallon jar, then use it as needed to make my sweet pickles using Kosher Dills or our favorite pickled beets.

1 Quart apple cider vinegar

20 whole all spice berries

5-6 cups sugar ( I use 6 or more)

Place all ingredients in a stainless steel pot and heat to boiling; stirring all the while to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat allow to cool. Keep it in a glass or plastic bottle or jar...no need to refrigerate. I just keep it in the cabinet and use it as needed.

If you need to make instant pickled beets, place beets in a stainless steel pot and add sweet vinegar just to cover. If you don't like it as tart, then add some of the beet juice and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes covered. Remove from heat and allow to cool. You may refrigerate now, or serve immediately. If the beets are sliced, they should be plenty pickled to suit you. Refrigerate all leftovers along with the liquid. You can add more to it just by adding a little more of the prepared sweet vinegar and another can of drained beets. Keep refrigerated until the next pickled beet attack.

One of us will always drink all the leftover beet liquid. Hope this helps. Julia

I make picked beets using canned beets. The sliced ones work best. Slice them yourself if you get the canned whole beets. For a can of beets around 14 oz. or so, use 1/3 cup each of sugar, white vinegar and the drained beet liquid from the can. Discard the rest of the beet liquid. Combine all those 3 ingredients in a small saucepan, add 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves. Heat till sugar melts and add the drained beets. Bring it all to a boil while covered and simmer a minute or two. Shut off the heat and let beets cool down in the liquid--about an hour, then refrigerate. This results in pickled beets tasting very much like the ones sold in jars.

Easy pickled beets

1 (14.5 oz) can small beets (Not the pickled kind)

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 t. ground cinnamon

1/4 t. ground cloves

1/4 onion coarsely chopped

Drain & discard the juice from the beets and place beets in a bowl. In a pan, combine sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves and onion.

Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the mixture over the beets; let cool, then cover and refrigerate for one day before serving. Serve chilled beets.

Makes approximately 2 cups or 4 servings. 160 calories.

For each can of sliced beets, add 1/3 cup brown vinegar and 1/3 cup sweetener. Can also add chopped onions, as much or little as you like, optional. Let set overnite in fridge, drain and eat/

I save the juice from sweet pickles and put the drained canned beets or when I have fresh ones from garden boil them till soft drain cut up and add to pickle juice.

April 18, 2010 Flag

Ingredients

• 1 cup liquid
  • 1/2 cup brown vinegar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 stick cinnamon OR 1 Tbsp. whole cloves

Directions

For each can of beets you use, you need 1 cup of liquid. Liquid is the beet juice from the can and water added to make the 1 cup.

Place the liquid in a medium sauce pan, and set the beets aside in a med-large plastic bowl you can cover when done. Add to the liquid, the brown vinegar, sugar, and spice choice. Bring liquid mix to a boil, then pour over beets. Cover and refrigerate till chilled.

Great for a "do it the day before" holiday side dish. And yes, it can be made with sugar substitutes for diabetics.

By Dede from Macon, MO

Answers:

Instant Pickled Beets

I also make pickled beets using canned beets, but your recipe sounds much too sweet to me. I assume you mean a 15 oz. can, that's what I use. For one can of sliced beets I use 1/3 cup beet liquid (juice from the can), 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup white vinegar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp. ground cloves.

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Add drained sliced beets, cover, let return to a boil and turn off the heat. Let it sit until cool (about an hour) and refrigerate. This tastes like the pickled beets in the jar, Greenwood brand, I think. (01/08/2009)

By OliveOyl

Pickled Beets
Pickled Beets Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesApril 18, 2010
Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets
Peeling Beets
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Canning Beets
Freezing Beets
🎉
🎄