Body Oil Stains on Linens

Does anyone know how to get body oils out of sheets and towels? My husband has very oily skin and the oils seems to set in our white sheets and towels. I have tried soaking and bleach to no avail. They still have a noticeable yellow cast to them. I don't want to change sheets twice a week or buy dark towels. His latex pillow is also a nightmare! I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Nancy from Michigan

Not sure about body oil, but when we have oil stains on our clothes I use regular Dawn dishwashing soap on them, and they come out. I wet the garment area, use a toothbrush to apply full strength Dawn on the area, scrub it some, and put it in the washer.

Try washing with inexpensive (Suave or VO5) shampoo for oily hair. Add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water.

My husband has oily skin also. The only thing that has helped (and it certainly isn't much) is to convince him to clean his neck each night with cotton balls soaked in astringent. It's sold for teenage acne. That has saved his new pillow but not much help with yellow-cast sheets. Will follow your posting for solution(s).

My soon to be X was like that due to medications. Sometimes in middle of night I would have to get up and change sheets as they were soaked. I would wash with reg laundry soap and add 1 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup to 1 cup of baking soda. I learned to wrap a large white bath towel around his pillow and use 2 to 3 pillow cases and place 2 oversize white bath towels directly under his side under the fitted bed sheets. Good luck.

I have used a cup of ammonia added to the normal amount of detergent when my husband had been working with motor oil and wiped his hands on his jeans. Ammonia is a grease cutter and deodorizer. The jeans would come out completely clean and freshened. Vinegar is a grease cutter also, but not quite heavy duty enough to handle motor oil. If adding vinegar doesn't do the trick, you might be happy trying the cup of ammonia.

Bleach is not a grease cutter, ammonia is. Just don't ever mix them!

Arm & Hammer in the yellow box. Add it to your detergent, filll the washer with warm water for a medium sized load and allow to agitate a couple minutes to mix, add the clothes and turn off washer for about an hour. After soaking set level to high and continue filling with warm water and allow it to complete the cycle.

Washing Bed Sheets
Cleaning Bed Sheets
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsJuly 14, 2008
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎄
🍂