FlooringHome Improvement

Putting New Self Stick Tiles Over Old Ones

I have put self stick tile down years ago in both bathrooms and easily removed the linoleum first. Now after 18 years I want to put a solid color self stick down. Can I put the new self stick on top of the old? I will make sure to space them so they cover the old lines completely. Or do I have to remove the old ones first? They were really stuck from the moment I put them down. I am 67 and will be doing the work myself.

By SandyK from Tucson

Answers

If I were you it would be best to remove the old flooring and start from scratch. You might run into problems with your old floor heaving up underneath the new tiles. After you remove the old flooring, make sure that you sweep the sub-flooring well. If you don't you will end up with bumps under your tiles. Buy a can of adhesive and apply it to your sub-flooring, before laying out your tiles.