Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Keeping Rugs From Slipping

A rug sitting on a wood floor.

Roaming area or throw rugs can be annoying. Keeping them from slipping can be tricky depending on the surface they are on. This is a guide about keeping rugs from slipping.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Shelf Liner for Securing Throw Rugs

My husband scored several new oriental style rugs. The problem is that the smaller area rugs slipped on our linoleum flooring. I solved that problem by buying an inexpensive roll of brown foam shelving liner and cutting it up into rectangles to put two under each rug at each end to anchor them. One cheap roll ($1.50) was enough for four area rugs.

Pamela M. from Hollywood, CA

Tip: Keep Throw Rugs In Place

To keep rugs from sliding: Instead of buying those expensive mats, you can use a roll of the rubber shelf liner you can buy at the dollar store.

By Carmen from Daytona Beach, FL

Tip: Tips for Keeping Area Rugs from Moving

Keeping your rug in place is important to prevent falls. Here are a few options for keeping area rugs in place:

• Buy a non-slid rug pad at the store. If it is not the right size, cut it to fit, and place it under your rug.
  • Use a roll of rubber coated shelf liner. Cut it to fit under your rug. Lay it on the floor and place your rug on top of it.
  • If you have hardwood or laminate flooring, buy a good quality, double-sided tape and stick use it to stick your rug down. Some stores carry a tape specifically for this purpose.

Tip: Masking Tape to Keep Rugs from Slipping

I can guarantee that this works. Rugs on hard floors stop slipping if you roll masking tape (the kind that vehicle painters use, which can be bought at any hardware store) at least 5 times around your hand and apply to each corner of the rug. The tape will not damage any tiles or even wooden flooring

By

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Keeping Rugs From Slipping.

Question: Keeping Throw Rugs from Creeping on Carpet

We have carpet in our kitchen (I know, crazy!). We have throw rugs in front of the range and sink. How can we keep them from creeping on the carpet?

By BJ

Question: Keeping a Rug Runner from Sliding

I have a long rug runner over my wall to wall carpeting from my front door to my TV room to cut down on dirt being tracked into the house. The runner slides constantly. I tried a rubberized mat underneath, but it did not work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

By Monica

Most Recent Answer

By Helmut07/28/2013

Double-sided rug tape won't help much. You need hook strips like the carpet layers use for anchoring wall-to-wall carpet. You nail or screw the strip through the carpet to the floor underneath. Don't worry about damage to the carpet. A few tiny nail holes won't make any difference and will never be visible.
Do that at both ends, hook the carpet at one end, then stretch it as hard s you can and hook it at the other end. Carpet layers use knee-kickers for stretching the carpet. You can rent those at Home Depot.

That method holds all your wall-to-wall carpets in place and is quite reliable.
Have fun!
DearWebby

Question: Keeping Rug from Sliding on Hardwood

I have a large braided rug in front of my door, on the hard wood flooring. It keeps sliding around everywhere except where I want it to stay?

By Lisa

Most Recent Answer

By Laura Justice01/16/2013

The rolled mats in dollar stores for shelf liners - are rubberized. Cut to fit the rug, or cut to place under where the foot meets the rug initially. Try that. Also works between mattress and box springs to keep them from sliding apart. Good stuff!

Question: Keeping Small Rugs From Sliding

What is a cheap or free way to get small rugs to stay in place on the floor? How about rugs? I appreciate any ideas, as my rugs are sliding and wrinkling and I don't have the money yet to get what I need. Thanks.

By Hilary from Boston, MA

Most Recent Answer

By Anonymous09/27/2011

I was going to suggest the rubber shelf/drawer liners that Omanana mentioned. I even used a wide one of those cut to fit to keep from slipping in my shower.

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Vicki Warren12/21/2008

To keep things from slipping, I use the self sticking shelf paper. The one that is rubbery and you cut it to fit. It's sold next to the contact paper in housewares. I use it for carpets, mattresses, doormats, etc.

Vicki

By susan [5]06/08/2006

Try craft stores. When I used to make hooked rugs, there was a spray-on type backing used for non-slip rugs. Just be sure to use it over a large sheet of paper, cardboard, etc, cause it won't come off of any surface that it accidently gets sprayed on.

By Willem (Guest Post)06/07/2006

I sewed rubber rings from canning glass jars under similar rugs and that stopped them from sliding all over.