Keeping Rugs From Slipping

Roaming area or throw rugs can be annoying. Keeping them from slipping can be tricky depending on the surface they are on. This is a guide about keeping rugs from slipping.

To keep rugs from sliding: Instead of buying those expensive mats, you can use a roll of the rubber shelf liner you can buy at the dollar store.

By Carmen from Daytona Beach, FL

You need to periodically check the shelf liner if that is what you decide to use because it can eventually harden and will no longer prevent the rug from slipping - from personal experience.

I can guarantee that this works. Rugs on hard floors stop slipping if you roll masking tape (the kind that vehicle painters use, which can be bought at any hardware store) at least 5 times around your hand and apply to each corner of the rug. The tape will not damage any tiles or even wooden flooring

I'm trying to understand what your directions mean as far as rolling the tape around your hand five times? Are you just looking to get five layers (of strips) for each corner? Also, is this the kind of automotive tape you are referring to? http://www.orei … 85&ppt=C0404

Would love to try this, but am hoping for some clarification first. TIA.

Keeping your rug in place is important to prevent falls. Here are a few options for keeping area rugs in place:

What can I use to stop rugs slipping and curling on a carpet?

we have runners on a carpet which is on a concrete floor, cannot keep runners still.

What can I use to stop rugs moving on carpet

Thanks Caroline

I bought some rubber shelf padding to put under the rug, it works good, but it is such a pain when I have to lift the rug to set my dishwasher in place. Is there a spray to put on the back of none slip rugs?

By D M J

There are products that attach to the corners of rugs to reduce rug movement. Check online or at carpeting and big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

Anonymous

I tried this but they stuck to the floor and came off of the rug.

Don't waste your $$ on the the "corner grippers". They move, leave marks, stick to the floor but not the rug, etc. If you want to try them, pay the shipping & I'll gladly mail them to you. They come in a pack of 4 & I have 5-7 pkgs. The brand is "ruggies"

I have 15 rugs on my hardwood floors. I am trying to secure them from moving around especially with my four dogs. I tried almost everything I find in the stores, but nothing has worked.

By Cassidy

Take each rug and put it on a table upside down. With a hot glue gun, make a "lazy S" around the edges and then crisscross several times in the center. Once dried, it will make a good non-slide backing. However, if for some reason the fabric doesn't like the glue I would try it with one rug first. Hope that helps.

This is the best idea!

I've tried everything, trust me, I'm 56.

I was using industrial spray adhesive, it worked, but like everything else, not for long.

Hot glue strip like on the bottom of slippers! It will stick to the rug, I'm going to go do it right now to my favorite rug that the rubber backing came off of!

Thanks!!

I just bought a glue gun & glue sticks! Praying that this will take care of the slipping rugs on my daddy's Linoleum Floors! We have tried so many products & doesn't seem to adhere to the backing of the rugs! Thank you for the post :)

What can I use to cheaply keep rugs from slipping on a carpet?

Dollar tree has a Non-Slip Rug Underlay. It works well on wood and tile or linoleum floors. It may work on carpet as well.

What is a cheap or free way to get small rugs to stay in place on the floor? How about rugs? I appreciate any ideas, as my rugs are sliding and wrinkling and I don't have the money yet to get what I need. Thanks.

By Hilary from Boston, MA

All great ideas. I use Duct Tape and make a circle around my four fingers, making sure it adhere's to it'self. Then I put some on all four corners or if it's oval/round, in the center and on four or five other places.

You will have to replace it about every three months, but that's a small price to pay for rungs that won't slip.

Good luck. PBP

Anonymous

I was going to suggest the rubber shelf/drawer liners that Omanana mentioned. I even used a wide one of those cut to fit to keep from slipping in my shower.

Anonymous

An earlier post said the shelf liner discoloured the floor. 

We have a runner leading into our living room. We bought the non-slip tape that you can get that attaches itself to the rug and then grips to the carpet, but that does not work for us. Our dog loves to run in that area (hence the rug), so we need something that will really keep it down. I'm doubtful about the shelf liner because the anti-slip tape has that kind of look and feel to it.

By Nikki A.

There is a product that is sticky like carpet tape, but comes in a sheet so you can cover the whole bottom of the rug with it. I have used it and it works pretty well. Nothing seems to last forever. This worked for about a year and then I replaced it. It had picked up enough dirt and fibers that it didn't stick well any more.

I have a long rug runner over my wall to wall carpeting from my front door to my TV room to cut down on dirt being tracked into the house. The runner slides constantly. I tried a rubberized mat underneath, but it did not work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

By Monica

Double-sided rug tape won't help much. You need hook strips like the carpet layers use for anchoring wall-to-wall carpet. You nail or screw the strip through the carpet to the floor underneath. Don't worry about damage to the carpet. A few tiny nail holes won't make any difference and will never be visible.

Do that at both ends, hook the carpet at one end, then stretch it as hard s you can and hook it at the other end. Carpet layers use knee-kickers for stretching the carpet. You can rent those at Home Depot.

That method holds all your wall-to-wall carpets in place and is quite reliable.

Have fun!

DearWebby

what if the rug is not wall to wall, but each end is exposed?

I have a large braided rug in front of my door, on the hard wood flooring. It keeps sliding around everywhere except where I want it to stay?

By Lisa

The rolled mats in dollar stores for shelf liners - are rubberized. Cut to fit the rug, or cut to place under where the foot meets the rug initially. Try that. Also works between mattress and box springs to keep them from sliding apart. Good stuff!

I used two small sink mats that have suctions on the bottom. They are like bathtub mats but are smaller and it works great!

We have carpet in our kitchen (I know, crazy!). We have throw rugs in front of the range and sink. How can we keep them from creeping on the carpet?

By BJ

Lowe's has a roll of plastic with teeth you can buy as much as you want off roll in different colors, just wipe clean. Years ago mom had it down our long hallway.

I have tried using rubber shelf lining under my kitchen fatigue rugs. This doesn't work for me. Any other suggestions?

By Gerry F.