Browsing: Keeping Rugs From Slipping

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Rugs From Slipping

Roaming area or throw rugs can be annoying. Keeping them from slipping can be tricky depending on the surface they are on. This is a guide about keeping rugs from slipping.

A rug sitting on a wood floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 1, 2009 Flag

My husband scored several new oriental style rugs. The problem is that the smaller area rugs slipped on our linoleum flooring. I solved that problem by buying an inexpensive roll of brown foam shelving liner and cutting it up into rectangles to put two under each rug at each end to anchor them. One cheap roll ($1.50) was enough for four area rugs.

Pamela M. from Hollywood, CA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 9, 2016 Flag

What can I use to stop rugs slipping and curling on a carpet?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we have runners on a carpet which is on a concrete floor, cannot keep runners still.

March 12, 2016 Flag

What can I use to cheaply keep rugs from slipping on a carpet?

Dollar tree has a Non-Slip Rug Underlay. It works well on wood and tile or linoleum floors. It may work on carpet as well.

July 22, 2013 Flag

I can guarantee that this works. Rugs on hard floors stop slipping if you roll masking tape (the kind that vehicle painters use, which can be bought at any hardware store) at least 5 times around your hand and apply to each corner of the rug. The tape will not damage any tiles or even wooden flooring

June 12, 2012 Flag

To keep rugs from sliding: Instead of buying those expensive mats, you can use a roll of the rubber shelf liner you can buy at the dollar store.

By Carmen from Daytona Beach, FL

August 19, 2014 Flag

I have 15 rugs on my hardwood floors. I am trying to secure them from moving around especially with my four dogs. I tried almost everything I find in the stores, but nothing has worked.

By Cassidy

I have wood laminate and use the carpet pads you put under the rugs. Works for me.

Take each rug and put it on a table upside down. With a hot glue gun, make a "lazy S" around the edges and then crisscross several times in the center. Once dried, it will make a good non-slide backing. However, if for some reason the fabric doesn't like the glue I would try it with one rug first. Hope that helps.

April 18, 2015 Flag

We have a runner leading into our living room. We bought the non-slip tape that you can get that attaches itself to the rug and then grips to the carpet, but that does not work for us. Our dog loves to run in that area (hence the rug), so we need something that will really keep it down. I'm doubtful about the shelf liner because the anti-slip tape has that kind of look and feel to it.

By Nikki A.

There is a product that is sticky like carpet tape, but comes in a sheet so you can cover the whole bottom of the rug with it. I have used it and it works pretty well. Nothing seems to last forever. This worked for about a year and then I replaced it. It had picked up enough dirt and fibers that it didn't stick well any more.

September 26, 2011 Flag

What is a cheap or free way to get small rugs to stay in place on the floor? How about rugs? I appreciate any ideas, as my rugs are sliding and wrinkling and I don't have the money yet to get what I need. Thanks.

By Hilary from Boston, MA

Squeeze "Speed Sew" on the back in lines or swirls. Works on the soles of knitted slippers too.

All great ideas. I use Duct Tape and make a circle around my four fingers, making sure it adhere's to it'self. Then I put some on all four corners or if it's oval/round, in the center and on four or five other places.

You will have to replace it about every three months, but that's a small price to pay for rungs that won't slip.

Good luck. PBP

I was going to suggest the rubber shelf/drawer liners that Omanana mentioned. I even used a wide one of those cut to fit to keep from slipping in my shower.

Read More Answers...

February 24, 2015 Flag

I bought some rubber shelf padding to put under the rug, it works good, but it is such a pain when I have to lift the rug to set my dishwasher in place. Is there a spray to put on the back of none slip rugs?

By D M J

There are products that attach to the corners of rugs to reduce rug movement. Check online or at carpeting and big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

January 14, 2013 Flag

I have a large braided rug in front of my door, on the hard wood flooring. It keeps sliding around everywhere except where I want it to stay?

By Lisa

The rolled mats in dollar stores for shelf liners - are rubberized. Cut to fit the rug, or cut to place under where the foot meets the rug initially. Try that. Also works between mattress and box springs to keep them from sliding apart. Good stuff!

I used two small sink mats that have suctions on the bottom. They are like bathtub mats but are smaller and it works great!

January 8, 2014 Flag

We have carpet in our kitchen (I know, crazy!). We have throw rugs in front of the range and sink. How can we keep them from creeping on the carpet?

By BJ

Lowe's has a roll of plastic with teeth you can buy as much as you want off roll in different colors, just wipe clean. Years ago mom had it down our long hallway.

July 26, 2013 Flag

I have a long rug runner over my wall to wall carpeting from my front door to my TV room to cut down on dirt being tracked into the house. The runner slides constantly. I tried a rubberized mat underneath, but it did not work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

By Monica

Double-sided rug tape won't help much. You need hook strips like the carpet layers use for anchoring wall-to-wall carpet. You nail or screw the strip through the carpet to the floor underneath. Don't worry about damage to the carpet. A few tiny nail holes won't make any difference and will never be visible.

Do that at both ends, hook the carpet at one end, then stretch it as hard s you can and hook it at the other end. Carpet layers use knee-kickers for stretching the carpet. You can rent those at Home Depot.

That method holds all your wall-to-wall carpets in place and is quite reliable.

Have fun!

DearWebby

August 11, 2011 Flag

Keeping your rug in place is important to prevent falls. Here are a few options for keeping area rugs in place:

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJuly 11, 2011
        Photo of a colorful area rug.
        Color Advice for Area Rugs
        Throw Rug
        Cleaning Throw Rugs
        Area Rug in Dining Room
        Area Rug Tips
        Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
        Cleaning Area Rugs
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 25, 2016 at 1:04:36 AM on 10.0.2.226 in 835 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.