Keeping Rugs From Slipping

Roaming area or throw rugs can be annoying. Keeping them from slipping can be tricky depending on the surface they are on. This is a guide about keeping rugs from slipping.

October 1, 2009 Flag

My husband scored several new oriental style rugs. The problem is that the smaller area rugs slipped on our linoleum flooring. I solved that problem by buying an inexpensive roll of brown foam shelving liner and cutting it up into rectangles to put two under each rug at each end to anchor them. One cheap roll ($1.50) was enough for four area rugs.

Pamela M. from Hollywood, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To solve the problem of a throw rug that slips & slides, is silicone caulk!!! The Caulk can be stinky so you might want to do this outdoors or in a well ventilated area, but just grab the caulk gun, and make strips of caulk on the back of the rug, while its still wet, press the caulk down with a butter knife... Something straight & metal & kind of push the caulk into the bottom of the rug, let it dry for 24 hours & once fully dried, you no longer have a slippery rug. It works wonderfully!!!

I used my wife's yoga mat. It works great and she will never find her yoga mat.

Read More Comments...

July 22, 2013 Flag

I can guarantee that this works. Rugs on hard floors stop slipping if you roll masking tape (the kind that vehicle painters use, which can be bought at any hardware store) at least 5 times around your hand and apply to each corner of the rug. The tape will not damage any tiles or even wooden flooring

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm trying to understand what your directions mean as far as rolling the tape around your hand five times? Are you just looking to get five layers (of strips) for each corner? Also, is this the kind of automotive tape you are referring to? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d ... 685_-1_-1&pt=N0685&ppt=C0404

Would love to try this, but am hoping for some clarification first. TIA.

this worked for me, good idea, and why didn't i think of that.

Read More Comments...

June 12, 2012 Flag

To keep rugs from sliding: Instead of buying those expensive mats, you can use a roll of the rubber shelf liner you can buy at the dollar store.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 9, 2016 Flag

What can I use to stop rugs slipping and curling on a carpet?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we have runners on a carpet which is on a concrete floor, cannot keep runners still.

What can I use to stop rugs moving on carpet

Thanks Caroline

February 24, 2015 Flag

I bought some rubber shelf padding to put under the rug, it works good, but it is such a pain when I have to lift the rug to set my dishwasher in place. Is there a spray to put on the back of none slip rugs?

By D M J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are products that attach to the corners of rugs to reduce rug movement. Check online or at carpeting and big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

I tried this but they stuck to the floor and came off of the rug.

Don't waste your $$ on the the "corner grippers". They move, leave marks, stick to the floor but not the rug, etc. If you want to try them, pay the shipping & I'll gladly mail them to you. They come in a pack of 4 & I have 5-7 pkgs. The brand is "ruggies"

Yep! Same here!

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2014 Flag

I have 15 rugs on my hardwood floors. I am trying to secure them from moving around especially with my four dogs. I tried almost everything I find in the stores, but nothing has worked.

By Cassidy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take each rug and put it on a table upside down. With a hot glue gun, make a "lazy S" around the edges and then crisscross several times in the center. Once dried, it will make a good non-slide backing. However, if for some reason the fabric doesn't like the glue I would try it with one rug first. Hope that helps.

This is the best idea!

I've tried everything, trust me, I'm 56.

I was using industrial spray adhesive, it worked, but like everything else, not for long.

Hot glue strip like on the bottom of slippers! It will stick to the rug, I'm going to go do it right now to my favorite rug that the rubber backing came off of!

Thanks!!

I just bought a glue gun & glue sticks! Praying that this will take care of the slipping rugs on my daddy's Linoleum Floors! We have tried so many products & doesn't seem to adhere to the backing of the rugs! Thank you for the post :)

What do you actually mean by "Lazy S"?

Read More Answers...

March 12, 2016 Flag

What can I use to cheaply keep rugs from slipping on a carpet?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dollar tree has a Non-Slip Rug Underlay. It works well on wood and tile or linoleum floors. It may work on carpet as well.

September 26, 2011 Flag

What is a cheap or free way to get small rugs to stay in place on the floor? How about rugs? I appreciate any ideas, as my rugs are sliding and wrinkling and I don't have the money yet to get what I need. Thanks.

By Hilary from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

All great ideas. I use Duct Tape and make a circle around my four fingers, making sure it adhere's to it'self. Then I put some on all four corners or if it's oval/round, in the center and on four or five other places.

You will have to replace it about every three months, but that's a small price to pay for rungs that won't slip.

Good luck. PBP

I was going to suggest the rubber shelf/drawer liners that Omanana mentioned. I even used a wide one of those cut to fit to keep from slipping in my shower.

An earlier post said the shelf liner discoloured the floor. 

after many trials and errors, here is what worked for me. first, lay down several strips of rug tape. I got some rolls of 2.5" from Walmart and made sure to go in both directions. Then I got double-sided Duck Tape and laid that ON TOP of the rug tape. the rug tape will protect the carpet from the very sticky/grippy Duck Tape. now lay down the runner rug. hasn't moved in three days.

Read More Answers...

August 11, 2011 Flag

Keeping your rug in place is important to prevent falls. Here are a few options for keeping area rugs in place:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 18, 2015 Flag

We have a runner leading into our living room. We bought the non-slip tape that you can get that attaches itself to the rug and then grips to the carpet, but that does not work for us. Our dog loves to run in that area (hence the rug), so we need something that will really keep it down. I'm doubtful about the shelf liner because the anti-slip tape has that kind of look and feel to it.

By Nikki A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a product that is sticky like carpet tape, but comes in a sheet so you can cover the whole bottom of the rug with it. I have used it and it works pretty well. Nothing seems to last forever. This worked for about a year and then I replaced it. It had picked up enough dirt and fibers that it didn't stick well any more.

January 14, 2013 Flag

I have a large braided rug in front of my door, on the hard wood flooring. It keeps sliding around everywhere except where I want it to stay?

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The rolled mats in dollar stores for shelf liners - are rubberized. Cut to fit the rug, or cut to place under where the foot meets the rug initially. Try that. Also works between mattress and box springs to keep them from sliding apart. Good stuff!

I used two small sink mats that have suctions on the bottom. They are like bathtub mats but are smaller and it works great!

January 8, 2014 Flag

We have carpet in our kitchen (I know, crazy!). We have throw rugs in front of the range and sink. How can we keep them from creeping on the carpet?

By BJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lowe's has a roll of plastic with teeth you can buy as much as you want off roll in different colors, just wipe clean. Years ago mom had it down our long hallway.

July 26, 2013 Flag

I have a long rug runner over my wall to wall carpeting from my front door to my TV room to cut down on dirt being tracked into the house. The runner slides constantly. I tried a rubberized mat underneath, but it did not work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

By Monica

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Double-sided rug tape won't help much. You need hook strips like the carpet layers use for anchoring wall-to-wall carpet. You nail or screw the strip through the carpet to the floor underneath. Don't worry about damage to the carpet. A few tiny nail holes won't make any difference and will never be visible.

Do that at both ends, hook the carpet at one end, then stretch it as hard s you can and hook it at the other end. Carpet layers use knee-kickers for stretching the carpet. You can rent those at Home Depot.

That method holds all your wall-to-wall carpets in place and is quite reliable.

Have fun!

DearWebby

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJuly 11, 2011
Photo of a colorful area rug.
Color Advice for Area Rugs
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Area Rug in Dining Room
Area Rug Tips
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎉
🎄