Browsing: Keeping Rugs From Slipping

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Rugs From Slipping

Roaming area or throw rugs can be annoying. Keeping them from slipping can be tricky depending on the surface they are on. This is a guide about keeping rugs from slipping.

A rug sitting on a wood floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 1, 2009 Flag

My husband scored several new oriental style rugs. The problem is that the smaller area rugs slipped on our linoleum flooring. I solved that problem by buying an inexpensive roll of brown foam shelving liner and cutting it up into rectangles to put two under each rug at each end to anchor them. One cheap roll ($1.50) was enough for four area rugs.

Pamela M. from Hollywood, CA

July 22, 2013 Flag

I can guarantee that this works. Rugs on hard floors stop slipping if you roll masking tape (the kind that vehicle painters use, which can be bought at any hardware store) at least 5 times around your hand and apply to each corner of the rug. The tape will not damage any tiles or even wooden flooring

June 12, 2012 Flag

To keep rugs from sliding: Instead of buying those expensive mats, you can use a roll of the rubber shelf liner you can buy at the dollar store.

By Carmen from Daytona Beach, FL

May 9, 2016 Flag

What can I use to stop rugs slipping and curling on a carpet?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we have runners on a carpet which is on a concrete floor, cannot keep runners still.

February 24, 2015 Flag

I bought some rubber shelf padding to put under the rug, it works good, but it is such a pain when I have to lift the rug to set my dishwasher in place. Is there a spray to put on the back of none slip rugs?

By D M J

There are products that attach to the corners of rugs to reduce rug movement. Check online or at carpeting and big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

I tried this but they stuck to the floor and came off of the rug.

Don't waste your $$ on the the "corner grippers". They move, leave marks, stick to the floor but not the rug, etc. If you want to try them, pay the shipping & I'll gladly mail them to you. They come in a pack of 4 & I have 5-7 pkgs. The brand is "ruggies"

Yep! Same here!

March 12, 2016 Flag

What can I use to cheaply keep rugs from slipping on a carpet?

Dollar tree has a Non-Slip Rug Underlay. It works well on wood and tile or linoleum floors. It may work on carpet as well.

August 19, 2014 Flag

I have 15 rugs on my hardwood floors. I am trying to secure them from moving around especially with my four dogs. I tried almost everything I find in the stores, but nothing has worked.

By Cassidy

I have wood laminate and use the carpet pads you put under the rugs. Works for me.

Take each rug and put it on a table upside down. With a hot glue gun, make a "lazy S" around the edges and then crisscross several times in the center. Once dried, it will make a good non-slide backing. However, if for some reason the fabric doesn't like the glue I would try it with one rug first. Hope that helps.

This is the best idea!

I've tried everything, trust me, I'm 56.

I was using industrial spray adhesive, it worked, but like everything else, not for long.

Hot glue strip like on the bottom of slippers! It will stick to the rug, I'm going to go do it right now to my favorite rug that the rubber backing came off of!

Thanks!!

September 26, 2011 Flag

What is a cheap or free way to get small rugs to stay in place on the floor? How about rugs? I appreciate any ideas, as my rugs are sliding and wrinkling and I don't have the money yet to get what I need. Thanks.

By Hilary from Boston, MA

All great ideas. I use Duct Tape and make a circle around my four fingers, making sure it adhere's to it'self. Then I put some on all four corners or if it's oval/round, in the center and on four or five other places.

You will have to replace it about every three months, but that's a small price to pay for rungs that won't slip.

Good luck. PBP

I was going to suggest the rubber shelf/drawer liners that Omanana mentioned. I even used a wide one of those cut to fit to keep from slipping in my shower.

An earlier post said the shelf liner discoloured the floor. 

after many trials and errors, here is what worked for me. first, lay down several strips of rug tape. I got some rolls of 2.5" from Walmart and made sure to go in both directions. Then I got double-sided Duck Tape and laid that ON TOP of the rug tape. the rug tape will protect the carpet from the very sticky/grippy Duck Tape. now lay down the runner rug. hasn't moved in three days.

August 11, 2011 Flag

Keeping your rug in place is important to prevent falls. Here are a few options for keeping area rugs in place:

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJuly 11, 2011
Photo of a colorful area rug.
Color Advice for Area Rugs
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Area Rug in Dining Room
Area Rug Tips
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 10:30:32 PM on 10.0.2.19 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.