Browsing: Identifying Small Brown Bugs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Identifying Small Brown Bugs

Determining what kind of insect pest you have, will help you find the best way to get rid of them. This guide is about identifying small brown bugs.

weevil on a leaf
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 20, 2010 Flag

I found some bugs in my son's bedding today. I was afraid they were bed bugs, but after looking at some pics I am pretty sure they are not. I would still like to know what they are.

They are about 4mm long, elongated, dark brown on the ends and light brown or cream in the middle, but they are not segmented. They have a lot of legs. They kind of remind me of a pill bug, but much smaller and a different color, or maybe a weevil, but I did not find them around food. Please help.

By DJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks. They do look like the carpet beetle larvae pictures I found. I put the three I found in a jar and am going to try to feed them until they mature to make sure that is what they are. In the meantime, I will be cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. :)

If they have more than 6 legs, they are not insects but another sort of critter. Spiders and mites have 8 legs, but I am pretty sure they all have a spidery look to them. If it has more than 8 legs, it is a millipede or centipede of some sort. If they have legs, they are not a larva, but are an adult critter of some sort.

Hello again, I just looked up carpet beetles, and saw the pictures of the larva. I can see why, if this is what you had, you would call the "hairs" legs, as they look like that although they are not really legs. Here is the link to the site that I found that gives some good info about them. We do not have them here in Saskatchewan, thank goodness.

http://www.bugclinic.com/carpet_beetle.htm

Still feeding the little buggers. I live in Arkansas, and we have Crepe Myrtles, there are a lot in this area. I found some info on Carpet Beetles and it seems they like Crepe Myrtles, so I guess it is inevitable that we would have a few.

Read More Answers...

November 22, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know what these are? They are little brown bugs that look kind of like beetles. They have wings and I think they come in through the back door. They tend to stay in the kitchen and have never been spotted upstairs.

By Megan from OH

Probably either cigarette beetles or drugstore beetles coming from pantry food; crackers, biscuit mix, even dry dog food. Usually something that is old and been around awhile.

Pantry bugs. I had a horrible infestation years ago in our apartment. You'll need to throw out all flour and pasta items you may have in there. Once your pantry is empty, you can spray insecticide (roach spray will do) to kill them. Scrub the pantry thoroughly with soap and water. It's a good idea to store your pasta items and flour in plastic containers to prevent them to from getting into your food again.

I think this what we call stink bugs. I am infested with them this past summer and this winter . If you squash them, they stink real bad. I don't know how to get rid of them. Help from anyone.

l tried Cedarcide on some ants last summer and was happy to get rid of that problem. It was really annoying the way they crawled onto the windowsill and onto my computer. I just sprayed the windowsill and window and they stopped coming and some died as I sprayed them.

It's supposed to be good for all insects. Haven't had a chance to use it on any other bugs. It is completely non-toxic to people. I ordered it over the internet because I heard an ad on the radio. It's good for use on everything except plants.

March 1, 2013 Flag

What is this bug? It is small, brown, smooth backed, with a small crack down the center. It dies easily when upsidedown.

By Becky from Bryan, OH

They sound like flour weevils. Go thru your shelves for products containing flour (old cake mix, cereal etc.) Get rid of all of them and store your flour in plastic containers with a tight lid. The weevils come in flour products. If products are left sitting on the shelf long enough they hatch and reproduce. I cleaned out my pantry and never saw them again.

Without a photo it's kind of hard. But here is a google search of a weevil and it it's the right one, you will know.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wee ... ed=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=677

July 9, 2013 Flag

I have quite a few tiny little "spiders", orangey brown in colour, in my toilet bowl. When I flush, they come back and seem to be trying to get out. What are they and are they dangerous/do they bite?
Thanks.

By Janet S.

I don't know what they could be but I would spray right now! Yikes, never heard of such a thing!

September 18, 2010 Flag

I found two dead, small light brown, oval shaped bugs in the crease of my mattress and one alive. There is no sign of any other bugs. What could they be?

By Ty from San Diego, CA

Since I have been seeing on TV there is an epidemic of bedbugs, you might want to take a look at this picture. This is a bedbug. If your bugs look like this you may want to check out the site, as there is lots of info on what to do if you discover them in your home, and how to prevent an infestation in your home. They are easily carried in from motels, movie theaters, etc.

Copy this in your browser to see more information.

http://www.medicinenet.com/bed_bugs/article.htm

Hope this helps,

Harlean from Arkansas

They are probably bed bugs. Check along the baseboards behind the bed too, at the top of the baseboard. Lift up your mattresses and box springs and check around the bed frame too.

Brenda

March 30, 2011 Flag

I have little brown bugs around my toilet. They move very slowly and look like ticks.

By Jim

If you can post a picture of one it will be easier. If you dont have that ability capture one in a bottle and take it to your local agricultural office,home improvement place or find someone big into bugs (I talked to a guy at a University once about praying mantis).

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsMarch 6, 2013
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:47:11 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 986 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.