Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Shoney's Cabbage-Beef Soup

This is our very favorite soup, and is surprisingly easy and fun to make. It doesn't require a long cooking time before being ready to eat. Very nourishing, delicious, and fresh tasting. If you don't like a particular vegetable, you could leave it out and it'd still be a good soup. It makes a lot, and keeps for a couple of days in the refrigerator. Just take out the amount you want to eat or serve and heat it, leaving the rest in the fridge.

• 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 lbs. good lean ground beef
  • 3 large onions, chopped small
  • 3-4 carrots, chopped small
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 ribs celery including leaves, chopped small
  • 6 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
  • 3 large potatoes, chopped small
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2/3 large head of cabbage, shredded then chopped.
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 (29 oz.) can diced or stewed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 Tbsp. instant beef bouillon
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Worcestershire or Soy Sauce (optional)

Directions:

In a large soup pot over medium heat, brown lean ground beef in olive oil. Do not drain. Peel all vegetables. You can chop them by the time they're ready to go into the pot. (Read all the directions).

When beef is nicely browned (about 15 minutes), begin adding vegetables. While beef is browning, chop carrots very small.

Add chopped carrots and stir. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Chop and add celery and stir. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Chop and add potatoes and stir. Cover and cook 6 minutes. Chop and add garlic, parsley, chopped red pepper and stir. Cover and cook 3 minutes.

Add dark red kidney beans. Stir, cover and cook for 2 minutes.

Add tomatoes, sugar, water, beef bouillon, and stir. Cover and cook 5 minutes.

Chop very small and add cabbage and stir. Cover and cook 5-6 minutes. Taste and correct salt and pepper.

If you like, add 1-2 Tbsp. Worcestershire or soy sauce. Stir, and put the cover on the pot. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Soup is ready to eat.

This soup is wonderful all by itself, but best of all when served with nice hot buttered cornbread.

Servings: 20 or more
Time: 30 Minutes Preparation Time
about 60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Manager Friend at Shoney's Big Boy Restaurant in Knoxville, TN

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By meloney02/19/2011

I'm making this soup over the weekend. I just found it, but I have everything on hand already except the cabbage and the ground beef. I'm taking your advice and making cornbread to go with it too. It really sounds so fresh and good. I'll let
you know. Thanks.

SuziQ 9

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]02/16/2011

Yum, sounds delicious! Hugs, Jo

By Keeper [57]02/16/2011

This recipe warms me up just reading it.Adding cornbread with it is even better.Now I have all my silverware ready for your soup,cornbread and Valentine Sweetheart cake.:)
Thanks for another wonderful recipe.
Sandie

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.