Old Dog Peeing in House

Our dog has started peeing inside, she doesn't know she is doing it. She is a 10 year old cross Jack Russell.

By Alex from Bradford, UK

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Please take your fur baby to the vet ASAP because this is more than likely a serious health issue!

There are so many possible causes for this that it would be impossible to give advice. You really need a Vet to exclude fixable problems before deciding on what you need to do. 10 years old is not all that old for a small dog. Your chances of having a treatable medical condition here are high. Anyway, what Deeli said. Good luck.

It's possible your dog has a UTI, bladder infection, etc. Something an antibodic could clear. Have your vet check your baby out. That way, if it's not one of the above, he can look for other possibilities.

This is simply part of "old age" that can happen to any of us. Irrespective of age please consult with your Veterinarian this could be a uninary tract infection or any number of things. They will precribe the correct treatment.

Good luck.

This could be a hormone imbalance too. When my female german shepherd cross was 12 months old, she started to pee in her sleep. It was after she had been sterilised and the vet said it was due to a hormone imbalance. The vet was a wholistic practice and they did accupuncture on her to fix it.

They told me that if she was an older dog they just would have given her hormone replacement, but preferred to do accupuncture on a younger dog.

Hello, Please take your fur-baby to his veterinarian for an exam. He could possibly have a urinary track infection. Your Vet will do a urinalysis to determine the appropriate method of treatment.

Answer

My oldest dog has started peeing on my bedroom floor. He has never done this. He's 13yrs old, but you wouldn't know it in how he plays outside. I want to take him to the vet, but am a little strapped for cash. Any over the counter meds I could get him from Petsmart or Petco?

By loneladywolf5

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My older dog does the same thing, I keep a blanket in the living room and one in the bedroom, for her to sleep on, I keep a third one clean so I can change them out when needed, but unfortunately she does not always lay on the blankets, so the carpet gets it too. I then get the carpet scrubber out. I was getting a med at Tractor supply, and just when it began to work we could no longer find it.

Read More Answers...

Dog peeking out from under blanket.I have two 9 year old Border Terriers and one of them (not sure which) has started to pee in the house, mainly in the same area in the kitchen. They even do it when we are in the house. They have their own dog door. How can we stop this? They are both neutered males. Do you think crating them would help?

By Sue S

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, 9 years is getting up there. a urinary infection could be happening, have a vet check him. Kenneling him at this stage might feel like punishment. also go to ebay and check out dog belly bands. They are wonderful and all you have to do is put a womans pad in the band and velcro closed around the waist and his privates. You can pick up a sack of 48 pads at your local Walmart, dollar general, etc. for around 4.00 but please still have him checked. The test is simple and relatively cheap at your local humane society.

Read More Answers...

I have a 10 year old Lab that is peeing in the house. It is always on her bed. I have changed the bed thinking once done that she will not do it again. She did on the new bed. I have taken her to the vet and her health is good (bloodwork and urine work). She is outside all day with her buddy, but she will go within 30 minutes of being in the house. I now keep her in the mud room and even put a puppy pad down. She still pees on the bed. Now she gets nothing. Help.

By Doris

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a common problem. Your dog is not aware she is being naughty. In fact she is may not be aware of what is happening. Doggie diapers are not expensive and work very well. Dogs don't seem to mind wearing them. Some are quite fashionable.

Read More Answers...

My miniature Yorkie is 13 years of age and has started peeing constantly in the house. She goes out and pees on demand when told even though she has done two or three large puddles in the house. We are constantly putting her outside every time she gets out of her bed. She has stopped asking to go out, but yaps quite loud to come back in. Has anyone got any answers to this problem?

By W M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It does sound like diabetes, or kidney disease. Both are treatable, and your dog can continue to enjoy life. See the Vet ASAP and good luck to you.

Read More Answers...

My 15 year old Maltese has recently started leaving surprises "poop and pee" when left alone a few hours, and first thing in the morning. We take her outside to do her thing, but she still has the indoor accidents. We recently changed her feed to a senior brand. But she did have some accidents with the previous food, just not that often. Is this age related and how can we prevent this from continuing?
Thanks.

By Angelo

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, of course this an be related to getting older. Please make an appointment with your fur babie's veterinarian for a senior examination. Your Vet will advice you on how to care for your baby at an older age. Please do not scold him/her for this action it is not their fault. Good luck.

Our 12 year old dog started peeing in the house. She does not do it all of the time, only when we leave. She can go all day and night and not have an accident; once we leave she does.

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your fur baby to the Veterinarian for an exam. Ask your Vet to do a urinalysis to find out if anything is going on. Your baby is probably due for his senior exam anyway. A senior exam is very important to older dogs. Your vet can tell you many things that you can do to make your baby more comfortable. Good luck

I have a 12 year old male Dachshund who will go outside and go to the bathroom and then has come back in and urinated inside. A couple times it has been big amounts, and then just small amounts other times.

By Beth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The older dog that's peeing in house may be having kidney problems please have it checked out. When they start getting older, it's one first things goes on older dog. My dog never peed in the house. He got cataracts then started wetting everywhere. I called the vet. They put him sleep so would not suffer anymore. One of the worst things I've had do. Or it could be kidney infection. Hope this helps, Cookie 17

My 11 year old dog who has always been able to to hold it even up to 16 hours, has now started peeing in the house. On everything! I have had to rip up the carpet he has peed on it so much, but then he just finds a new spot.

He has always alerted me when he needs to go out, but not now. In fact last night he peed on the laundry. Two days ago he stood right in front of me and peed on the tile. I am overwhelmed. He does not have an infection and I am at my wits end. I live alone so I have no one to let him out when I am at work. I have a lab who has been with him for years so it is not a new pet. Please some advice?

By Jeanie

Old Dog Peeing in House

Are you kidding me! 16 hours! Take him to the vet for a urinalysis. Don't let him go that long, it is not healthy, for him or anyone else. (06/22/2010)

By K9cats

Old Dog Peeing in House

It is possible for dogs to experience incontinence due to age. They do make doggy diapers. Being as how he is not notifying you may mean that he can't control it either because he has no idea when it is going to happen. Take him to the vet A.S.A.P. so that they can diagnose it properly. :) Good luck and give him a treat, it's not his fault. :( (06/23/2010)

By abrupt_silence

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My 9 year old Chihuahua has decided to go to the bathroom wherever she wants in my house, besides her potty pad. She has been potty pad trained all her life.

I don't know how to get her out of this habit. I have scolded her a couple times and found out through research that it is the wrong thing to do. So I won't be doing that anymore. I hate it anyway. I hope I haven't scared her now. I need some advice how to deal with this problem. I love my little baby.

By Jennifer from Cincinnati, OH

Old Dog Peeing in House

Since this is a new behavior, it might be best for you to consult with her vet, to rule out any medical problems. If her health is good, the vet might be able to give you some good advice to change the behavior. Best of luck! (03/02/2010)

By mrs.story

Old Dog Peeing in House

Your dog needs to be seen by a vet. She could have a urinary tract infection, which will cause this behavior. Also, older spayed dogs often develop urinary incontinence which can be treated with a medication called Proin. (03/06/2010)

By beemeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 14 year old Yorkie. He is house trained. Lately he wants to pee on the carpet, but not all the time. He uses the papers mostly. How can I make him stop using the living room carpet to pee on?

By ent from Bardstown, KY

Old Dog Peeing in House

If this is a new behavior, it might be best to consult with your vet, to help rule out any medical issues. Best of luck! (01/28/2010)

By mrs.story

Old Dog Peeing in House

I had a seal point cat that was 12 and he started doing the same. I took him to the vet. The vet told me his kidneys were failing. Just have him checked with the vet. (01/28/2010)

By shellmax

Old Dog Peeing in House

Many older dogs lose control of their bladder or like previously stated, simply have failing kidneys. Many people especially with tiny dogs will use a 'belly band' to absorb any accidents. Wishing you and your little man the best! (01/30/2010)

By caninecodependent

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog is now 12 years old. In dog years she's 84. On the the outside she still seems fit, jumping off the couch or onto it, climbing the steps. Even though she's just a little slow with it, she can still do it. We let her outside to potty, and usually when she had to go, she would scratch by the door and wait for someone to open it.

For the past year she hasn't been scratching by the door, she's been using the potty everywhere in our house. It stayed mainly in our dining room, but now it's wherever she's at. It's even to the point where I catch her in the act and she doesn't care. She finishes and she's on her way. I know she is old and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but its very frustrating. Any tips?

Ann

Old Dog Peeing in House

I had a similar problem, my dog was unable to get out the doggie door when she was old. I timed her from drinking to needing to pee. After drinking and the necessary time passed I took her outside until she did her business. I kept a minimal amount of water in her bowl unless someone was around to take her outside. Your dog may have problems that you are not aware of, incontinence, etc. It is not their fault and they need help in their golden years. (09/29/2005)

By Dennis

Old Dog Peeing in House

We had an older female and used child's diaper on her when in the house; it worked wonders. I just had to remember to catch her before she went out. May also talk to vet about medication for incontinence in females.
Love her, try to understand, but it is frustrating to deal with a mess. (09/29/2005)

By Sandy

Old Dog Peeing in House

It may be as simple as getting her a hormone shot if she has been spayed. That was the problem with my older dog. I think you should talk to her vet for advice. Good luck. (09/29/2005)

By Kathy

Old Dog Peeing in House

When my elderly female dog began peeing in the house the vet put her on Premarin. It took awhile, but it sure helped her get her control back. (09/29/2005)

By Seagrape

Old Dog Peeing in House

She needs to be seen by your Vet of choice. Sounds like she has an UTI or other physical problem. (09/30/2005)

By SNIGDIBBLY

Old Dog Peeing in House

My old girl (Collie Shepherd x) is 16 and the vet put her on Metacam liquid in her food once a day and you would not believe the difference from the stiff, slow, sleeping dog. Still almost deaf and has cataracts, but now plays with the cat and other dog, as to incontinence she goes out several times a night and woofs to wake me. Once in awhile it is a poop in the kitchen, but about 8 times in 16 years in not bad
We will keep her until it is time to go. (09/30/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

Old Dog Peeing in House

Unfortunately, incontinence happens in old age. Think about elderly folks. The bladder weakens with age, is no longer strong and elastic and the urine just leaks out. There are products on the market for this problem for people who suffer from incontinence such as Depends. Sadly, our dogs suffer some of the same medical issues as humans and incontinence is one of them.

I am guessing that a dog with this problem cannot stop the "flow" and just stands there until he or she is finished. I guess we will just have to buy doggie diapers for our beloved friends and deal with it as best we can until they are no longer with us. It's the least we can do for all the unconditional love they have given us throughout their lifetime. (08/11/2006)

By Anonymous

Old Dog Peeing in House

If your dog has changed his peeing habits and needs to learn where not to pee, I suggest you try PeeAway, it's a pet odor neutralizer and pet urine deterrent. They say that once it is applied, it is suppose to keep your pets from peeing in that area. They say it acts like an invisible shield, just a suggestion. (09/03/2007)

By Susan

Old Dog Peeing in House

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to respond in hopes that this information helps someone who views it.

A few weeks ago, my Chocolate Lab started peeing in the house. He was getting old and was struggling a little to get up so I just assumed that it was age and something that we would have to deal with. I did a brief look online to see if there were any comments and found the typical threads (like this) and a few that said it should be something to check with a vet about.

Unfortunately I was convinced that this was just his "age" since nothing seemed unusual, and there were no signs of "pain" or major discomfort. The peeing stayed the same, but his condition changed rapidly. On Monday I took him in to the vet and found out that diabetes was the cause and the advanced stage and condition forced us to make the decision to put him to sleep.

I'm not sure if an immediate visit to the vet would have changed anything, but our family lost a great friend. I just wish that I would have seen a post like this to convince me that it was worth a quick trip to the vet.
(01/10/2008)

By Mark

Old Dog Peeing in House

I volunteer with Bichon rescue and always foster and adopt older and/or special needs dogs. There could be lots of reasons for their peeing in the house, including epilepsy, sudden urge to pee and no time to make it outside, a bladder infection, Cushing's, or diabetes. Or it could just be incontinence to due to age, just like humans. I'd take her/him to the vet immediately for a checkup and tests. It's expensive, I know, but there are medications and special diets for all of the above. Don't give up, please. And please don't use Premarin, as this is manufactured by tortuous means to pregnant mares (Pregnant mare urine = Premarin). There are other plant-based hormones that will work better and don't require animal cruelty in their manufacturing. (01/10/2008)

By never2late2learn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Old black dog.
Old Dog Peeing in House
Pets Dogs House TrainingApril 25, 2011
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 12:03:54 PM on 10.0.1.62 in 359 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.