Getting Rid of Brown Recluse Spiders

I need something safe to dogs and humans but that will kill and get rid of brown recluse, brown widow and wolf spiders.

Carol from St. Petersburg, FL

Best Answer

I just saw on a program that said to get rid of spiders to put eucalyptus in all the door ways. They did not say what kind of spiders but said they hate the smell of it and leave. If is doesn't work all you will be left with is the spiders but a nice smelling house!

Best Answer

Mice glue boards around the base boards will help. Move all wood 10 feet from home. Reduce the amount of foliage around home. Dust all hole/cracks with with pesticide powder.

http://www.term  ntification.html get to know your foe.

Mow grass short and move mulch 6 inches from the foundation. If there are other insects around, the spiders will follow them. Both Brown Recluse and Wolf/Grass spiders are hunters, they go looking for food.

Plano,TX

For general guides to spider species and their dangers (or lack thereof), I recommend the University of Washington Burke Museum website on spider myths and facts, run by Rod Crawford, a lefelong arachnidologist. http://www.wash  seum/spidermyth/ In particular, a map on the site shows there are NO (repeat, zero) brown recluse spiders in Florida.

Just because a website said there are no Brown Recluse spiders in Florida, I wouldn't necessarily believe it. We were told there were none in San Francisco, yet my granddaughter spent two weeks in the hospital, deathly ill, after being bitten by one. Its poison has permanently damaged her immune system. We had captured the spider and the SF Zoo identified it as such, to their amazement. Evidently, they can be carried coast to coast and border to border by travelers, movers, all kinds of trucking companies. This is a truly nasty spider. Its poison has permanently damaged her immune system. You need to get a professional in to rid your house of them; they know how to protect your pets.

I've lived in Fla. since '82, and I can tell you there are definitely brown recluse spiders here! They come into the house if there's a bad storm, and we frequently find them around the barns. I was bitten by one just before Christmas in a shoe store a few years ago. Wish you were right, peseta. For great spider info, check your local co-operative extension website. Very helpful!