Getting Rid of Brown Recluse Spiders Safely

Please help. We have the brown recluse spiders each fall, sometimes about 200. We have small children in our home. Is there anything besides sticky traps that we can use to make our home safe from these monsters? We constantly clean our home, but that doesn't help.

By Matt

Sounds like you need to get down on your knees & plug up any holes around your house or inside cabinets. Also never leave any doors open!

I googled "Brown Recluse Control" and it gave me tons of information. I am sure you will be able to get through the season.

I don't trust anything with no legs or more than four. It just isn't natural!
PBP

Brown recluse love cardboard and often hide in the spaces in corregated cardboard boxes, so it's next to impossible to find them. They also will find their way in through air vents, furnace ducts, attic pull downs, crawl spaces, etc.

Unfortunately, it's near impossible to keep them from finding their way inside if you live in an area that has them. Telling someone to keep doors closed and plug holes might keep mice or stray dogs away, but unfortunately won't work on tiny spiders.

Lavender is a repellant for spiders and crickets. If you have a lavender plant or know someone who does put branches on any windowsills.

Also Max Raid has no odor and works for a long period of time to kill a lot of insects including spiders. Spray around all entry ways inside and out. Also spray the basement or crawl space thoroughly.

I live in Macon, Ga and in April I rescued an abandoned, year old cat. He is a nice addition to my family and he is awesome at killing, spiders, palmetto bugs, flies and any other bug around.

I didn't know that cats did that but it makes sense because they are meat eaters. So from my experience, plus having a bug free home, I would suggest getting a cat.

Wipe down window casings and moldings with pure pinesol.