Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy - Categories:

AdviceDogs

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

What do I feed a 6 week red nose Pit Bull?

By Guy from Brooklyn, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I used to raise Lab puppies and I always kept a big bowl in my fridge with dry puppy food and dry milk mix. Within a day, the milk will soak into the food and make it soft enough for the puppy. You can also soak dry puppy food in puppy milk that you can get from Wal-Mart or a pet store.

I like to mix a good puppy food with some evaporated milk, and a little bit of Karo syrup the light kind and one drop of infant vitamins if you have it. I put a 1/4 teaspoon or less olive oil in this, also.

I also put in a couple teaspoons of real mayonnaise, if he can't chew up the moist food. This is a good all around formula for kittens and puppies minus any solid food.

If they ever seem dehydrated give a little home made Pedialyte with it for them.

Soon they will be eating all they can get and you can gradually decrease the evaporated milk and just use water. After they get on solid food, then it is time to let them go through a pill pocket a day until the whole package is gone and put one drop of infant vitamins in one pill pocket per day. They will have a really good start that way.

This is what I do.

May 10, 2012 Flag

I have a 6 week old puppy and he will not eat at all. I have mixed some puppy food up with warm water, but he threw it back up. It's been two days and I can't take him to the vet until next week. So I was going to try to feed him with goat milk and bottle feed him until I'm able to get him the proper food. Can somebody help me? He is a mix breed Maltese with Yorkie and Chihuahua.

By Ms Dinkins from Columbus, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hopefully you've found something that works since you posted your request!

It sounds as though he wasn't completely weaned when he was separated from his mum. (Also, in those breeds, their stomachs are very small so he likely threw up because he overloaded his tummy.) The smaller canine breeds shouldn't be weaned un-naturally, Mum should do the weaning, and it usually isn't until a small breed puppy is about 8-12 weeks that the job is successfully accomplished.

How's the goat milk working out? You can buy milk replacement powder at most groceries with a good pet aisle, also I've seen it in WalMart, and of course PetsMart.

You can try moistening puppy kibble in very small amounts with the reconstituted milk replacement to get him eating 'real' food, but make sure to supervise his eating-dogs, gotta love them, but they will eat far beyond the signals from their brain that the tummy is full.

If he throws up again immediately after eating, clean him up and then offer him a much smaller amount of food right away because the act of throwing up will have completely emptied his stomach.

Good luck, and please update us so we know he is ok!

Hi!

I am concerned your little puppy may be sick. I would get him to a vet asap, don't wait till next week. Good luck, I hope I am wrong.

May 17, 2010 Flag

I have a 6 week old red nose Pit Bull. I would like to know if I can start feeding it dry puppy food.

By Lisa from TX

Answers:

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

How sweet, we own a few Pits ourselves. Anyway, yes you can start feeding hard food, as soon as my pups were getting weaned I started softening hard food and get out their way. (02/11/2010)

By pitbullloverintexas

RE: Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Yes, puppy Science Diet (small bites ) are usually really good and small enough for her to eat them. (04/17/2010)

By JessBsweet3

February 10, 2010 Flag

What do I feed a six week old Lab/German Shepherd puppy?

Sandy

Answers:

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Most vets recommend leaving with mother until about 8 weeks, but lots of mothers wean younger so you can feed a high quality dry food which has been soaking in warm water for awhile, maybe a couple of hours. Let it get really soupy, put in in something like a pie plate and let them slop around in it. Gradually decrease the amount of water so that the pup is eventually eating dry food. This is better for the teeth and easier to manage, but that part wasn't your question. A good quality dog food is the answer. Not table scraps.(04/16/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I would say soft food with puppy milk replacer mixed in or the mommy's food which has been soaked in puppy replacer milk.

Robyn (04/17/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I hope you will find the following link helpful: veterinarypetcare.com.
If you have a question about anything, I truly believe you couldn't ask for better advice than from this vet. (04/17/2009)

By learning2

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

The pup can eat regular soft or watered down puppy food; high quality not a grocery store brand. (04/20/2009)

By knewton37

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I mix baby food with puppy food from the first time they eat dry food til they are about 8 weeks old. Remember they need a puppy food for the first year and should be fed a food that is formulated for large dogs so they don't grow too fast which can cause health problems later on down the line. (05/06/2009)

By lostinthe

April 16, 2009 Flag

What can I feed a six week old Pit Bull?

Nick

Answers:

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Tips from the ASPCA web site (link below):

Feeding:

• Puppies 8 to 12 weeks old need four meals a day.
  • Feed puppies three to six months old three meals a day.
  • Feed puppies six months to one year two meals a day.
  • When your dog reaches his first birthday, one to two meals a day is usually enough.
    For some dogs, including larger canines or those prone to bloat, it's better to feed two smaller meals.

Premium-quality dry food provides a well-balanced diet for adult dogs and may be mixed with water, broth or canned food. Your dog may enjoy cottage cheese, cooked egg, fruits and vegetables, but these additions should not total more than ten percent of his daily food intake.

Puppies should be fed a high-quality, brand-name puppy food. Please limit "people food," however, because it can result in vitamin and mineral imbalances, bone and teeth problems, and may cause very picky eating habits and obesity. Clean, fresh water should be available at all times, and be sure to wash food and water dishes frequently.

Do not feed: generic dog food, table scraps, cat food, real bones, table scraps, or milk (which can cause diarrhea).

Helpful web sites on puppy/dog care:
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_dogcare
    http://www.anticruelty.org/site/epage/36959_576.htm
    http://www.pawschicago.org/PetCare/puplove101.htm (11/05/2007)

By Victoria

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I'm presuming you haven't taken the puppy to the vet yet. You can ask at that time (or call and ask before the appointment). (11/06/2007)

By Maryeileen

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Wow. Six weeks is really kind of young to be away from the mother, but things do happen. There is a special milk replacement food for puppies that you can find from the vet or any place that sells pet products. We bought ours from a drugstore that specializes in a line of pet stuff. It's specially formulated for the puppies and contains everything they need to stay healthy. It's kind of expensive, but well worth it, even if you only use it for a couple of weeks or a few meals a day. (11/06/2007)

By susanmajp

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

If you have trouble with his tolerating puppy milk formula, look in the health food stores for goat milk, or ask at a feed store to see who has a milk goat. I had milking goats for years, and was in an active goat club, and everyone I ever met was happy to help someone with a baby animal who needed milk. Follow your vet's instructions of course, but keep goat milk in mind. Good luck! And by the way, read Cesar Millan ASAP to save the life of your dog, he knows pit bulls! (11/06/2007)

By kimhis

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I got a 6 week old puppy June 22. Her mom didn't have enough milk to feed her. She was weak. Now she is doing a lot better. (06/29/2008)

By dana

RE: Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I am in school to be a vet technician. Six weeks is young, but to compensate I suggest feeding soft food as well as bottle feeding goat milk. I did this to my American bulldog and he is huge and healthy, and I'm doing it now to my brand new 6 week old American bulldog:) Good luck! Go half and half with the goat milk and luke warm water.
    (02/03/2009)

By courtney

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 17, 2010
    Baby Bottle Feeding
    Bottle Feeding Your Baby
    Woman Weighing Herself
    Losing 5 Pounds in a Week
    5 Week Old Chihuahua Puppy
    Training a 5 Week Old Puppy
    Six Can Soup
    Six Can Soup Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 25, 2016 at 12:10:47 PM on 10.0.0.98 in 254 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.