Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy?

What do I feed a 6 week red nose Pit Bull?

By guy from Brooklyn, NY

Best Answer

I like to mix a good puppy food with some evaporated milk, and a little bit of Karo syrup the light kind and one drop of infant vitamins if you have it. I put a 1/4 teaspoon or less olive oil in this, also.

I also put in a couple teaspoons of real mayonnaise, if he can't chew up the moist food. This is a good all around formula for kittens and puppies minus any solid food.

If they ever seem dehydrated give a little home made Pedialyte with it for them.

Soon they will be eating all they can get and you can gradually decrease the evaporated milk and just use water. After they get on solid food, then it is time to let them go through a pill pocket a day until the whole package is gone and put one drop of infant vitamins in one pill pocket per day. They will have a really good start that way.

This is what I do.

Can soy milk be substituted for the evaporated milk?

I've been training and breeding dogs and service dogs for more than 30 years professionally and this is absolutely not a good idea at all. The reason this is such a bad and horrible idea is because dogs are lactose intolerant the milk that the mother dog produces does not have lactose in it this is why it is ok for them. I'm assuming and it's a pretty good assumption that your dog almost definitely had diarrhea and felt absolutely horrible during the time that you were giving it milk this is not a good idea nobody should do this if you're reading this do not give your dog milk unless it's a puppy milk substitute you get from your vet or some pet shops have it as well.

If you are going to give your dog any kind of milk at all which you shouldn't unless it's a puppy milk substitute from your vet or some pet shops have it as well the thing you absolutely must make sure of is that it does not have lactose in it dogs are lactose intolerant you will make them sick give them diarrhea and they will feel absolutely horrible I have been training and breeding dogs and service dogs for more than 30 years professionally and I can't stress enough how important it is ((NOT)) to give your puppy or dog of any age milk especially cow's milk basically anything that has lactose in it they are all lactose intolerant and they will all get sick if you give it to them anyways if you don't want to take my word for it I encourage you to contact your vet they will tell you the exact same thing.

I used to raise Lab puppies and I always kept a big bowl in my fridge with dry puppy food and dry milk mix. Within a day, the milk will soak into the food and make it soft enough for the puppy. You can also soak dry puppy food in puppy milk that you can get from Wal-Mart or a pet store.

I wss told to feed my 7 week old chihuahua puppy moosh dog food and 2 %milk no water is this right ?

Yes I would do the same.. Im a new puppy onwer and he is a new member of our little family.

I have a 6 week old puppy and he will not eat at all. I have mixed some puppy food up with warm water, but he threw it back up. It's been two days and I can't take him to the vet until next week. So I was going to try to feed him with goat milk and bottle feed him until I'm able to get him the proper food. Can somebody help me? He is a mix breed Maltese with Yorkie and Chihuahua.

By Ms Dinkins from Columbus, OH

Answers

Hopefully you've found something that works since you posted your request!

It sounds as though he wasn't completely weaned when he was separated from his mum. (Also, in those breeds, their stomachs are very small so he likely threw up because he overloaded his tummy.) The smaller canine breeds shouldn't be weaned un-naturally, Mum should do the weaning, and it usually isn't until a small breed puppy is about 8-12 weeks that the job is successfully accomplished.

How's the goat milk working out? You can buy milk replacement powder at most groceries with a good pet aisle, also I've seen it in WalMart, and of course PetsMart.

You can try moistening puppy kibble in very small amounts with the reconstituted milk replacement to get him eating 'real' food, but make sure to supervise his eating-dogs, gotta love them, but they will eat far beyond the signals from their brain that the tummy is full.

If he throws up again immediately after eating, clean him up and then offer him a much smaller amount of food right away because the act of throwing up will have completely emptied his stomach.

Good luck, and please update us so we know he is ok!

Hi!
I am concerned your little puppy may be sick. I would get him to a vet asap, don't wait till next week. Good luck, I hope I am wrong.

I've been training and breeding dogs and service dogs for more than 30 years professionally and I can't stress enough how important it is not to give a dog or puppy any kind of milk other than puppy milk substitute from either your vet or some pet shops have it milk with lactose in it is absolutely a horrible idea to give any dog or puppy all dogs not some but all dogs are lactose intolerant and you are absolutely give them diarrhea they'll feel absolutely horrible and is just bottom line the bad thing to do hopefully this is what you were suggesting it wasn't exactly clear but to anyone reading this in the future do not give your puppy or dogs anything that has lactose in it that completely eliminates cow's milk for most things you get from a lot of nonew pet stores

Answer this Question

I have a six week old Yorkie. How often do you feed?

By Kathy from Hillsboro, OH

Answer this Question

I have a 6 week old red nose Pit Bull. I would like to know if I can start feeding it dry puppy food.

By lisa from TX

Answers:

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

How sweet, we own a few Pits ourselves. Anyway, yes you can start feeding hard food, as soon as my pups were getting weaned I started softening hard food and get out their way. (02/11/2010)

By melanie

RE: Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Yes, puppy Science Diet (small bites ) are usually really good and small enough for her to eat them. (04/17/2010)

By Jessica

What do I feed a six week old Lab/German Shepherd puppy?

Sandy

Answers:

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

Most vets recommend leaving with mother until about 8 weeks, but lots of mothers wean younger so you can feed a high quality dry food which has been soaking in warm water for awhile, maybe a couple of hours. Let it get really soupy, put in in something like a pie plate and let them slop around in it. Gradually decrease the amount of water so that the pup is eventually eating dry food. This is better for the teeth and easier to manage, but that part wasn't your question. A good quality dog food is the answer. Not table scraps.(04/16/2009)

By Judi

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I would say soft food with puppy milk replacer mixed in or the mommy's food which has been soaked in puppy replacer milk.

Robyn (04/17/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I hope you will find the following link helpful: veterinarypetcare.com.
If you have a question about anything, I truly believe you couldn't ask for better advice than from this vet. (04/17/2009)

By Lesley Westbrook

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

The pup can eat regular soft or watered down puppy food; high quality not a grocery store brand. (04/20/2009)

By Krysti

Feeding a Six Week Old Puppy

I mix baby food with puppy food from the first time they eat dry food til they are about 8 weeks old. Remember they need a puppy food for the first year and should be fed a food that is formulated for large dogs so they don't grow too fast which can cause health problems later on down the line. (05/06/2009)

By paula

What can I feed a six week old Pit Bull?

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 17, 2010
🌻
🐰
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Feeding-a-Six-Week-Old-Puppy.html