Browsing: Puppy Pooping Inside

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Puppy Pooping Inside

It takes patience when training your young dog to do its duty outside. This guide is about puppy pooping inside.

Cute Puppy
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 27, 2016 Flag

My wife and I sleep with the mattress on the floor at night. We have two separate single size mattresses combined (while waiting for our new home). My 4 month old Shih Tzu is potty trained. She pooped in her cage in the room or the pee pad, but recently, she started pooping on my wife's bed.

The moment I changed the bedsheet, she peed on it. Just this morning, I woke up in horror to see my wife covered in Pancake's poop, still sound asleep. She only does that on my wife's mattress and not mine. I don't think it's my food supply because I haven't change it for a while. Her cage is opened for her to do her business all the time, ever since she was potty trained, but why now? Any advice? Is it because she can't hold her bowels because she is only 4 months old? But she only did it wrongly on my wife's bed and not else where. When the mattress is lifted up, she will pee and poo in the cage. I need help here!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog is potty trained but as soon as I take her off the leash she'll run to the room and poop only on my husband side of the bed ... Plz help me! Share any kinds of recommendations!! Omg! :-(

April 9, 2015 Flag

montage photoMy puppy is 7 weeks old and we are in the process of training her. Throughout the day I'm on top of her and take her out frequently. Her last meal is around 9pm and I take her outside right after and once again around 11 pm I get up to take her out again. I wake up around 5 am and the entire floor is filled with poop! When we first got her she would only poop maybe once at night and now we wake up to piles of poop :( Any tips on what I should do?

By Leticia

The answer for us has always been Crate Training. Get a large doggy crate, and put a comfy cushion in it. Start teaching pup to "kennel-up" at bed-time, rewarding with a small treat when they go into the crate.

All of the dogs I know who have been trained this way feel very secure and comfortable in their crate at night (drape a blanket over sides and back so it seems like a "den". They do not wish to mess their den up, so they will learn to hold it.

First thing in the morning, let pup out and directly outside to relieve themselves.

May take a little time, but it works.

I agree with the crate training. That will probably solve your problem.

Also, don't feed cheap food. This includes brands like ol' Roy, Old Yeller, Purina Puppy chow, Alpo, Big Red, Kroger, Rex, Shep, Royal Canin. They have a lot of bulk compared to nutrition, so your dog will be constantly going.

Better brands are:

Castor and Pollux, Innova, Nutrience, Pure Vita, Simply Wild, Wellness, Nature's harvest, Halo, Avoderm, Canidae Grain Free, Blue Buffalo, Back to Basics, Honest Kitchen, Merrick.

March 6, 2009 Flag

My 14 week old puppy seems to have clicked well with house training during the day, but at night she poops all over the kitchen floor. The pad is kept in the same place during the day and night. Please help.

14 WEEKS! Still sooo young! Be patient and use a set schedule and stick to it. A brisk jog (to stimulate digestion) or a fast game of chase in the yard after mealtime will get him to the "gotta go now" mindset, too.

I brought two puppies home to the U.S from overseas long ago. To prepare them for the flight, I got them used to being in a crate by using the crates as their beds at night. They never wanted or needed another bed. Even in old age, when I said "night, night" they each went to their own crate and laid down for the night. That was with the door of the crates always open. Their crates were their "havens." So, if you use a crate for training, never, ever use it as punishment.

I've read what everyone had to say and agree with them all. I did something a little different when I housebroke my Parker. I attached his leash to my ankle and anytime he moved on my bed I rushed him outside to potty. Parker will be 10 in July and still sleeps in bed with me, all 135 pounds of him.

First off, you confuse a puppy when you allow it to relieve itself in the house. Take the puppy out frequently TO THE SAME SPOT, it will get the hint after sniffing around. Praise him! Don't put down newspapers or pads in the house. Small breed dogs cannot hold as much as larger breeds. Don't go to bed until the dog does it's business - and don't feed to late. Feed two times a day.

Dogs need exercise to move things along enough to feel the urge to go earlier in the evening.

You should be doing at least 2 long, fast walks or jogs following the dog's meals every day. They need the exercise and so do you but walks are about the sights, sounds and scents also. Supplement with quick pee breaks throughout the day at least as often as you go to the bathroom.

The further you walk, the more sights and scents and the more times the dog will stop to pee or poop. this to have a healthy and happy pet. It's a win-win.

Dog parks and playtime are for relaxation. It's also great to do some training throughout your walks as the dog will learn to obey in all situations and not just when they're in your living room.

Combine this with a rock steady schedule and your dog will be fully trained by tomorrow. It's truly that simple. Don't turn around as soon as the dog poops but keep it up so you have a good 1 hour a day minimum of exercise. You can multitask and walk to do some errands for added benefit.

Never exercise any dog directly before or after meals talk to your veterinarian about "bloat".

May 26, 2012 Flag

I have a 7 month old Lab/German Shepherd mix, she went 4 months with no accidents in the house. Then a month ago she started pooping in the house, first in the living room, then every night for 4 nights in her bed, not on the puppy pads I put down. I washed the carpet and washed the floor with vinegar water. Yesterday she started peeing in the den, then last night she pooped and peed again. I get up and take her out at 2, 4, and 6 am. I am at my wits end. She has also chewed her harness off, four of them. My husband wants to get rid of her or make her an outside dog. Any advise for this?

By dreamer from El Paso, TX

Have you taken your puppy to the Vet? Sometimes this could be a sign of an underlying sickness or pain. Animals are more like humans than we think, and like us, they deal with things in there own way. But the first thing would be to rule out any sickness.

Take the dog to the vet right away! It could be a serious medical problem!

March 28, 2015 Flag

We adopted a 7 month puppy from the pound. She is the sweetest dog and took to the doggie door that was already installed for our 7 year old Lab mix. She had little to no accidents and we even got 20 inches of snow and she still went out. After a month all of a sudden we wake up one morning and she has pooped and peed and later that evening the same thing pooped and peed and in between peeing on the rugs.

We first started to think the older dog was bulling her and not letting her out to go, but that was still a long shot since she had no problems before.

The next day I left her in the laundry room where the doggie door was and her crate for somewhere soft to lay. On a side note she had been so good she was able to stay in the house alone all day while we were at work and at night. She basically was crated at night and during the day for the first week. OK, so back to the story the day she was in the laundry room she did not have an accident in the room. Also the Lab was unable to go out since there was only one doggie door so she had free rein of the yard which by the way is a half acre fenced in so there is plenty of room.

So that night we had her back in the house and during the night she peed two times on the rug. The next day I put her in the laundry room and again no accident, but again that night she pooped and peed and we were right in the room with her. She had even earlier in the evening come into my son's room where my mom and I were hanging curtains and in one minute while our backs were turned hanging them we turned around and she was gone and there was a puddle in the floor. Why be so consistent and all of a sudden this?

By Missy C

There are some unanswered questions here.

Do you work all day and leave the dogs at home by themselves? What about your son? When does he get home? Does anyone stay home during the day? How often are the dogs walked and for how long?

At night, are the bedroom doors closed or open? Where do the dogs sleep? Do they sleep with anybody?

I would not recommend crating a dog day and night when you first get it home. The dog doesn't have a chance to get used to its new surroundings. It may still be on edge.

You've given your dog a new place to live, but I can't tell, from what you've written so far, that it truly feels you've welcomed it into your family.

January 2, 2014 Flag

I have 9 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She doesn't do the toilet in the house during the day, but every morning when I wake up she has either done a pee or a poop or both in the house. How do i stop her from doing this? Nothing I am doing seems to be working. I have another dog as well and he was fully trained by 6 months old. Everything I have done with him with his training isn't working for her. I need someone to help me please.

Thanks.

By Chelsea

Appears puppy has to go during that time frame. We always took ours out for a good long walk right after his dinner and then again for a good amount of time just before our bedtime. Doesn't seem that she is being spiteful or naughty.

Either get up once or twice in the night to let puppy out, put water and food up early in the evening, or buy washable doggie diapers from Amazon. My dogs were doing potty in the night, the diapers make them hold it or let you know they want out because a dirty diaper is uncomfortable.

January 3, 2010 Flag

I have had a Cavalier for a month and he is 3 1/2 months old. I feel like I'm not making any progress with his house training. I am using a crate, and I'm home most of the time. So, he is being taken out every hour.

Load More
Pets Dogs House TrainingMay 13, 2013
A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
Newborn Puppy
Newborn Puppy not Pooping
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 12:32:07 AM on 10.0.1.151 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.