Puppy Pooping Inside

It takes patience when training your young dog to do its duty outside. This guide is about puppy pooping inside.

My puppy is 8 weeks old. I feed him and give him some time, then take him out to potty. Outside I walk with him and let him run around. He pees OK, but it can be 20 minutes waiting for him to poop. If nothing happens I bring him inside and then he poops! What do I do to change that?

Each time he poops in the house, into his crate he goes. He will learn that if he wants free reign of the house, he will have to do his business outside.

Try this. When he poops inside pick the poop up & put it out in the garden & leave it here. Show him where it is. Now each time you take him out put him next to the poop. Also get in the habit of taking him out every 3 hours. Never hit him if a mistake is made. Have a place in the garage maybe with a large pen that is his safe place. Leave newspaper down. If he goes on the newspaper then this is a good thing.

We have a 10 month old dog who has been a dream dog. He has a great personality, was house trained in a very short time, and is very social. He has been restricted to our very large kitchen and den day and night, is crated at night and hasn't had an accident in these rooms since about 2 weeks after he came home with us at age 9 weeks. He has been very hesitant to come out of the kitchen into the dining room and living room, but will occasionally for short snippets of time. Recently, he has gone into the dining room and living room and left us some "gifts" on the floor (both hardwood and rug). I don't know if he associates only the kitchen/den as inside and everywhere else in the house is considered outside or what's going on. We want him to feel free to roam around when we're home, but we're now afraid to open up the gate that blocks him in the kitchen/den area. He's walked outside several times a day. He hadn't done this until recently. Any ideas of how to stop this?

Has there been a change in his schedule? If there has, your puppy may be confused. In any case, get a product like Nature's Miracle, which will remove the odor. Your puppy has marked his territory, and will keep going back to that same spot unless you neutralize the odor.

I think your puppy may be confused because he is restricted to only 2 rooms in the house. I would think that as he begins to associate the remainder of the house as his territory too you will see this behavior go away.

You say he has been "restricted" to your kitchen and den and crated at night - has something changed recently or has he always been free to go to the dining and living room area?

As already stated - the area where he has left "gifts" will have to be thoroughly cleaned and any odor removed - hard to do - but there are inexpensive products that help with this.

Have you tired walking him through these areas a couple of times before going on his walks. Sometimes just a casual trip a few different times will help them get over whatever fear they have for that area.

My wife and I sleep with the mattress on the floor at night. We have two separate single size mattresses combined (while waiting for our new home). My 4 month old Shih Tzu is potty trained. She pooped in her cage in the room or the pee pad, but recently, she started pooping on my wife's bed.

The moment I changed the bedsheet, she peed on it. Just this morning, I woke up in horror to see my wife covered in Pancake's poop, still sound asleep. She only does that on my wife's mattress and not mine. I don't think it's my food supply because I haven't change it for a while. Her cage is opened for her to do her business all the time, ever since she was potty trained, but why now? Any advice? Is it because she can't hold her bowels because she is only 4 months old? But she only did it wrongly on my wife's bed and not else where. When the mattress is lifted up, she will pee and poo in the cage. I need help here!

My dog is potty trained but as soon as I take her off the leash she'll run to the room and poop only on my husband side of the bed ... Plz help me! Share any kinds of recommendations!! Omg! :-(

I have a 7 month old Lab/German Shepherd mix, she went 4 months with no accidents in the house. Then a month ago she started pooping in the house, first in the living room, then every night for 4 nights in her bed, not on the puppy pads I put down. I washed the carpet and washed the floor with vinegar water. Yesterday she started peeing in the den, then last night she pooped and peed again. I get up and take her out at 2, 4, and 6 am. I am at my wits end. She has also chewed her harness off, four of them. My husband wants to get rid of her or make her an outside dog. Any advise for this?

By dreamer from El Paso, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Have you taken your puppy to the Vet? Sometimes this could be a sign of an underlying sickness or pain. Animals are more like humans than we think, and like us, they deal with things in there own way. But the first thing would be to rule out any sickness.

Take the dog to the vet right away! It could be a serious medical problem!

My 14 week old puppy seems to have clicked well with house training during the day, but at night she poops all over the kitchen floor. The pad is kept in the same place during the day and night. Please help.

I've read what everyone had to say and agree with them all. I did something a little different when I housebroke my Parker. I attached his leash to my ankle and anytime he moved on my bed I rushed him outside to potty. Parker will be 10 in July and still sleeps in bed with me, all 135 pounds of him.

First off, you confuse a puppy when you allow it to relieve itself in the house. Take the puppy out frequently TO THE SAME SPOT, it will get the hint after sniffing around. Praise him! Don't put down newspapers or pads in the house. Small breed dogs cannot hold as much as larger breeds. Don't go to bed until the dog does it's business - and don't feed to late. Feed two times a day.

Dogs need exercise to move things along enough to feel the urge to go earlier in the evening.

You should be doing at least 2 long, fast walks or jogs following the dog's meals every day. They need the exercise and so do you but walks are about the sights, sounds and scents also. Supplement with quick pee breaks throughout the day at least as often as you go to the bathroom.

The further you walk, the more sights and scents and the more times the dog will stop to pee or poop. this to have a healthy and happy pet. It's a win-win.

Dog parks and playtime are for relaxation. It's also great to do some training throughout your walks as the dog will learn to obey in all situations and not just when they're in your living room.

Combine this with a rock steady schedule and your dog will be fully trained by tomorrow. It's truly that simple. Don't turn around as soon as the dog poops but keep it up so you have a good 1 hour a day minimum of exercise. You can multitask and walk to do some errands for added benefit.

My puppy is 7 weeks old and we are in the process of training her. Throughout the day I'm on top of her and take her out frequently. Her last meal is around 9pm and I take her outside right after and once again around 11 pm I get up to take her out again. I wake up around 5 am and the entire floor is filled with poop! When we first got her she would only poop maybe once at night and now we wake up to piles of poop :( Any tips on what I should do?

By Leticia

The answer for us has always been Crate Training. Get a large doggy crate, and put a comfy cushion in it. Start teaching pup to "kennel-up" at bed-time, rewarding with a small treat when they go into the crate.

All of the dogs I know who have been trained this way feel very secure and comfortable in their crate at night (drape a blanket over sides and back so it seems like a "den". They do not wish to mess their den up, so they will learn to hold it.

First thing in the morning, let pup out and directly outside to relieve themselves.

May take a little time, but it works.

I agree with the crate training. That will probably solve your problem.

Also, don't feed cheap food. This includes brands like ol' Roy, Old Yeller, Purina Puppy chow, Alpo, Big Red, Kroger, Rex, Shep, Royal Canin. They have a lot of bulk compared to nutrition, so your dog will be constantly going.

Better brands are:

Castor and Pollux, Innova, Nutrience, Pure Vita, Simply Wild, Wellness, Nature's harvest, Halo, Avoderm, Canidae Grain Free, Blue Buffalo, Back to Basics, Honest Kitchen, Merrick.

We adopted a 7 month puppy from the pound. She is the sweetest dog and took to the doggie door that was already installed for our 7 year old Lab mix. She had little to no accidents and we even got 20 inches of snow and she still went out. After a month all of a sudden we wake up one morning and she has pooped and peed and later that evening the same thing pooped and peed and in between peeing on the rugs.

We first started to think the older dog was bulling her and not letting her out to go, but that was still a long shot since she had no problems before.

The next day I left her in the laundry room where the doggie door was and her crate for somewhere soft to lay. On a side note she had been so good she was able to stay in the house alone all day while we were at work and at night. She basically was crated at night and during the day for the first week. OK, so back to the story the day she was in the laundry room she did not have an accident in the room. Also the Lab was unable to go out since there was only one doggie door so she had free rein of the yard which by the way is a half acre fenced in so there is plenty of room.

So that night we had her back in the house and during the night she peed two times on the rug. The next day I put her in the laundry room and again no accident, but again that night she pooped and peed and we were right in the room with her. She had even earlier in the evening come into my son's room where my mom and I were hanging curtains and in one minute while our backs were turned hanging them we turned around and she was gone and there was a puddle in the floor. Why be so consistent and all of a sudden this?

By Missy C

There are some unanswered questions here.

Do you work all day and leave the dogs at home by themselves? What about your son? When does he get home? Does anyone stay home during the day? How often are the dogs walked and for how long?

At night, are the bedroom doors closed or open? Where do the dogs sleep? Do they sleep with anybody?

I would not recommend crating a dog day and night when you first get it home. The dog doesn't have a chance to get used to its new surroundings. It may still be on edge.

You've given your dog a new place to live, but I can't tell, from what you've written so far, that it truly feels you've welcomed it into your family.

I have 9 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She doesn't do the toilet in the house during the day, but every morning when I wake up she has either done a pee or a poop or both in the house. How do i stop her from doing this? Nothing I am doing seems to be working. I have another dog as well and he was fully trained by 6 months old. Everything I have done with him with his training isn't working for her. I need someone to help me please.

Thanks.

By Chelsea

Appears puppy has to go during that time frame. We always took ours out for a good long walk right after his dinner and then again for a good amount of time just before our bedtime. Doesn't seem that she is being spiteful or naughty.

Either get up once or twice in the night to let puppy out, put water and food up early in the evening, or buy washable doggie diapers from Amazon. My dogs were doing potty in the night, the diapers make them hold it or let you know they want out because a dirty diaper is uncomfortable.

My 7 month old potty trained puppy is pooping in the home again. There has been no diet change and no feeding schedule change. There has been a new fence. Ever since that fence was put up, my puppy has been pooping inside. I take him out frequently. He doesn't wake me up like he used to. Before the fence was installed he would wake me up if he needed to go outside. It's been 4 days in a row now of my puppy pooping inside.

I have had a Cavalier for a month and he is 3 1/2 months old. I feel like I'm not making any progress with his house training. I am using a crate, and I'm home most of the time. So, he is being taken out every hour.

He holds it all night in the crate, but is still having many accidents in the house during the day. We'll be out for 20 minutes or more, come in, and within 5 minutes he poops. I feel like he's holding it for when he comes in. Is this normal? Any advice would be great.

Patricia, I would take the dog outside to poop, just like you've been doing, and wait as long as you think appropriate to give him/her enough time to do the job. I think you indicated that you were waiting 25 minutes, and I think that's appropriate. What I would do is change what you do when you go inside. If the dog had been in the crate enough time that the dog should have to poop but doesn't poop when you go outside, then when you return inside, I'd put the dog right back in the crate.

Few dogs will poop in their crate, so when you try it going outside again in an hour, there should be even more of an urge for the dog to poop. Doing it this way may seem like the dog may spend too much time in the crate, but it is only temporary. Once you have a success, you can congratulate the dog and give all kinds of compliments (maybe even a treat). The dog will get the picture of where you want the pooping thing to happen and will take less and less time to accomplish the task.

It will be worth your time to do this because it will make your future with your dog so much more rewarding because more of your time can be spent enjoying your dog rather than disciplining and waiting for him/her to poop. Dogs usually want to please, and I think your dog just doesn't know yet that pooping outside will please you. Once the message is understood by the dog, you should have an easier time. Good luck. Dogs are wonderful!

My dogs are asked if they want to "go out and potty". They get excited and are then taken out to do their business. They don't like doing both of their businesses in the same location. So, when they walk away from the wet place, they want to wander elsewhere to complete elimination; usually near a shrub or tree base.

Watch your dog while inside and see if it paces around the room just before it drops feces on the floor. At that point take the dog out again. My dog usually drops feces in more than one outdoor spot before finishing. I have cocker spaniels and the male was more stubborn than the female about training. Just be consistent like you have been and it will eventually pay off.

Thanks so much for the advice on potty training our Cavalier puppy. We are actually starting to make some progress. Can I ask another question? How often should I (or can I) bathe our Cavalier?

Hope I can be of help in the future, first I have to figure all of this out :) Patricia

I have an 11 month old American Bulldog she is fully toilet trained, but if she's left on her own or I even go to bed and close the door she poos and it's always very runny. I don't no what to do. She is never actually alone as i also have a 5 year old male Staff.

By Layla

Sounds to me like you may have 2 issues. Your dog sounds like it has some separation anxiety. A good internet search will get you up to speed on that as it is a common problem. Be sure she is getting lots of exercise and time playing so she can relax. Some dogs like quiet music playing or a loud ticking clock when they are by themselves. The runny poo would make me consider a food allergy. I would surely try some hypoallergenic dog foods. Your Vet may have some good suggestions too. You often need to try several new foods to find the one that works. Good luck.

I recently brought a new puppy to my house. My 5 year old dog is house broken. I'm potty training the new puppy. All of the sudden my old dog is peeing on the puppy training pads and pooping in my leather couch. What can I do?

By Corina from Reno, NV