Removing Gum from the Dryer

A wash day mess can happen if gum is left in a clothes pocket. This guide is about removing gum from the dryer.

A dryer full of clothing.
Filter Sort

Tip: Removing Gum From a Dryer

By Monica 296 58

To remove chewing gum from the inside of the dryer, take a dryer sheet and wet with water. Stick the wet dryer sheet on top of the gummy mess and leave there for 15 minutes, then wipe the gum off. This is fast and easy.

Source: My brother gave us this tip.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

By Katrina 1

How do you remove melted chewing gum from a dryer?

By Katrina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By becky 1 Flag

I tried the dryer sheets but difficult if whole drum is coated. This worked for me. Put a soaking wet large beach towel in dryer along with 6 wet fabric softener dryer sheets. Run dryer on low heat for 90 minutes. This removed almost all of the gum. I had only a couple of spots to work on after that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Ice for Getting Gum out of a Dryer

By Mary Keenan W. 1

When I found the gum, I didn't want to put a chemical in my dryer, nor did I want to scrape it with a knife and an ice cube. Here is how I got gum out of my dryer fast.

I had saved a couple of those plastic fishnet bottle or candle covers (open at both ends) in my junk drawer. I took a rubber band and sealed off one end of the plastic cover. I filled it with ice and sealed off the other end with another rubber band. I scrubbed using the ice bag as a sponge and followed with a dry rag. It made quick work of getting the gum out of the dryer.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Getting Gum Out of the Dryer

By kaylee McG Is Me 2 1

To get gum out of the dryer, I just used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (50% stronger one). This worked better for me than the dryer sheet method which I tried first. First, wet the sponge, then scrub in circular motion. If too stubborn to come off go over again.

Directions:

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gum in the Dryer

How do I get gum out of my dryer? It was left in someones pocket and went though the washer and then the dryer. Needless to say, it's stuck on the dryer walls.

By Deena P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Miker 3 Flag

Depends if it's in a few places or spun all over the place. I would start with making that room as cold as possible then use a stiff, sharp, plastic ended spatula to scrap the gum off. If it's cold enough, it wiil even "pop" right off. If it's warm, of course, it will just smear it around all the worse.

If it's all over the drum, the acetone idea is pretty good too. Just make sure you put it on the rag and don't pour it in the drum (could dissolve plastic parts). The same would go if you used brake cleaner or carburetor spray. With any of these chemicals, open the windows and ventilate that room well. That is because of the explosion factor as well as fume damage to your lungs and light-headedness.

Best of luck

Mike

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Gum Out of the Dryer

How do you get pink, sticky, caked gum out of your dryer?

By Pam

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy 8 25 Flag

Been there, done that! I was ready to wring my son's neck. Then I found a tip online saying to use a dryer fabric softener sheet. I couldn't believe how well it works. Use it dry and just rub. It also works great on the sticky soap gunk that builds up around the edge of the washing machine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gum from the Dryer

A pack of gum is stuck in my dryer. How do I take it off?

By Mary

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By javamom77 13 14 Flag

Have you tried using peanut butter or mayonnaise. Put a dab on a small scrubby sponge and in a circling motion scrub on sticky area until it loosens.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gum and Dye Stains from Dried Laundry

By Judy Pariser S. 82 68

My son did his laundry and forgot to take out some strawberry flavored gum. The fabrics were varied, but all are light colored. He put it in the dryer and I now have pink stains on the clothes, and some gum stuck in the dryer. How do I fix this?

By Judy from NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My husband left a pack of gum in his pants pocket, I didn't know this of course until I washed them and found the gum stuck to the side of the washer. I peeled what I could off and then grabbed a used dryer sheet. A little rubbing and it's all gone.

By Amy from Upstate NY

Answers:

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

Wet a fabric softener sheet, and then use it to 'scrub' the gum. It works, and it doesn't leave any residue or odor in the dryer that wouldn't otherwise be there (as Goo Gone or WD-40 would). (10/05/2005)

By Sharkey

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

I tried the above suggestion, with the fabric softener sheet, and it worked very well. The only difficult part was getting to the back, with out leaning on the door and breaking it. Other than that, the sheet worked very well. Thanks. (11/27/2005)

By Jennifer Martinez

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

One easy way is to use "Goo-Gone" sticky gum type stuff remover product. I just did it. Watch out for the citrus flavor in the dryer when finished though :) Wipe it down with water. (05/19/2006)

By Andrew

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

Use a cloth with liquid fabric softener to scrub and then wipe down. Comes right off and smells great too! (07/13/2006)

By Chrissy

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

We used boiling water and poured it in the dryer to loosen up the gum, and then used dryer sheets to scrub it off. It worked like a charm! (08/07/2006)

By Scott

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

Now, this load was a dissaster!
    The gum was laid thin all over the drum, Thanks for the posts-what is the internet for otherwise-saved the day - the dryer sheets WORK! If you don't have Googone and you are not headed to the store, here is a solution- lemon cut in half or lemon juice works the same, also soak the dryer sheets in extra softner -saves on the rubbing. Putting a big (old)wet towel in with the lemon and getting it trough a cicle after helps with the back of the drum(unles you are determined with the elbow greese).Good Luck! (08/23/2006)

By Iva

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

Skin-So-Soft bath/body oil also works, we just tried it! You'll need a rag and, depending on how big the wad of gum, a popsicle stick to help it along. And it smells nice. (08/26/2006)

By Felicia

RE: Removing Gum From the Dryer

The stringy gum in my dryer looked like a spider web. Rubbing with just one wet dryer sheet made it all disappear in minutes. (08/30/2006)

By nevadamama

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My daughters left gum and stickers in their pockets. Now I have gum and stickers on the drum of my dryer. How do I remove them?

Thanks,
    Linda from Texas

Answers:

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I would not recommend using WD-40 or that Goo removal product for GAS dryers. Those items are highly flammable. I just removed a huge gummy mess from my dryer with wet fabric softener sheets. Just wet a couple of sheets and use a bit of elbow grease and it works like magic (and better than WD-40 too!) (02/16/2005)

By Bari

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Brand new dryer and gum everywhere. The wet dryer sheet work. Thanks to whoever figured that one out. (04/01/2006)

By H. Dressler

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I used the dryer sheet along with rubbing alcohol, took about 20 minutes but once I saw it was working it lowered my stress level. Thanks for the tips. (05/04/2006)

By Brian

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

One of my kids left gum in their pocket and thank you whoever figured this one out, because it saved my husband from having a heart attack! The dryer sheets work great! (08/27/2006)

By Christy

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Tried dryer sheet and it worked but Goo-Gone worked faster and better. (09/17/2006)

By Anna

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Gum left in child's pocket was washed and dried. Now the gum is stuck on the inside walls of my dryer. How do I remove the gum from the inside of the dryer?

Gina from Tamuning, Guam

Answers:

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I'm one of those husbands that left a pack of gum in my pocket. Thanks for the the tip with the wet fabric softener sheets. It really works. (12/19/2006)

By Less

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Everyone, I tried the fabric softener sheet, it was so-so, tired peanut butter, it was better but not good enough, and then I was rummaging through the different things under my sink and then i saw "Oops!," which says it removes gum, and does very well! Everyone use "Oops!"! Works Great! (12/24/2006)

By Zach

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Dryer sheet worked wonderful! WHEW. (01/06/2007)

By Crystal

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

After spending 15 minutes scrubbing with some horrible, toxic solvent, I checked the Web and found the dryer sheet miracle posted here. And it was a miracle! I went over the gum with some extra fabric softener after going through one damp dryer sheet, and it was amazing. GONE! (I even got rid of some old stuff that had been left by husband after he made the same mistake.) So nice not to kill myself over my 15-year-old son's laundry brain fart.

I hate gum and don't even chew the stuff! It is officially outlawed in my house now. (01/06/2007)

By Heidi

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Gotta tell you the wet dryer sheets worked wonders with a minimum of elbow grease on the gum in my dryer. Thanks for the help! (4/7/07) (04/07/2007)

By C A from Delaware

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My sons pants went through the dryer with gum in the pocket. How do I get the gum off the dryer wall?

Sandra

Answers:

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My son left an entire pack of orbit gum in his pocket-there is goo all over my new dryer drum! I dipped dryer sheets in fabric softener-works like magic! Thanks! (04/10/2007)

By sj

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

A quick squirt of "Spray 'N Wash" laundry stain remover, and a light wipe with a damp rag is all you need. Ever. Whole pack of gum, done in 5 minutes.
    (04/21/2007)

By Macho Man

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I called the makers of Goo Gone and they said "DO NOT use this product in the dryer!" The fumes are what is flammable not the product. (04/24/2007)

By Heidi

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The wet dryer sheet with the softener on it really works. Try turning on the dryer for a few seconds every minute or so to keep the drum warm and keep the dryer sheet wet. (04/30/2007)

By Cheri from pa

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Wet dryer sheet works great!! (04/30/2007)

By seahawksfan

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Wet dryer sheet works great!! (05/01/2007)

By seahawksfan

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thanks so much. The dryer sheets really work! (05/02/2007)

By guest

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My boyfriend left orbit gum in his short pocket and we've had a mess in the dryer ever since! Thanks to these post (as soon as I found a solution I had to go run and try in on one part of the dryer) my boyfriend and I will TAKE TURNS cleaning the dryer before it's time to wash and dry a load again :). Trust me..he'll be doing most of the work! Ha Ha! Thanks to everyone who had ideas and solutions.(05/29/2007)

By Jess

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thanks to the "Spray n' Wash" suggestion I tried "Shout." I sprayed down the dryer with "Shout" then scrubbed lightly with a toothbrush followed by a nylon, non-scratch sponge (i.e. the ones you'd use on your nice stainless steel pots and pans). Wipe down with a wet paper towel followed by a dry paper towel. The whole dryer was clean in 10 mins. (06/06/2007)

By MJM

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

What a life-saver! Brand new washer/dryer set, within 19 hrs of having it saw streaks of red & black all in the dryer. I knew it was gum because I could smell it; "Big Red" to be exact. I was FURIOUS! I "Googled" a search for REMOVING GUM FROM DRYER and found this tip. You do have to use a lot of elbow grease and I think I lost about 10 lbs because it took me a while to get it all. But it was worth it. THANKS A MILLION!!! (07/04/2007)

By Annetta B of Cincinnati, OH

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The wet dryer sheet works!!! Thanks for the help! (07/05/2007)

By Gloria

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Another vote for dryer sheets. I dipped mine in rubbing alcohol. I went behind it wiping with a khaki clothe to pickup the little remainder that didn't stick to the dryer sheet, which wasn't much at all. (07/07/2007)

By Carolyn

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

MAGICAL and VERY QUICK! Just a little bit of fabric softener on a dryer sheet and rub - the gum is GONE. I used no elbow grease, and my stress level decreased rapidly. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (07/08/2007)

By Joshua's Mom in SC

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Dryer sheets worked great! But of course I only had one left. So necessity being the mother of invention, I used a damp papertowel dabbed with fabric softener along with a scraper (small plastic one used for scraping food off of ceramic & clay bakeware). Worked like a charm with very little elbow grease! Next time it happens i will use the dryer sheet in combo with the scraper - super fast! Thanks for the tip! Saved my family from my laundry etiquette rage lecture! (07/14/2007)

By sdavis623

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I used Goo Be Gone from Wal-Mart. Works great! (07/16/2007)

By Scotty G.

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The Spray n Wash didn't work for me but I tried the wet dryer sheet. WOW, I have a lot of gum but as long as it's a WET dryer sheet it makes it disappear in seconds. (08/04/2007)

By Heather

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

People, use your heads. A little common sense won't kill you. DO NOT use Goo Gone or any type of spray that is flammable in your dryer. Read the labels before you use any chemicals. (08/10/2007)

By Jim

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Well, I took the dryer sheet advice and it worked great! I wet a used dryer sheet and pretty much cleaned the inside of my dryer with it! gum and whatever else was in there? I used a rag to wipe up the moisture from the wet dryer sheet. worked like a charm for me. (08/10/2007)

By Bob Miller

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

By Bob Miller

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Another vote for a dryer sheet. I didn't even need a scraper. (08/15/2007)

By Gwyn

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Dryer sheet worked great. My son will never forget to take gum out of his pants pockets again. (08/17/2007)

By Nancy

GUM STAINS ON CLOTHES

GUMS was in the dryer and now it has stained my clothes. How do I remove that stain from my new clothes. (08/18/2007)

By CHINA DOLL

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The dryer sheet thing works if you are the man of steel, but you will spend 12 hours cubbing until your arms are numb. (08/26/2007)

By College kids and gum

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

WOW! It worked wonderful!
    Damp dryer sheet.

Thank you very much.. (08/29/2007)

By Denise

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I just discovered my son (he does his own laundry) left gum somewhere in the laundry, and it was dried all over my dryer. I googled this site and voila'. You ladies had the answer to my prayers....dryer sheets! I used 3 wet dryer sheets and then wiped out the dryer with damp paper towel. It worked like a charm! It only took me a few minutes, but didn't tell my son it was that easy to clean. ;) Thanks again ladies, I'm bookmarking this site! (08/29/2007)

By VegasMom

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I just tried it and it really works! We had gum all over our dryer from either my son's or husband's pockets. It came out is a snap, and my husband pitched in too. I bet my boys check their pockets from now on. (09/01/2007)

By

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Well, gum just got all over my husband's police uniforms. I poured a little Downey on a dish pad and scrubbed. It worked really well. The fabric sheet thing did not do so well for me. (09/02/2007)

By Faith

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Dryer sheet with a little liquid fabric softener worked great! (09/09/2007)

By Pissed MO. Dad

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

WOW! A dryer sheet and a little fabric softener works wonders! We just got our new dryer with a stainless steel drum one day ago. My husband accidentally left a piece of gum in his pocket (and I forgot to check the pockets). It left a messy sticky residue all over the drum. The shine was GONE! I decided to look online and found this website (Praise the Lord!). After reviewing all the post I decided to try the dryer sheets. After about 20-30 minutes of rubbing, my dryer looks flawless. The work was not in vain. Thanks for whomever had the great idea! It was indeed a blessing! (09/09/2007)

By Takishya from NC

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I have to agree. My boyfriend dried three PACKAGES of gum...yes 15 sticks of gum. BUT half a box of wet dryer sheets later, you never would have known that he almost ruined our two week old dryer. :) Here is a hint: once you have some of the wet dryer goo on the surface, use a scrubby sponge to avoid having to use as much elbow grease. Good luck! (09/16/2007)

By Mynette

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I left my gum in my pockets and put my pants in the wash then the dryer. I come back and look at my dryer and there was green gum all in it, so i used a whole bunch of different things. The thing that worked was putting rubbing alcohol on a scrub thing, like something you would wash dishes with but its rougher/tougher than a sponge. It worked with some elbow grease. (09/23/2007)

By hxcmetal13

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Success! My little boy left gum in his pants pocket and I found it in the dryer. I read the ideas posted here and used what I had on hand: dryer sheets (wet) and a wooden spatula (I don't have a plastic scraper). I found that if the dryer was cool it took a lot of elbow grease so I let the dryer run empty for about 10 minutes and the gum came right off. (09/25/2007)

By Annie

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

That gum was a mess in my brand new large capacity dryer! I used 3 wet softener sheets - a SMALL price to pay for a clean, ready to use clothes dryer. Thanks for the "TIP". The manufacturer of my appliance didn't even have this info! (10/02/2007)

By fire1mom

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Great idea. I racked my brain thinking of a slickery liquid to use and found here that softener is the best idea! But, I used #0000 steel wool *super fine" to get the gum off. The gum "chunks" stick into the steel wool leaving nothing but softener on the drum. A quick wipe with a wet terry rag or two then run a cycle of towels. Cleans as new! (10/09/2007)

By Linda

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Yup, my husband left a stick of gum in his jeans pocket & it was all over the tub of our new stainless steel dryer. I don't use dryer sheets so I grabbed my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser & it came completely off without any hassle! They are magic! (10/14/2007)

By M. Phillips

RE: Removing Gum (or anything else stuck on) From a Dryer

Something in someones pocket was stuck all around the drum of my dryer. I panicked. I came to this site and read what everyone had to say. As bizarre as it seemed I wet a Bounce dryer sheet and with little effort cleaned the back wall of the dryer. It was magic! Thank you all for sharing this life-saver. (10/15/2007)

By Mommit

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

We tried the Magic Eraser and Wet Dryer Sheets (of course it was my husband's fault the gum got stuck in the dryer in the first place) Took about 5 minutes to clean using the Dryer sheets- after using google to find this site. thank you so much!! (10/21/2007)

By guest

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

WooHoo!
    Another vote for dryer sheets and a plastic scraper!
    If you don't have a plastic scraper, go to the dollar store and buy one! It makes this sooo much easier!
    I ran the dryer for a few minutes to warm it up. That helped too. I also used hot water on the dryer sheets. Only needed two for a LOT of gum residue.
    Thank you for the great tip! (10/22/2007)

By Holly in MI

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I very stupidly forgot to check my pants before throwing them in the wash and dryer. I had left an entire pack of gum in the pocket! Needless to say, the dryer looked horrible gum hardened EVERYWHERE on the inside! Tried hot water and a sponge with scrub and toothbrush at first....no luck! barely got anywhere! But by wetting dryer sheets and scrubbing, everything came off fairly easy. It took 6 sheets and about half hour...yeah, it was ALOT of gum! Thanks for the tip!! AWESOME! and cheap! (11/08/2007)

By Vance

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

There is gum all over the barrel of my clothes dryer. Help, how do I get this off? Thank you.

Marie from Holyoke, MA

Answers:

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I have had gum in my dryer for months. I have tried a lot of different things but it would not budge. This morning I had some extra time, which is rare. I found this web site after I typed in gum in dryer. The fabric softener sheets wet with downy worked really well but it was still some what there, so I got my magic erase sponge out, wet it and it finished the job. My dryer looks brand new. Thanks for the tip, I was going nuts. (11/12/2007)

By RENEE SEMPLE TRACY ,CA

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I have used Goo Gone in the dryer twice - once for crayons & once for gum. After I got the gunk off, I wiped the inside of the drum really well with a wet hand towel, then I dried a load of washed towels. I had no problems!
    (11/12/2007)

By marie

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The dryer sheet worked, but much elbow grease involved. These posts that act like it was magical must have been smoking something magical. It works, but it wasn't two rubs then your outta there. (11/17/2007)

By Griff

Removing Gum From a Dryer

I had a whole pack of gum that ended up all over my dryer and what I used was finger nail polish remover. It worked great and with very little effort. (11/24/2007)

By Sue

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The magic sponge did nothing, but the dryer sheet soaked in downy worked awesome! It came right off in minutes. I was so upset because the gum was all over the barrel.
    Thanks for the idea! (11/25/2007)

By Sheila

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The wet dryer sheet work like a charm. (11/25/2007)

By motheroftwosoontobthree

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My kids have left gum in their pockets several times - it infuriates me. I usually use nail polish remover which works well, but the fumes are hard to take, to say the least. Today, I ran out of nail polish remover while trying to get MORE gum out of my dryer, so I tried the wet dryer sheets. I honestly didn't expect it to work, but I tried it, and it's FABULOUS! You don't have a headache when you're done! Kudos to whoever figured this one out.
    Sharon in Phoenix (11/27/2007)

By guest

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My nephew left a pack of gum in my dryer. I tried for hours to remove it just with soap and water and it just wouldn't work! I googled "gum in dryer" and thanks to you all, I was done in 15 minutes. I recommend removing the dryer door (if you know how to replace it correctly), it makes the job 50 times easier =) Thanks! (12/12/2007)

By Marilyn

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thank you! Removing gum from the dryer used to be the worst. Thanks to these handy tips it's not a problem. The nail polish remover on the end of a q-tip is great for the clumps and the dryer sheet is a breeze on the skid marks (if you will). Great combo. Happy Holidays & Happy New Year! (12/22/2007)

By Ann

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

When I discovered the package of hubba bubba was all over my new dryer, I checked my "Queen of Clean" book and she recommended a product called Stain Devil #1. So I ran up to Hancock and got some. It probably works great on fabric, but I could tell it wouldn't help the sides of the dryer. My search on the internet led me here and I could tell within a few seconds that the wet dryer sheet would work great. Thank you so much. (12/28/2007)

By munkey

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thank you SO MUCH for the tip on the dryer sheet. Worked like a charm! (12/28/2007)

By Missy

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Two simple steps: spray gum with Spray 'N' Wash, wipe with damp rag, and scrub with toothbrush.
    (01/02/2008)

By lo joe

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Awesome! Thank-you. Damp dryer sheet worked wonders. For the difficult places I used fabric softer as suggested. (01/02/2008)

By Cheryl

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I thought I needed a new dryer, but the dryer sheet worked perfectly! Yahoo, now I can do more laundry.
    (01/20/2008)

By Andrea

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thanks for the wet dryer sheet tip; worked perfectly for me too. (01/24/2008)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Unbelievable how easy that was. Ten minutes and four lives were saved! Husband and 3 kids all leave gum in the pockets. Thanks (02/27/2008)

By Debby, Oregon

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Dryer sheet and Spray N Wash -- worked like a charm! (03/02/2008)

By CJS

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I didn't have dryer sheets or spray n' wash, so I used a scotch bright pad and poured Downy on the green side and just rubbed the gum out. I wiped it with a wet paper towel after. Took five minutes and dryer smells great.
    (03/02/2008)

By gumindryer

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I recommend a Mr.Clean magic eraser. I had gum stuck in my dryer by then mounds, I scraped off the big globs using a butter knife; then cleaned the rest with the eraser and with a little effort it came right up! (03/07/2008)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I used dryer sheets moistened with water while the inside of the dryer was still warm. No elbow grease needed. It was very easy. Thanks for the tip, I didn't think it would work! (03/13/2008)

By Tina

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Brilliant. I, too, thought I would have to get a new dryer. Several dryer sheets and a Magic Eraser later, - all clean! However, it took longer than 5 minutes, -must have had more gum. It worked well to work it with the damp dryer sheet for a while, take a break and come back and use the Eraser - came right off. I also used a putty knife to remove the larger chunks. (04/03/2008)

By CJ

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Get the dryer sheet all slimy and coat the inside of dryer with wet slimy dryer sheet, then it comes off easy with a green pad. (04/04/2008)

By Clark

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Yippee! Just finished a whole day of laundry. The last load was my husband's work clothes. I have a new front loader washer & dryer. I got a nice present left behind in my washing machine - a drill bit! I am sure my washer loved having that banging around. - Then the dryer, I took out the last of the work pants and there was green gum everywhere inside the drum - not on the pants of course! - I typed in "How to remove gum from the inside of a dryer" - very happily read the above and can confirm with almost no effort it works! Two Bounce dryer sheets and some squirts of Spray & Wash - It is all gone! Thank you. (04/06/2008)

By Koren

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I want to let everyone know that you all saved me a great deal of heartache and stress between my husband and my teenage son. My son left gum in his shorts (which I have preached until I am blue in the face to empty your pockets before putting in the washer). Needless to say we had gum all over the dryer. I found this website and tried the wet dryer sheets and with a little elbow grease got it all off! My husband is very happy. Thanks again (04/16/2008)

By Laura C. TX

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

We were out of dryer sheets, so we tried baby wipes. Guess what? They work too! (04/24/2008)

By Rick

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thank you! My dryer will be one week old tomorrow. Today, there was gum all over the inside. I used your hint and it worked. I put my dryer on hot for about 5 minutes and soaked a dryer sheet in hot water. Voila! In less than 20 minutes, the dryer is brand new again. Thank you! (04/26/2008)

By Ellen

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

For the bigger clumps, it helps to warm the dryer and use a scraper. For a scraper substitute, an old CD works well, or one of those fake credit cards we all get in our junk mail credit offers. These won't scratch or chip your drum like metal utensils can. (04/29/2008)

By Farcast40

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thanks for the great dryer sheet idea...definitely warm the dryer first. Worked GREAT! (04/30/2008)

By Sherri I. Lexington, KY

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Worked great! Minimal effort. My son had a pack of gum in his pocket and in about 25 minutes, all the gum is now removed from my dryer. (05/10/2008)

By Amy

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My hands were ready to fall off after scrubbing for an hour with no luck. I knew there had to be a better way so I typed in "remove gum from dryer". WOW, lots of kids leave gum in pants. I got my dryer sheet wet it and the gum was coming off. Thanks who ever discovered this. I also use dryer sheets to get bugs off my car. It works great. (05/16/2008)

By linda d

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My daughter wants to thank you and thank you. The dryer sheet worked, the dryer being hot worked well and the sheet wet with cold water was a god send. She is 8 and really thought she was in so much trouble. We thank you again and again. I'll bet she never leaves gum in the pockets again. (06/11/2008)

By SHERRY PERRY, MO

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

A little role reversal here. My wife left gum in her pants pocket and since I do all the laundry I was the one left with the mess. A wet Bounce dryer sheet, after running the dryer empty for 10 minutes to get it hot worked perfectly, quickly and easily. (06/26/2008)

By Geni's Husband

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Great idea! My husband left gum, or what may be Starburst candy in his pockets. Dryer sheets work great to shine up kitchen/bathroom faucets too. Use a dry one. (07/14/2008)

By Melissa

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

We had gum in the dryer yesterday - Bubbalicious bubble gum to be exact. Even after warming the dryer and using hot soapy water on a sponge, we weren't getting anywhere. I thought of what works best on organic stains and I sprayed the spots with OxiClean laundry stain spray, and everything wiped right off with a paper towel and no scrubbing. My dryer smells super fresh now too. (07/31/2008)

By Lucy

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I had gum all inside my dryer and of course I ruined all my clothes. But I got some ideas after reading all these stories. I didn't have liquid fabric softener so I used oven cleaner. It actually had a lemon scent to it and it smelled pretty good. Anyway, I then used a dryer cloth and rubbed it in the oven cleaner and it came right off. I then went over it with the magic eraser and it finished off the loose parts I missed. I finally wiped a wet rag in the dryer and it looked brand new! Worked great and took approx 10 mins. (08/06/2008)

By psu6299

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Also, what works great is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (08/08/2008)

By April

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Before checking this website. I scrubbed and scrubbed with soap and thought I would never get the gum out. Then I decided to google it and sure enough it was on the internet. I sprayed the inside of the dryer with OxyClean let it sit for a minute and used dryer sheets to wipe the gum off and they worked great! The dryer was still warm too :) Thank you everyone. (08/29/2008)

By Eman

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Spray simple green, let it sit, and use sham. Wow, works like wonders. (09/01/2008)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My mom washed my clothes and I forgot to look in my pants pockets. When she opened the dryer all the clothes were covered in gum, and when she took out the clothes the drum had a lot more gum. So I scrubbed with hot water, alcohol, and a steamer, and those did not work. So I found this site and used oven cleaner with a dryer sheet and it worked. Thanks. (09/01/2008)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Something that works better than a dryer sheet is Fabreeze fabric refresher. Very little scrubbing required.
    (09/02/2008)

By Sue

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

OMG! I am so thankful for this website. Tonight I did laundry not realizing that I had a pack of gum in my shorts and it about ruined the brand new dryer my father in law bought. I was in a total panic & didn't know what to do. I didn't say anything and instead I came online and did a web search on removing gum from a dryer and this website came up. I did the dryer sheet advice and it worked awesome! I soaked a dryer sheet with hot water, turned on the dryer for a few minutes and then cleaned it with the sheet and the gum came right off in seconds! Thank you so much! (09/14/2008)

By Thankful

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My daughter's friend was like many here and figured she would be in trouble. Well, her and my daughter scrubbed and scrubbed before they told me. Anyway, I heated the dryer, used some liquid detergent on the scouring side of a sponge and in no time the gum and ink (prior occasion) came out. Wiped it with a clean damp cloth and all is right with the dryer. (09/18/2008)

By Andi

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I've never seen a dryer so coated with gum. My husband left a whole pack of gum in his work pants. The magic eraser worked beautifully, thanks so much! (09/28/2008)

By CCA

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I'm glad I googled this subject. I used Oxyclean laundry spray and a dryer sheet and wiped it out with a damp towel. Took me 10 minutes. Thanks everyone! (09/30/2008)

By Sheri

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I tried the wet dryer sheet, it worked great. Thanks for the great advice. Not even Heloise could have given that advise, LOL (10/09/2008)

By soccermom

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I just used a Bounce sheet soaked in warm water and voila, it worked! It even took out the blue pen ink stains I had in the dryer also. Thanks! (10/12/2008)

By Yolanda

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thanks. I used a wet dryer sheet, and warmed up the dryer for a couple of minutes. Took every bit off. (10/16/2008)

By connie

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My wife was upset with me, as I left a full pack of gum in my dress shirt. It made a total mess of the dryer. I googled a solution and hit this site first. AMAZING! I heated up the dryer for about 5-8 mins. Took the damp Dryer Sheet as suggested. Voila, within seconds all the gum came out; and it smells fresh too. A huge thank-you to all who posted this! I'm in the Wife's good books again. Wooo Hooo! (10/29/2008)

By JAMNJohnny

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I tried the dryer sheet, and it worked. Unfortunately, it takes a while to get it all. I tried spraying Simple Green and a scrubber. Came right off. (11/14/2008)

By Nick

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My 18 year old was home for Thanksgiving and left a huge pack of gum in his pocket. Major mess. I used the dryer sheet after heating it up and it worked like a charm. (11/30/2008)

By Lee

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

A wet dryer sheet works wonders on removing gum. Run dryer for bout 5-8 mins then use wet dryer sheet to remove gum. It takes a little scrubbing, but it does work. Also, Goo Gone will remove gum too. (12/05/2008)

By In Florida

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Didn't have gum in the dryer, but had it all over the washing machine. I tried the wet dryer sheet in the washing machine and it worked. Although the basin isn't warm like the dryer, if you run the dryer sheet under hot water and scrub, it comes right off. Amazing tip, thanks! (12/07/2008)

By Lori

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Thank you so much! The wet dryer sheet worked great. (12/16/2008)

By Dixie

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

So as seldom as my roommate actually does his laundry, he totally washed not only a whole pack of spearmint orbit, but also 3 pens and a total of 37 cents. As I go to start my laundry load I noticed all this stuff in the bottom of the washer, I slowly opened the dryer door (should of had jaws music playing in back ground) and saw a ton (I mean literally a ton) of green gum in my dryer! I can't wait to get home to try the dryer sheets! FYI; soap and water doesn't work. Thanks to all of y'all, for these tips. (12/31/2008)

By In Need Of A New Roomate , VA

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I put my clothes in the dryer and they had gum in the pockets. It got everywhere and had no idea how I was going to get it off. So I got online and used the dryer sheets and rag and water. It worked out good. Thanks everyone.
    (01/13/2009)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Don't forget to wet the dryer sheet in warm water before you try and scrub. It is very helpful! :) (01/14/2009)

By Diaz

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I ran the dryer for 10 minutes and tried the dampened dry sheet. It was working but then I switched to a Magic Eraser. It worked almost twice as fast. Start with the Magic Eraser if you have one. (01/19/2009)

By Zoe

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

No need to warm up the dryer, that makes it gunky. Leave it cold, get a dryer sheet, dip it in a glass of hot water, and scrub away- it's awesome- takes it right off! (01/27/2009)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Goo Gone is magic, worked for me. Let it sit on the gum for a few seconds then use a chisel, spatula, or thin item, maybe a credit card (obviously an old one you don't care about) and the gum scrapes right off. (02/05/2009)

By Lisa

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

The wet dryer sheet works amazing. Minimal elbow grease was needed and the gum was cleaned up completely. (02/08/2009)

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Excellent advice! I wet the dryer sheet and put it on top of a nylon scrubbing pad. Gum removal was actually easy! (02/17/2009)

By ALICE

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

How do you remove chewing gum from the dryer?

Colin

Feedback:

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I used a plastic spatula and scraped it off after putting snuggle fabric softener on it. It worked really well. racer (03/10/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

A little WD40 on a rag works great! I always wipe it clean with a damp cloth before I put clothes in. (03/11/2009)

By jillian357

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

OK, I just had the same problem and I was really upset. I took the advice of: fabric softener sheets. This is the way to go. What people forgot to tell ya is that you must soak the sheets completely, lay them over the gum spots, and let it sit there for over ten minutes. When you go back to the dryer, wipe it all off. It's so easy I almost fell over. You may have to rotate the drum and do each spot, but it's so worth it! Thank God for the internet and smart people! (05/19/2009)

By angelkattexas

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I just used bounce dryer sheets soaked in water. I put them on the heaviest gum spots and let it sit
    there for 5-10 minutes. It was very easy to wipe off. (05/28/2009)

By Laura W.

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

I tried using wet dryer sheets just like you said! What a lifesaver. It took about 30 minutes to remove all the gum but it was so worth it. (06/05/2009)

By amh4959

Archive: Removing Gum From a Dryer

Getting dried gum out of a dryer? Downy, straight Downy fabric softener. I took handfuls of it, and smeared all over the inside of my dryer, waited 10 minutes, and it wiped right out with a dry cloth.

By Theresa from Arthur

Feedback:

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

My husband had a full pack of gum in the dryer for 70 minutes. It was nicely smeared throughout the entire dryer. He tried scrapping it off with a spatula and it did nothing. Out of frustration I went to the internet, Whoever said to use dryer sheets is a genius! Soak any brand of dryer sheet in water, place on gum spots, soak for 10 minutes. Rub off with the same dryer sheets. It was off in 5 minutes! Thank you.

P.S. My dryer was stone cold when I applied the dryer sheets. (02/15/2010)

By nessaapodaca

RE: Removing Gum From a Dryer

If you run the dryer for a few minutes to soften the gum, without any clothes in it, of course, it makes it easier to wipe the gum out with the dryer sheet. (04/03/2010)

By Wendy1999

Archive: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I found a solution to get dried gum out of my dryer. It was to use a washcloth and the liquid Shout it Out. I would spray the Shout it Out and let it soak and then a few minutes later use the washcloth and it would come off fairly easy.

Chibi

Feedback:

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

This works to get gum out of carpet, so it should work in other places too: peanut butter. Just spread/smear peanut butter on the gum and it will break the nasty stuff down. (They ought to outlaw that vile substance). (10/15/2004)

By Alph

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I just read this forum to see what other people said. I would say that the Goof Off will give the best results. In a dryer drum use the new gel Goof Off for best results. The gel will help to get the drum all the way around clean. (12/05/2004)

By sears associate

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

My oldest son left a whole pack of gum in his jeans pocket and my brand new dryer was laced with sticky residue. I just used Spot Shot Emergency Stain Wipes. It worked like a charm, took about 5 minutes to clean up and did not leave a strong odor afterward! I swear by it. This will become a regular in my household for the "emergencies" caused by my sons. (01/02/2005)

By Angela

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

Damp dryer sheet worked like a charm. Dried up gum in the dryer came off with very little elbow grease in about 10 minutes. Thanks. (04/21/2007)

By Dave C.

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

Rubbing alcohol works as well. Put the alcohol on the gum, let it set for about a minute and wipe it off. It takes a little elbow grease, but it makes the dryer look shiny and brand new. (05/31/2007)

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I found that the Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner works really well. Just spray it on section by section and let it sit. I scrubbed it with a textured sponge. (08/09/2008)

By Troy

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I didn't have any Shout, so I used the Spray N Wash with Resolve in it, with the dryer sheets and it came off really easily! Thanks everyone. (08/15/2008)

By Kimmy

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I accidentally left gum in my pockets. I warmed up the dryer and sprayed on Oxiclean and used a sponge to wipe it away. Perfect! (09/02/2008)

By Melissa

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

Wow, Spray and Wash and the Bounce sheet worked like a charm, fast and easy. Within 5 minutes my extra large dryer drum was spic and span and free of any gum, thanks to all. (09/11/2008)

By Diana

RE: Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I love this sight. I used Glade Fabric and Air and sprayed it into the dryer, let sit for seconds and then used several dryer sheets and scrubbed it right out within 15 minutes. Thanks to you all for your help and advice. I thought my new dryer was wasted. (10/05/2008)

By Allison in WY

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesDecember 2, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
    Making Dryer Sheet Angels
    young boy blowing huge bubble
    Removing Gum From Carpet
    Removing Gum From Shoes
    Removing Gum From Shoes
    Removing Gum from Hair
    Removing Gum from Hair
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:48:47 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings