Removing Garlic Smell From Jar Lid

I like to keep and reuse glass jars from food products for storage, crafts, etc. I recently used up the last of my bottled garlic and love the jar. The only problem is that the cap still smells strongly of garlic even after hand washing, several dishwasher cycles, soaking in white vinegar, and soaking in lemon juice. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? Thanks!

Tracey from Chisholm, MN

Best Answer

Try closing some coffee grounds in the jar (tightly sealed) for a week or so, and see if that helps?

Best Answer

I have good luck with using a piece of newspaper, the blacker - with ink - the better. Just stick it down in the jar and screw the lid on. It may take several days, and you might want to change the newspaper after about a week. I just habitually do this with any jar I want to save and when I get ready to use it I only have to give it a wash and it is good to go. Hope this will be helpful to you.

Best Answer

You might let it sit in fresh kitty litter for a while and then wash in the dish washer, or maybe let it sit out in the sun for several hours.

Best Answer

Try putting some baking soda, dry or slightly dampened, into the lid and letting it sit for a week or so. Baking soda is a good deodorizer, and the opposite of the acidic things you have been trying, so it might do the trick for this. If this, or the other things don't work, might be easier to look for a matching lid from some other jar.

Try rubbing vanilla flavoring on the lid - then soak a cotton ball w/vanilla - place in jar, seal w/lid and let sit a few days - I do this with smelly coolers and it works like a charm.

Try letting it soak with some stainless steel silverware in it. That's all the expensive "miracle" bars that get rid of garlic smell from your hands are. It really does work!

A shelf full of jars of preserved fruits and vegetables.
Removing Odors from Jar Lids
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 14, 2008
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
pan with lid
Removing a Lid Stuck on a Pan
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
🎉
🎄