AdviceDogs

Feeding A 3 Week Old Puppy

I have a 3 week old blue Pit Bull puppy that is away from mother. What should I feed him and for how long?

Ahmad

Best Answer

The best option is to have mother's milk, but barring that the vet has puppy formula you can use. I had a puppy that's mother didn't produce enough milk, so I took over his care when he was 3 days old. The owner of the mother didn't realize their was a problem until most of the pups died. Only 2 of the litter of 6 survived, the one I got and one another.

The above poster gave some good advice. Puppies don't expell their waste without stimulation. A damp paper towel will take care of that problem.

When the puppy is old enough to start eating puppy chow, the only thing I would recommend differently than the above post is to soften the puppychow with water, then mix cottage cheese in with it. This cuts down on the diarhea.

I would call a local vet for one thing. There are also TONS of websites about how to care for animals.

hopefully the circumstance that you got this dog so early are justifiable.. puppies shouldn't leave their mother's till 8weeks.

anyways, at that age, the mother dog still licks the puppies butt to stimulate the puppy to pee and poop, then she licks it up. (you might be able to copy this by rubbing the puppy dog there >_>) peeing and pooping is most likely to occur after eating and after waking up from naps. if you give her puppy chow, make sure to water it down into mush. also, I hope you are using the appropriate puppy milk, as cow's milk is a big no-no. you might be able to use Goats milk if you can't afford the proper puppy milk, but it still doesn't have all the necessary nutrients. can you take the puppy to the vet for extra information? he can guide you through the process.

at 4weeks you can start her on the mushed puppy chow with the milk supplement. but continue the milk supplement till week 6 if possible.

yes it is normal for the poop to be runny and to come out so fast after feeding. puppy's can not control their bowl movements or "hold it in", so it just comes right out. think about why it's so runny.. she hasn't had any solid food ^^;

at 3 months old they can hold it in for about 3hrs if trained, 5months 5hrs, 7months 7 hrs etc etc.

Wanna know what really works? Goat milk! In your grocery store or health food store, clean and safe, and your puppy will shift into high gear and GROW!

I'm currently in Afghanistan serving on a deployment, and vets and puppy milk aren't easy to come by. However, there's a 3-4 week old puppy that wandered onto our base and we are trying to care for it, because it's good for morale and well, it just won't leave. Any suggestions on what we should give it?

My mom and I had to raise a 3 week old Pug because the mom had dried up from milk. We took it to the vet and they said keep it on puppy mush, which is puppy food and hot water mashed up and to also give it some milk replacement. You can get it from Walmart or any place that sells dog supplies.He is now 6 months old and is as healthy as ever.