Feeding A 3 Week Old Puppy

I have a 3 wk. old blue Pit Bull puppy that is away from mother. What should I feed him and for how long?

Ahmad

Showing: Answers Sort

By charissa 1 1 Flag

I would call a local vet for one thing. There are also TONS of websites about how to care for animals.

hopefully the circumstance that you got this dog so early are justifiable.. puppies shouldn't leave their mother's till 8weeks.

anyways, at that age, the mother dog still licks the puppies butt to stimulate the puppy to pee and poop, then she licks it up. (you might be able to copy this by rubbing the puppy dog there >_>) peeing and pooping is most likely to occur after eating and after waking up from naps. if you give her puppy chow, make sure to water it down into mush. also, I hope you are using the appropriate puppy milk, as cow's milk is a big no-no. you might be able to use Goats milk if you can't afford the proper puppy milk, but it still doesn't have all the necessary nutrients. can you take the puppy to the vet for extra information? he can guide you through the process.

at 4weeks you can start her on the mushed puppy chow with the milk supplement. but continue the milk supplement till week 6 if possible.

yes it is normal for the poop to be runny and to come out so fast after feeding. puppy's can not control their bowl movements or "hold it in", so it just comes right out. think about why it's so runny.. she hasn't had any solid food ^^;

at 3 months old they can hold it in for about 3hrs if trained, 5months 5hrs, 7months 7 hrs etc etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 Flag

Wanna know what really works? Goat milk! In your grocery store or health food store, clean and safe, and your puppy will shift into high gear and GROW!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Katrina 1 Flag

The best option is to have mother's milk, but barring that the vet has puppy formula you can use. I had a puppy that's mother didn't produce enough milk, so I took over his care when he was 3 days old. The owner of the mother didn't realize their was a problem until most of the pups died. Only 2 of the litter of 6 survived, the one I got and one another.

The above poster gave some good advice. Puppies don't expell their waste without stimulation. A damp paper towel will take care of that problem.

When the puppy is old enough to start eating puppy chow, the only thing I would recommend differently than the above post is to soften the puppychow with water, then mix cottage cheese in with it. This cuts down on the diarhea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Im currently in afghanistan serving on a deployment, and vets and puppy milk arent easy to come by. However, theres a 3-4week old puppy that wandered onto our base and we are trying to care for it, because its good for moral and well...it just wont leave. Any suggestions on what we should give it?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My mom and I had to raise a 3 week old Pug because the mom had dried up from milk. We took it to the vet and they said keep it on puppy mush, which is puppy food and hot water mashed up and to also give it some milk replacement. You can get it from Walmart or any place that sells dog supplies.He is now 6 months old and is as healthy as ever.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Feeding a Puppy
Feeding a Puppy
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 27, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Feeding a Puppy
Feeding a Puppy
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:00:42 PM on 10.0.2.127 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings