Dog Wetting Its Own Bed

I have a 8 year old Pit Bull. She has never had a peepee problem before, but now she keeps wetting her own beds (3 of them in different parts of the house). She has a doggie door and can go out anytime she wants. She even does it while we're home. We had a 2 lb. Chihuahua that was the queen bee, who passed away 2 months ago. Could this be affecting Isabella, and why so long after Mia's passing? What can I do for her?

By Terryann

Best Answer

If the two dogs were close that well could be the problem...but first be sure to take you dog to your vet to get her checked out for possible medical problems. If you dog gets an all clear from the vet, then there are things you can do to help your pet past her grieving.

I have a question for Terryann and Ray M. regarding their dogs' problems with urinating on themselves or in inappropriate places and times.

How old were your dogs when they were neutered or spayed?

We were told by our vet whom we've learned to trust just as we trust our own personal physician that spaying or neutering before a puppy's urinating tract is fully developed will most likely cause problems with their urinating habits in later life. It can show up immediately or at any time thereafter. Also, the way which the spaying and/or neutering was done is a factor. This is true for both puppies as well as for kittens.

There are perfectly reputable vets who can tell immediately if the job was done carefully and right or too early. Ask your own vet first, and if you get an answer that just doesn't sound right to you, then go to another vet.

Because there are so many homeless dogs and cats everywhere, early spaying and neutering has become a way of controlling the over-population, and if done correctly and at the right time, it is 100% effective.

Because so many animals end up in shelters, and the only way they are allowed to be adopted is to agree to (and pay for) the spaying and neutering prior to being taken. There should be ways of birth control for animals the same as for humans that are a lot less expensive and invasive. It would certainly help to control pets who are allowed to run loose such as farm dogs and cats. Who wants to keep drowning unwanted puppies and kittens?

If everyone would start questioning neutering and/or spaying done too early, maybe we can get someone to come up with the birth control pills for our pets which will allow us to adopt them without the surgical procedures being performed at all. Too many pets end up being taken back to shelters because people simply cannot live with a "leaky dog or cat". Many of those family pets end up being euthanized needlessly and is a growing problem.

Be sure to have your dog checked for diabetes. Excessive thirst and urination are often the 1st sign of diabetes. You dog is the right age for it. It is not hard to treat and the dogs do fine with treatment.

My sister had the same problem and took her dog to the vet last week. She found out her dog has diabetes.

Have your vet examine your dog. There could be a number of health issue including loosing control of his bladder. Dogs develop health issue just like human senior adults. There is no reason to put your dog down if having him wear a diaper at night will solve the problem. A UTI is treatable but again your dog must see his vet. A UTI can be very uncomfortable and painful. Stop guessing what might be wrong with your dog and take him to the vet.

Our 9 year old English bulldog started wetting his bed also. In fact, he would do it right in front of me! I had bought him a new bed and that was what he was wetting on. I talked to our vet, and he said to get rid of the new bed. I did, and the problem was solved. Apparently, he was trying to tell me he wanted his old bed back. This may not be your problem, but talking with your vet might add some insight.

July 15, 2011 Flag

My dog "Hoss" has started peeing where he is sleeping in the house at night recently. He has never done this before. He is only 7 years old, a German Shepherd/Lab mix. He's a big boy, about 140 pounds and is having a little difficulty getting up in the mornings. Maybe he has a UTI or needs Proin? I can't even imagine him being "put down" or even sleeping outside; he's one of my best friends. He also really stinks, maybe it's from his peeing on himself?

By Ray M from Wrightwood, CA

Best Answer

Have your vet test his urine for a urinary tract infection, like you mentioned in your post. That is a likely source of the smelly urine. My senior doxie gets them occasionally and I can tell when it's time for a urine test by her smelly urine. Ick. Easy to treat with pills. Good luck with Hoss! He looks like a sweet boy.

Syn.flex for joints. Wonderful. It will not cure but even dogs with dysplasia whose owners are ready to put to sleep get years of a near pain free pet. Takes few days to 2 weeks for relief. When it works, continue or stiff and sore joints comes back. Not very expensive. Order online. Shipping free. No, I do not sell it. I learned from a friend who had tried it on a young GS dog with dysplasia.

Thanks everyone. We (Hoss & I) appreciate it!

I just thought of something strange. Since Hoss is a bit overweight, I have been giving him a dry dog food that is specifically for older dogs and a can of Alpo premium (to make it taste good). This has been his meal for quite a while. A couple of weeks ago I thought he isn't losing any weight so I replaced the canned Alpo with some canned older, overweight dog specific stuff. That's when he started wetting his sleep spot. He also wasn't finishing his food, something he has rarely done, ever! I have since switched his food back to the canned Alpo and the dry kibble and he has not wet in the house since, weird.

Could the food change have triggered his peeing at night? I'll have to look at home tonight and report back on the brand names of the food.the new canned stuff even looked nasty to me.

A Chihuahua laying in its bed.
Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 16, 2011
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper